Old 19-08-2008, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Damons? Plums?

On Aug 18, 9:25*pm, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:
The message
from AriesVal contains these words:

I've stopped using my breadmaker. *I make my bread in a Kenwood mixer with a
dough hook. *I make two big loaves at a time using a mixture of strong
flours - this week it was a little organic white, organic wholewheat,
granary flour and some mixed seeded flour. *

The only reason I use a breadmaker is that I haven't got my (gas) cooker
connected yet.

I let the dough rise once, knock back and put into two 2 lb double skinned
loaf tins and let it rise again covered with unbleached non stick baking
paper (similar to greaseproof paper but not stick). *I then leave until well
risen in the tins, then place in a very hot oven for 10 mins, lower the heat
a little, and continue to bake for another 20 - 25 mins until cooked through
and the loaves sound hollow when tapped. *

If I wanted a fresh loaf every day I'd make barm, which, when mixed
really thoroughly into the dough, makes (exhibition-type) bread with
very fine bubbles, an no big holes.

The baker I learnt to make real bread from (though I've been making some
sort of bread since 1950) reckoned that the longer you kept strong flour
(and assuming you keep the moths, mealworms, mites out of it) the better
it became for breadmaking.

He said he never used flour for making exhibition/competition bread
until it was at least seven years old.

I'd have liked to have prised more info out of him, but unfortunately he
pickled himself to death.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Rusty what is barm?

Judith
Old 19-08-2008, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 18, 10:17*pm, AriesVal
wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 21:25:04 +0100, Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
The only reason I use a breadmaker is that I haven't got my (gas) cooker
connected yet.

Good reason to do so *I don't like the shape of a breadmaker loaf tho and
my breadmaker doesn't make enough dough for two loaves. *I make two and
freeze one for later use.

If I wanted a fresh loaf every day I'd make barm, which, when mixed
really thoroughly into the dough, makes (exhibition-type) bread with
very fine bubbles, an no big holes.

The baker I learnt to make real bread from (though I've been making some
sort of bread since 1950) reckoned that the longer you kept strong flour
(and assuming you keep the moths, mealworms, mites out of it) the better
it became for breadmaking.

He said he never used flour for making exhibition/competition bread
until it was at least seven years old.

Surely you're pulling my leg! *

I'd have liked to have prised more info out of him, but unfortunately he
pickled himself to death.

well after reading that I don't know what to think, are you saying he was an
alcoholic ?

--
Watch your thoughts; *they become words.
Watch your words; *they become actions.http://valerie.aries.googlepages..com/ariesval

I didn't like the shape of the loaves in our first breadmaker but the
second one has a normal shaped loaf size.

Judith
Old 19-08-2008, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 18, 9:17*pm, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:
The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Ask Kay about her home made bread rolls, she introduced me to
breadmakers. *Although the last twice I made them, they rose
beautifully but when I took the cling film off them they went down to
nothing again, I must be doing something wrong. *I put the cling film
on them when they are rising so that the heat keeps in.

Put the rolls under a big plastic cake box, such as is molished by that
nice Mr. Tupper. Only take it off just before you put it in the oven.

I was given a breadmaker by a friend - she said I might be able to get
it to work.

It mixed OK (well, the paddle would keep getting stuck, otherwise that
bit went according to plan), but it wouldn't bake. Neither would the
paddle come out of its bearing.

I had a look inside, but couldn't see anything obviously wrong - I
disconnected the element and tested it with a multimeter, and that was
OK.

I put it all back together against the time I wanted a small mains
motor, and when that time came, I began dismantling it again. Hum!
What's this wire, floating aimlessly above the board? Well, it can only
go - here...

Soldering-iron out, and reassembled the thing, and everything worked -
except that you couldn't leave it to get on with the mixing, 'cos it
always jammed. It made excellent bread, though, the stuck paddle always
ripped a lump of bread out on removing the loaf from the pan.

