Old 19-08-2008, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Damons? Plums?

The message
from K contains these words:

Not alpines, then, as they don't produce runners.

That's what I thought, but I've never met wilds this big

Mine produce some fruit as big as the top joint of my little finger.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 19-08-2008, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 22:28:21 +0100, AriesVal wrote
(in article ):

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 22:21:48 +0100, Sally Thompson wrote:

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 21:56:15 +0100, AriesVal wrote
(in article ):

[19 quoted lines suppressed]

I think you must be me in a parallel universe - you too have a Tony, and
chickens. What else I wonder?

-)

I wonder? You don't perhaps have a son called Matthew - nah not possible
lol

A son, yes, but not called Matthew. Phew, that's a relief!

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through the usenet newsgroup uk.rec.gardening

Old 19-08-2008, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

I am having friends round on Sunday for a BBQ we will be 46 adults and
5 children, (A friend who is a restauranter is catering it, I am not
brave enough). I will add to his puddings by making some bowls of
Rosty's English Trifle, I will let you know how it goes down.

Hum. Try a bowl of Rustyspecial TAAAW:

A generous dollop of decent strawberry jam in the bottom of an
attractive glass bowl - but not too thick glass.

Crumble some dry sponge (or sponge fingers) into the bottom to a depth
of about 2½". (Inessential refinement - warm the bowl in a basin of hot
water so the jam soaks into the bottom of the sponge.)

Make-up enough double-strength strawberry jelly to fill the bowl to a
bit above the top of the sponge, add half its volume of (real) cream
sherry and while still hot, gently run it into the sponge, so as not to
disturb it too much.

Leave to set. (This is important!)

Make some more jelly, whichever flavour appeals, to fill up to about one
third the height of the bowl. Make the jelly double-strength, using any
fruit syrup you have spare - from tinned peaches, pineapple &c., or from
cooked fresh fruit.

Place the bowl in a basin of very cold water.

Prepare enough fruit (thinly-sliced apple, peach slices, pineapple
chunks Etc.) to completely cover the sponge, mix with the jelly, and
when it is cool enough, gently ladle it all in.

Allow to set.

Make a pint (or more, depending on the size of the bowl) of
cornflour-type custard so that it will set like blancmange. Pour over
jelly/fruit mix and allow to cool.

Cover this with a thick layer of whipped cream, and top it with
'tombstones' (upright blanched half almonds - not flaked) and tinned
morello cherries. (My version calls for them to be separated from their
juice and steeped in dark rum. The juice can be added to the leftover
rum and enjoyed as Cook's perks.)

This used to be a Rusty Household Chrimbletreat, mainly because egg
custard is UAB.¹³³

¹³³ Sheddism: Ugh! Arggh! Bleaugh!

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 19-08-2008, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message et
from Sally Thompson contains these words:

Good luck with the "you know what". As I said before, lots of very good
advice on sci.agriculture.poultry. You don't need to subscribe, you could
always just browse through the archives on Goggle Gropes.

I am having great fun with my new companions, so I hope you enjoy
yours just
as much.

There, that's got them all guessingg.

I couldn't live without my Kenwood - I use it all the time, not just for
bread-making!

Excellent for mixing compost too...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 19-08-2008, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from AriesVal contains these words:

I add olive oil to my pizza dough - adds a lovely flavour

So you should. Bread should be very short, with butter and olive oil as
shortening. (I was taught to make pizza by a native Italian. I worked in
the family - their family - ice-cream factory.)

Her youngest son saw my lunch one day - big round of pizza - and snarfed
a bit.

"Coo! Where did you get this?"

"Made it yesterday."

"It's better than my mother makes. Who taught you to make it?"

"Your mother."

"Er, don't tell her I said that..."

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 20-08-2008, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 20, 8:53*am, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 23:31:03 +0100, Sacha wrote:
On 19/8/08 17:36, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 17:25:37 +0100, Sacha wrote:

snip

I'm losing track of all this? *What am I doing - or not doing - now? ;-)

Keeping an eye on Judith, your trusty naive blonde.

Full time job, I'll tell you! *;-))

One day she will grow up and leave home

I do hope not - it would be a dull fireside without her!

She can't hang on to your apron strings forever.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

LOL - move over Sacha, Martin wants me to hold his apron strings, on
my way Martin but only if the weather is good :-)

Judith
Old 20-08-2008, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Rusty Hinge 2 writes
The message
from K contains these words:

Not alpines, then, as they don't produce runners.

That's what I thought, but I've never met wilds this big

Mine produce some fruit as big as the top joint of my little finger.

OK, wild they are, then
--
Kay
Old 20-08-2008, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 20, 2:00*pm, AriesVal
wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 23:48:57 +0200, Martin wrote:
We bake some of our bread in the oven too. It makes super pizza dough too.

I add olive oil to my pizza dough - adds a lovely flavour

We use Lidl ciabata flour to make pizza dough.

Did you - wow, I must look out for that in my local Lidl
--
Cherish yesterday
Dream tomorrow

It was Martin who introduced me to Lidl!

Judith
Old 20-08-2008, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/8/08 17:58, in article ,
"AriesVal" wrote:

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 18:45:43 +0200, Martin wrote:

There's a lot of nice things in Lidl in Whitby that we can't buy here. Things
like real German sausages and dry cured bacon. There is far more variety in
Lidl
in UK than here. OTOH we can buy good German beer for 80p/litre.

Lidl in Barnstaple has dry cured bacon, and real German sausages too, not
sure about the beer cos we don't drink it

Apparently they've got some good wine deals at present, too.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 20-08-2008, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/8/08 18:20, in article ,
"AriesVal" wrote:

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 18:03:43 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 20/8/08 17:58, in article ,
"AriesVal" wrote:

[9 quoted lines suppressed]

Apparently they've got some good wine deals at present, too.

Marks have a good deal going at the moment too - 25% off 6 bottles - we
bought more of course g but we do enjoy wine from Laithwaites which we
have delivered - pure indulgence

Laithwaites are *excellent*!

Old 20-08-2008, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

/Lidl/

Apparently they've got some good wine deals at present, too.

Their more expensive Aussie Shiraz is excellent.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Protecting Plums Jim Gardening 3 24-05-2003 10:20 PM
No plums? Bob United Kingdom 2 18-04-2003 03:56 AM
flowering plums - when to limb up? GB Gardening 0 03-03-2003 11:04 PM
Plums TheS United Kingdom 5 24-02-2003 09:03 PM
Plums A Davis United Kingdom 2 21-02-2003 05:32 AM