Old 19-08-2008, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Damons? Plums?

On Aug 19, 11:33*am, AriesVal
wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 03:01:18 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France wrote:
On Aug 18, 10:17*pm, AriesVal
wrote:
[33 quoted lines suppressed]

I didn't like the shape of the loaves in our first breadmaker but the
second one has a normal shaped loaf size.

Judith

Too tall tho for the toaster and I dislike the hole at the bottom
--
Be happy for this moment.
This moment is your life!

:-) no comment to that one!!!

Judith
Old 19-08-2008, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 19, 11:45*am, K wrote:
Rusty Hinge 2 writes

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:07:15 +0100, AriesVal

wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:18:58 +0200, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 15:45:06 +0100, AriesVal

wrote:

[21 quoted lines suppressed]

We use a Panasonic ABM, it's easier than using the Kenwood.

Easier doesn't mean better tho *I've used both and know which I
prefer

Us too and we do too.

MTAAAW. Been using one since the 1950s, though in those days, under
supervision.

Reading review, there's a lot of variation in bread machines. Guess it
all depends on whether you were lucky enough to get one you like. We
started with a Prima, which is the one Judith remembers, and now have a
bigger Panasonic which is easier to clean than the Prima. Prima is now
being used daily by friends of ours.

And, of course, I'm not that an enthusiastic cook, so I don't have a big
Kenwood, just a little hand held beater for the (very) occasional sponge
cake (and for fluffing up mashed potatoes).
--
Kay- Hide quoted text -

'Scuse me, I remember you as a very good cook!!

Judith
Old 19-08-2008, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 19, 12:13*pm, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:
The message
from Judith in France contains these words:

Rusty what is barm?

Take a cup of strong white flour and scald it with boiling water,
stirring furiously so that it finishes as lumpless as possible, and the
consistency of white sauce.

Allow to cool, then bung in an ounce of live yeast (or a packet of dried
yeast.

Allow to work for a day, then make another pot of gruel and when cool,
seed it with a tablespoon of yesterday's brew.

From then on, just make tomorrow's barm by seeding with the previous
days, then use the remainder in the day's bread.

The improvement in flavour and texture is 'something else'.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Thank you Rusty, a bit like ginger pop then?

Judith
Old 19-08-2008, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 19, 11:55*am, K wrote:
Rusty Hinge 2 writes

The baker I learnt to make real bread from (though I've been making
some sort of bread since 1950) reckoned that the longer you kept strong
flour (and assuming you keep the moths, mealworms, mites out of it) the
better it became for breadmaking.

Many years ago in my student days I remember rescuing a large bag of
something (flour? rice?) by heating it and then sieving it to remove all
the unwanted protein.

I'd like to reassure anyone who has accepted my hospitality that that
was a *very* long time ago ;-)
--
Kay

LOL - I didn't have any after affects from eating your food lol

Judith
Old 19-08-2008, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 19, 12:21*pm, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:
The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Brilliant Rusty, I don't have a big plastic cover thing so I shall be
amusing myself looking round the hypermarket for one. *I think I need
you here for a few jobs, you can't refuse as we were neighbours!! *I
too have a problem with the mixing bit remaining in the bread and
actually getting the bread out of the pan, now I put a tea towel on
the floor and bang it hard, until it comes out still with paddle
inside bread. *A quick flick of a tool, searching for the paddle,
flick, and it's out! *There must be an easier way lol

Best way is to roll-up a ball of aluminium foil so that it is slightly
larger than the bush the paddle goes in.

Mix the bread, tip it out when done, remove the paddle and substitute
the ball of foil, pressing it down so that it is flush with the bottom
of the pan.

Replace pan, splumph in dough, then continue as usual.

Unforget to press out foil before the next mixing, though, as you don't
want to have to go fishing amongst the casing for potential
works-jamming cylinders of foil...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

I won't be able to remember all this so I am printing it out, thanks
Rusty.

Judith

Old 19-08-2008, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 19, 12:22*pm, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:
The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Recipe please!!!

Proper trifle, or Mother's Sherry Surprise?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Proper trifle please.

Judith
Old 19-08-2008, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 19, 12:23*pm, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:
The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

On Aug 18, 8:51*pm, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:
The message
from Sacha contains these words:
On 17/8/08 22:00, in article
, "Rusty
Hinge" wrote:
The message
from David Rance contains
these words:

But the Normans don't know anything about blackberry and apple pie!

The French don't seem to know anything about cooking apples, either.
(Use 'cooking' how you will, as an adjective, or a verb...)
Tarte tatin? *And doesn't Calvados count? *;-))

Tarte tatin would be OK with Bramleys or codlins. The French make it
with scraps of apple-flavoured leather.

Calvados isn't cooked until it is fermented, so that doesn't count.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Behave Rusty! *They do not :-)

Oh yes they do!

(And oh no I won't!)

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig- Hide quoted text -

What's new there then :-)

Judith
Old 19-08-2008, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 19, 3:56*pm, AriesVal
wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 16:50:48 +0200, Martin wrote:
We have a Panasonic SD253
http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/p_rupr/P...ad-Maker-Revie...