In the end I gutted it, removed the paddle, motor, belt, etc, and
plugged the bottom of the pan with a rolled-up and squished bit of
aluminium foil. Now, I mix the dough in the Kenwood Chef (with a
dough-hook), cover the pan with anything that's handy and hang it in a
warm place, and when the dough has risen properly, bung it in the
breadmaker and set it to bake.

Lovely bread.

Bloody fiddle, though.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Brilliant Rusty, I don't have a big plastic cover thing so I shall be
amusing myself looking round the hypermarket for one. I think I need
you here for a few jobs, you can't refuse as we were neighbours!! I
too have a problem with the mixing bit remaining in the bread and
actually getting the bread out of the pan, now I put a tea towel on
the floor and bang it hard, until it comes out still with paddle
inside bread. A quick flick of a tool, searching for the paddle,
flick, and it's out! There must be an easier way lol

Judith
Old 19-08-2008, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 18, 8:57*pm, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:
The message
from K contains these words:

Rusty Hinge writes

Strawberries steeped in whisky with added sugar make a fine liqueur, and
you'd never know the spirit was whisky.

I made a bottle with wild strawberries this year, and it was rather
disappointing.

Strange, since wild have a much more intense flavour, but I had the same
experience

Well, mine are sharper, but with less 'classic strawberry' flavour when
eaten raw and unpickled.

Now, pale pink as they are now, I'm looking forward to decanting the
liquor, and - making a trifle.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Recipe please!!!

Judith
Old 19-08-2008, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 18, 8:51*pm, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

On 17/8/08 22:00, in article , "Rusty
Hinge" wrote:
The message
from David Rance contains these words:

But the Normans don't know anything about blackberry and apple pie!

The French don't seem to know anything about cooking apples, either.
(Use 'cooking' how you will, as an adjective, or a verb...)

Tarte tatin? *And doesn't Calvados count? *;-))

Tarte tatin would be OK with Bramleys or codlins. The French make it
with scraps of apple-flavoured leather.

Calvados isn't cooked until it is fermented, so that doesn't count.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Behave Rusty! They do not :-)

Judith

Old 19-08-2008, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Rusty Hinge 2 writes
The message
from K contains these words:
Rusty Hinge writes

Strawberries steeped in whisky with added sugar make a fine liqueur, and
you'd never know the spirit was whisky.

I made a bottle with wild strawberries this year, and it was rather
disappointing.

Strange, since wild have a much more intense flavour, but I had the same
experience

Well, mine are sharper, but with less 'classic strawberry' flavour when
eaten raw and unpickled.

I'm not sure whether mine are wild or alpine (they were already here
when I bought the house) - suspect the latter. In a wet year like this
they can attain the size of marbles, they produce lots of runners (I let
them grow where they will and just heave out an armful when I want to
plant anything), started fruiting in May and are still producing a few
berries. I've even had enough to put a few boxes in the deepfreeze.

--
Kay
Old 19-08-2008, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Rusty Hinge 2 writes
The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:07:15 +0100, AriesVal

wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:18:58 +0200, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 15:45:06 +0100, AriesVal

wrote:

[21 quoted lines suppressed]

We use a Panasonic ABM, it's easier than using the Kenwood.

Easier doesn't mean better tho I've used both and know which I
prefer

Us too and we do too.

MTAAAW. Been using one since the 1950s, though in those days, under
supervision.

Reading review, there's a lot of variation in bread machines. Guess it
all depends on whether you were lucky enough to get one you like. We
started with a Prima, which is the one Judith remembers, and now have a
bigger Panasonic which is easier to clean than the Prima. Prima is now
being used daily by friends of ours.

And, of course, I'm not that an enthusiastic cook, so I don't have a big
Kenwood, just a little hand held beater for the (very) occasional sponge
cake (and for fluffing up mashed potatoes).
--
Kay
Old 19-08-2008, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Rusty Hinge 2 writes
The baker I learnt to make real bread from (though I've been making
some sort of bread since 1950) reckoned that the longer you kept strong
flour (and assuming you keep the moths, mealworms, mites out of it) the
better it became for breadmaking.

