Old 18-08-2008, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Damons? Plums?

On Aug 18, 2:50*pm, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 13:33:01 +0100, Sacha wrote:
On 18/8/08 11:20, in article
, "Judith in
France" wrote:

On Aug 18, 9:56*am, Martin wrote:

snip

Not at all. It's how I learnt the word had a double meaning. *
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Explain please?

Judith

A 'finocchio' is Italian slang for a gay man.

and the names of a small town near Frascati and a US legal firm.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

I must try Frascati again when I can drink, I am on a self-imposed
wine free week, too much bubbly this weekend! (Also if truth be told
but keep it quiet, the niggling, prickling of cystitis which can be
nipped in the bud if caught quickly, so I am drinking gallons of
Cranberry juice - ugh)

Judith
Old 18-08-2008, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 18, 3:29*pm, K wrote:
Judith in France writes

Ask Kay about her home made bread rolls, she introduced me to
breadmakers. *Although the last twice I made them, they rose
beautifully but when I took the cling film off them they went down to
nothing again, I must be doing something wrong. *I put the cling film
on them when they are rising so that the heat keeps in.

Do you mean cling film at the initial rising, or after you have shaped
the rolls and they are proving?

You don't need that much heat - less heat and the bread rises more
slowly (it is possible to leave the dough to rise in the fridge
overnight so you can cook fresh rolls for breakfast)

Too fast rising means looser dough.

I let the dough rise in the breadmaker. Then heave it out and shape into
rolls, which I stand in the top oven (with the door open) while I put
the main oven on to heat up. When the main oven is up to temperature, I
put the rolls in to cook, buy which time they are almost back up to
reasonable size. They do a little more rising while they themselves are
coming up to temperature.

--
Kay

Thanks Kay, I mean after I have shaped them and they are proving, I,
too, do the initial proving in the breadmaker. On this French oven I
don't have a top oven, more's the pity, that's why I use clingfilm to
keep the heat in; imparted in the initial proving.

Old 18-08-2008, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 18, 3:45*pm, AriesVal
wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 06:41:18 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France wrote:
Ask Kay about her home made bread rolls, she introduced me to
breadmakers. *Although the last twice I made them, they rose
beautifully but when I took the cling film off them they went down to
nothing again, I must be doing something wrong. *I put the cling film
on them when they are rising so that the heat keeps in.

I've stopped using my breadmaker. *I make my bread in a Kenwood mixer with a
dough hook. *I make two big loaves at a time using a mixture of strong
flours - this week it was a little organic white, organic wholewheat,
granary flour and some mixed seeded flour. *

I let the dough rise once, knock back and put into two 2 lb double skinned
loaf tins and let it rise again covered with unbleached non stick baking
paper (similar to greaseproof paper but not stick). *I then leave until well
risen in the tins, then place in a very hot oven for 10 mins, lower the heat
a little, and continue to bake for another 20 - 25 mins until cooked through
and the loaves sound hollow when tapped. *

Delicious!
--
Watch your thoughts; *they become words.
Watch your words; *they become actions.http://valerie.aries.googlepages..com/ariesval

The bread is fine in the breadmaker, it's just my rolls are not doing
as well as Kay's. I too have a big Kenwood with a doughhooh and I
always used that until the breadmaker was bought. I wonder if I can
get the non stick baking paper you mention in France? Where do you
buy it Val as I could pick up some in September when I visit my girls.

Judith
Old 18-08-2008, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 18, 12:12*pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,
Judith in France writes:

| You were at the Sorbonne Nick? I was there at Place Sorbonne this
| weekend and eating breakfast there, isn't it a wonderful, wonderful
| building?

Just as a tourist! *It is certainly attractive, but I am not a great
building person.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

It is one of my favourite buildings in Paris.

Judith
Old 18-08-2008, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/8/08 14:39, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

On Aug 18, 1:33*pm, Sacha wrote:

snip

A 'finocchio' is Italian slang for a gay man.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

How come you know all these things!!!!