User manual and operating instructions downloads at
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...l#anker_220239

I found this link a direct one

http://tda.panasonic-europe-service....z3z1ea7cz656ez...

Thanks so much Martin for posting those details - very much appreciated.
I'll most likely buy one now
--
Having Good Character
doesn't always mean following the crowd.http://www.copelands.plus.com/val/

Our Martin, is one of the most helpful people on usenet, I couldn't do
without him!

Judith
Old 19-08-2008, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin writes:

| The fact that we could download an English version manual was the thing that
| made up our minds when we bought one. We didn't really want another manual in
| Polish Czech and ...

You then find that it was written by a Czech who was working from
a version that had been automatically transcribed from Japanese
into Polish :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-08-2008, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/8/08 16:14, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 08:05:00 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France
wrote:

On Aug 19, 3:56*pm, AriesVal
wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 16:50:48 +0200, Martin wrote:
We have a Panasonic SD253
http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/p_rupr/P...ad-Maker-Revie...

User manual and operating instructions downloads at
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...l#anker_220239

I found this link a direct one

http://tda.panasonic-europe-service....z3z1ea7cz656ez...

Thanks so much Martin for posting those details - very much appreciated.
I'll most likely buy one now
--
Having Good Character
doesn't always mean following the crowd.http://www.copelands.plus.com/val/

Our Martin, is one of the most helpful people on usenet, I couldn't do
without him!

It would be just Sacha and her trusty naive blonde musketeer without me.

I'm losing track of all this? What am I doing - or not doing - now? ;-)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-08-2008, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from K contains these words:

I'm not sure whether mine are wild or alpine (they were already here
when I bought the house) - suspect the latter. In a wet year like this
they can attain the size of marbles, they produce lots of runners (I let
them grow where they will and just heave out an armful when I want to
plant anything), started fruiting in May and are still producing a few
berries. I've even had enough to put a few boxes in the deepfreeze.

Not alpines, then, as they don't produce runners.

From the fruiting regimen it sounds as if you have wild strawbs.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 19-08-2008, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from K contains these words:
Rusty Hinge 2 writes

MTAAAW. Been using one since the 1950s, though in those days, under
supervision.

Reading review, there's a lot of variation in bread machines. Guess it
all depends on whether you were lucky enough to get one you like. We
started with a Prima, which is the one Judith remembers, and now have a
bigger Panasonic which is easier to clean than the Prima. Prima is now
being used daily by friends of ours.

I meant using a kenwood Chef. I baked bread (hand-kneaded) in the Aga.

And, of course, I'm not that an enthusiastic cook, so I don't have a big
Kenwood, just a little hand held beater for the (very) occasional sponge
cake (and for fluffing up mashed potatoes).

Ah, I have one of they, as well as a Bosch hand-held
liquidiser-on-a-stalk. There's a local house-clearance business, and my
next-door neighbours have a secondhand furniture and new pine furniture
shop, and they do occasional house clearances, so I get these things at
silly-cheap prices.

The Kenwood with only a bowl and the K-mixer cost £4.50; a spare bowl,
the whisk and dough-hook which didn't come with the original cost 50p;
the hand-held whisk and the Bosch thingy-on-a-stick were SFP¹º³ because
the whiskything (hic!) had been in stock for weeks, and the
Bosch-on-a-stick had been thrown out by a charity shop from which the
first-mentioned business collected rubbish. Thoughtfully, the cable had
been cut off, which meant I had to make a new one and connect it.

¹º³ Sheddi's Favourite Price¹³º

¹³ºFOC³ºº

³ººGuess?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 19-08-2008, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from K contains these words:
Rusty Hinge 2 writes

The baker I learnt to make real bread from (though I've been making
some sort of bread since 1950) reckoned that the longer you kept strong
flour (and assuming you keep the moths, mealworms, mites out of it) the
better it became for breadmaking.

Many years ago in my student days I remember rescuing a large bag of
something (flour? rice?) by heating it and then sieving it to remove all
the unwanted protein.

I'd like to reassure anyone who has accepted my hospitality that that
was a *very* long time ago ;-)

My hero!

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 19-08-2008, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from AriesVal contains these words:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:25:53 +0100, Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
The message
from AriesVal contains these words:

Too tall tho for the toaster and I dislike the hole at the bottom

Well, I always cut it the other way, in which case, it's just right for
the toaster.

Not for the way the Hinari makes it - a sort of big tubby square - doesn't
make a normal looking slice whichever way it's cut

Evidently it's been rebored too many times.

Obviously needs another rebore and a sleeve...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 19-08-2008, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

/barm/

Thank you Rusty, a bit like ginger pop then?

Well, you'd have a job drinking it.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Protecting Plums Jim Gardening 3 24-05-2003 10:20 PM
No plums? Bob United Kingdom 2 18-04-2003 03:56 AM
flowering plums - when to limb up? GB Gardening 0 03-03-2003 11:04 PM
Plums TheS United Kingdom 5 24-02-2003 09:03 PM
Plums A Davis United Kingdom 2 21-02-2003 05:32 AM