Many years ago in my student days I remember rescuing a large bag of
something (flour? rice?) by heating it and then sieving it to remove all
the unwanted protein.

I'd like to reassure anyone who has accepted my hospitality that that
was a *very* long time ago ;-)
--
Kay
Old 19-08-2008, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Judith in France contains these words:

Rusty what is barm?

Take a cup of strong white flour and scald it with boiling water,
stirring furiously so that it finishes as lumpless as possible, and the
consistency of white sauce.

Allow to cool, then bung in an ounce of live yeast (or a packet of dried
yeast.

Allow to work for a day, then make another pot of gruel and when cool,
seed it with a tablespoon of yesterday's brew.

From then on, just make tomorrow's barm by seeding with the previous
days, then use the remainder in the day's bread.

The improvement in flavour and texture is 'something else'.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 19-08-2008, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Brilliant Rusty, I don't have a big plastic cover thing so I shall be
amusing myself looking round the hypermarket for one. I think I need
you here for a few jobs, you can't refuse as we were neighbours!! I
too have a problem with the mixing bit remaining in the bread and
actually getting the bread out of the pan, now I put a tea towel on
the floor and bang it hard, until it comes out still with paddle
inside bread. A quick flick of a tool, searching for the paddle,
flick, and it's out! There must be an easier way lol

Best way is to roll-up a ball of aluminium foil so that it is slightly
larger than the bush the paddle goes in.

Mix the bread, tip it out when done, remove the paddle and substitute
the ball of foil, pressing it down so that it is flush with the bottom
of the pan.

Replace pan, splumph in dough, then continue as usual.

Unforget to press out foil before the next mixing, though, as you don't
want to have to go fishing amongst the casing for potential
works-jamming cylinders of foil...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 19-08-2008, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Recipe please!!!

Proper trifle, or Mother's Sherry Surprise?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 19-08-2008, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hinge" wrote:
The message
from David Rance contains
these words:

But the Normans don't know anything about blackberry and apple pie!

The French don't seem to know anything about cooking apples, either.
(Use 'cooking' how you will, as an adjective, or a verb...)
Tarte tatin? *And doesn't Calvados count? *;-))

Tarte tatin would be OK with Bramleys or codlins. The French make it
with scraps of apple-flavoured leather.

Calvados isn't cooked until it is fermented, so that doesn't count.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Behave Rusty! They do not :-)

Oh yes they do!

(And oh no I won't!)

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 19-08-2008, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:

I didn't like the shape of the loaves in our first breadmaker but the
second one has a normal shaped loaf size.

with a hole, and sometimes a blade, in it's bottom?

Oo-er!

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 19-08-2008, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from AriesVal contains these words:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 03:01:18 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France wrote:
On Aug 18, 10:17*pm, AriesVal
wrote:
[33 quoted lines suppressed]

I didn't like the shape of the loaves in our first breadmaker but the
second one has a normal shaped loaf size.

Judith

Too tall tho for the toaster and I dislike the hole at the bottom

Well, I always cut it the other way, in which case, it's just right for
the toaster.

Not rocket science. (I cherish the memory of an old fiend, long
departed, who used to toast his 'piece' with a propane blowtorch.)

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 19-08-2008, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 11:33:36 +0100, AriesVal

wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 03:01:18 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France wrote:
On Aug 18, 10:17*pm, AriesVal
wrote:
[33 quoted lines suppressed]

I didn't like the shape of the loaves in our first breadmaker but the
second one has a normal shaped loaf size.

Judith

Too tall tho for the toaster and I dislike the hole at the bottom

Which machine have you got, Val?

I think she's using hers on its side.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Protecting Plums Jim Gardening 3 24-05-2003 10:20 PM
No plums? Bob United Kingdom 2 18-04-2003 03:56 AM
flowering plums - when to limb up? GB Gardening 0 03-03-2003 11:04 PM
Plums TheS United Kingdom 5 24-02-2003 09:03 PM
Plums A Davis United Kingdom 2 21-02-2003 05:32 AM