Judith

My ex was half Italian so I suppose you could put it down to my misspent
youth! ;-)

Old 18-08-2008, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 18, 4:48*pm, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 08:00:59 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Aug 18, 3:53*pm, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 06:39:32 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Aug 18, 1:33*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 18/8/08 11:20, in article
, "Judith in

France" wrote:
On Aug 18, 9:56*am, Martin wrote:
snip

Not at all. It's how I learnt the word had a double meaning. *
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Explain please?

Judith

A 'finocchio' is Italian slang for a gay man.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

How come you know all these things!!!!

Part of being a successful musketeer?

What am I then, the dozy one lol

The naive blonde?
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

How gallant of you Martin, I gave you a chance to poke a little fun at
me, but as ever you are a gentleman :-)

Judith
Old 18-08-2008, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Judith in France writes
On Aug 18, 3:29*pm, K wrote:
Judith in France writes

Thanks Kay, I mean after I have shaped them and they are proving, I,
too, do the initial proving in the breadmaker. On this French oven I
don't have a top oven, more's the pity, that's why I use clingfilm to
keep the heat in; imparted in the initial proving.

I think the fact they collapsed suggested they had risen too fast, with
large air spaces and little strength, so I'd suggest rising and proving
somewhere less warm. I might be completely wrong, though!
--
Kay
Old 18-08-2008, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Gordon H writes:

| Thanks, they looked like what I have always regarded as damsons.
| It just seems a strange choice of tree to line a park!

Why? They have lots of white flowers in spring,

True.

and a very suitable
growth habit.

Yes. and I have fishing line over one branch from which I suspend one of
my bird feeders. :-)

Downside: They propagate themselves quite easily, hence I have to
watch for the seedlings every year and pull them up before they become
very difficult, especially as they drop through my Weigela (sp?).
--
Gordon H
Old 18-08-2008, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Gordon H writes:

| Downside: They propagate themselves quite easily, hence I have to
| watch for the seedlings every year and pull them up before they become
| very difficult, especially as they drop through my Weigela (sp?).

So do walnuts :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-08-2008, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

I don't like them much so rarely ate them as a child and never straight off
the bush, so I never suffered. But they're famous for stomach ache if eaten
unripe, aren't they?

Allegedly. I never suffered, and if the parents (and grandparents)
didn't hurry up amd pick them, they began to diminish.

I guess I must have been found under a groseillier de macquereau innit.

I only like the big dessert ones, the name of which I
never remember!

Bellyachers.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 18-08-2008, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Try ordering in an Italian one! (especially vegetables, say, fennel...)

No problem - I had an Italian mother outlaw and have an Italian sister in
law. I am the boring English person in the corner who winces when another
English person pronounces tagliatelle and zabaglione. It's figs you want
to watch out for....... ;-)

My late sis did a year at the University of Pisa as part of her
(Reading) Modern Languages degree. She soon learny to point at the
vegetable of her desire and ask for 'half a kilo of these...'

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 18-08-2008, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

This is making me think of a Scottish dish involving whisky and oats - can't
remember if fruit comes into it but think honey does. Is it brose -
something like that?

Ordinary brose is just oatmeal scalded with boiling water - a sort-of
instant porridge.

What you're thinking of is Atholl brose, which starts off the same way,
but has added cream, honey and whisky.

I approve...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 18-08-2008, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

No. Ronce = bramble. I didn't know that - I looked it up.

Roncerays!

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Protecting Plums Jim Gardening 3 24-05-2003 10:20 PM
No plums? Bob United Kingdom 2 18-04-2003 03:56 AM
flowering plums - when to limb up? GB Gardening 0 03-03-2003 11:04 PM
Plums TheS United Kingdom 5 24-02-2003 09:03 PM
Plums A Davis United Kingdom 2 21-02-2003 05:32 AM