Old 28-03-2009, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ophelia again

On Mar 28, 3:28*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 07:53:42 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Mar 28, 12:19*pm, Emery Davis wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
On Mar 27, 2:30 pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
Sacha wrote:
Well, it's that or mow them down. *;-) *Good holiday and did you
bring any seeds back?!
Never mind the seeds... did she bring us a stick of rock?

Yes, 1 carat each LOL. *How's your new garden coming along now? *I was
interested in your submarine thing, it will be interesting to hear
about your progress with it. *I have a new greenhouse just waiting for
my husband to put it up. *Poor man has taken an awful fall going down
a steep path to where the new veg plot will be, he stumbled, fell and
hit his forehead on a wooden peg holding, what was a step in place,
said step has since rotted. *He had a bleed all the way down past his
nose, both eyes are black. *He went to our doctor who referred him to
hospital. *Everything is o.k. Thank God, but he has to have another
follow up as his blood pressure was sky high. *It's good to talk over
the garden fence, isn't it?

Sorry to hear this news, Judith, but at least all is in hand. *Best
to Edward for a swift recovery.

-E

Thanks Emery, he is pretty poorly. *We went out to lunch today with
friends and I was the driver. *His eyes are almost shut, he can't read
or watch t.v. we have an appointment at the Clinique at 9a.m. on
Monday just to ensure that there is not an underlying problem. *I will
pass on your best wishes.

Judging from the recent well publicised skiing accident, Edward should be in
hospital.

Best wishes to you both!
--

Martin

Thanks Martin, he was seen at Issoire Hospital at the time, the bleed
ha taken a few days to develop in and under his eyes. I am watching
him and on Monday he will be seen at a Clinique in Clermont to ensure
everything is o.k.

Judith
Old 28-03-2009, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 28, 4:53*pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Thanks Emery, he is pretty poorly. *We went out to lunch today with
friends and I was the driver. *His eyes are almost shut, he can't read
or watch t.v. we have an appointment at the Clinique at 9a.m. on
Monday just to ensure that there is not an underlying problem. *I will
pass on your best wishes.

Give him a cork to take with him au clinique - these French medics have
a habit of administering underlying remedies...

--
Rusty

Oh the dreaded suppositories!!!! Mind you they work very fast in the
case of pain relief.

Judith
Old 28-03-2009, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 28, 5:45*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 28/3/09 16:53, in article
, "Rusty_Hinge"

wrote:
The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Thanks Emery, he is pretty poorly. *We went out to lunch today with
friends and I was the driver. *His eyes are almost shut, he can't read
or watch t.v. we have an appointment at the Clinique at 9a.m. on
Monday just to ensure that there is not an underlying problem. *I will
pass on your best wishes.

Give him a cork to take with him au clinique - these French medics have
a habit of administering underlying remedies...

They work though and it's said to be better for the stomach, if not the
sensibilities! *;-) *Poor Edward sounds as if he's really been in the wars -
I think this even beats Judith's various gold slipper adventures! *But it's
to be hoped that if he could enjoy lunch today he's strong and we can hope
he recovers fast.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

As I type he is sitting behind me on the sofa, he is fragile, of that
there is no doubt, I hate seeing him like this, he is usually such a
strong, stoic man. He can sit in the sun tomorrow and watch me
putting together the door of the greenhouse.

Judith
Old 28-03-2009, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bobbie wrote:
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from Bobbie contains these words:
Gordon H wrote:
In message , Bobbie
writes
Ophelia wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
p.s. know anything about keeping hens?
No, but we just bought a book I think you need to speak to
Val.
I keep hens.

Bobbie
I eat them. I doubt if they'd keep more than a few days in the
fridge.

LOL Foolish boy!

Why? They are quite yummy.

Shirley not straight from the fridge? Perhaps a little singeing, a
little pepper and salt and a lorra heat.
Preferably a touch of marinade or stuffing.
BUT not my chooks. Not sure what I will do when they stop laying, but
the thought of eating one of them does not appeal.

You send them to me Bobbie, I will take good care of them, I promise!!!

now.. where did I put that stuffing

Old 28-03-2009, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:
Thanks Martin, he was seen at Issoire Hospital at the time, the bleed
ha taken a few days to develop in and under his eyes. I am watching
him and on Monday he will be seen at a Clinique in Clermont to ensure
everything is o.k.

Good! That skiing accident put the wind up me. I had a fall a couple of
months ago and I banged my head quite badly. Of course I didn't want any
fuss but David insisted on taking me to the hospital. I was ok, just glue
to stick the wound g but after reading about the skiiing thing, I realised
how stupid i had been. I will never treat a bang on the head so flippantly
again.

Old 28-03-2009, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 28, 8:41*pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
Thanks Martin, he was seen at Issoire Hospital at the time, the bleed
ha taken a few days to develop in and under his eyes. *I am watching
him and on Monday he will be seen at a Clinique in Clermont to ensure
everything is o.k.

Good! That skiing accident put the wind up me. *I had a fall a couple of
months ago and I banged my head quite badly. *Of course I didn't want any
fuss but David insisted on taking me to the hospital. *I was ok, just glue
to stick the wound g but after reading about the skiiing thing, I realised
how stupid i had been. I will never treat a bang on the head so flippantly
again.

Good for David, wise move. Our Grandson Ben slipped on ice on the
slopes a few years ago whilst staying with us, he had to have
stitches, since then, he has worn a helmet, much to his disgust :-)

Judith
Old 28-03-2009, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/3/09 21:47, in article
, "Judith in

Judith in France wrote:
[...]

I remember that fight to get them to wear helmets. Mine hated them because
they made them so hot but I insisted on them, as did their instructors.
It's more difficult to do that with adults of course, which is why Natasha
Richardson died so sadly and in a way that could have been preventable.

Old 28-03-2009, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT OT Now something else altogether! (Was Ophelia again)

On 28/3/09 22:19, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 22:10:08 +0000, Sacha wrote:

On 28/3/09 21:47, in article
, "Judith in

Judith in France wrote:
[...]

Did you try to get your kids to where bicycle helmets. Both our kids refused
point blank, because no other kids wore them. Somebody I worked with fell off
his bike and hit his head on the edge of a curb, luckily he was wearing a
helmet
that saved him from a nasty injury or worse. His helmet was wrecked.

I've taken the liberty of changing this thread's title.

Luckily, mine used bicycles very little for a variety of reasons. But an
acquaintance of mine jumped off one of those slow-moving 'tourist' trains as
it drew to a halt in a town centre, tripped and hit his head and to this
day, lives in a home with a permanent nurse. He was on life support and his
wife refused to let them switch it off but he does not have his full senses
back and they divorced many years ago. He is one I know of of three people
who have had seemingly innocent accidents involving a bang to the head, and
all have had entirely different immediate reactions and recovery rates. One
rode a bicycle into an old lady who stepped out into the road. Another was
knocked over by a dog while walking on Dartmoor and hit his head on a rock.
The bicycle incident took years of recovery and terrible short-term memory
loss, as well as being unemployable, for the young cyclist - the old lady
was fine, the Dartmoor incident appears to have led to a total loss of
memory in terms of recognising family members etc., permanent
hospitalisation and being unable even to realise that his wife has died. It
may be that it has accelerated Alzheimer's but nobody seems quite sure of
this.
In the case of Judith's husband, clearly he is being extremely carefully
monitored with really excellent care and a vigilant wife! I'm guessing
that the immediate 'bad' reaction point is passed because I don't think any
of those take days to display themselves.

Old 28-03-2009, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
p.s. know anything about keeping hens?

Yes. Kept them for 20+ years, hatched/reared chicks etc. Ask away.

Tina

Old 29-03-2009, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Now something else altogether!

Sacha wrote:
I've taken the liberty of changing this thread's title.

Thank you. I have completed it!

Old 29-03-2009, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:
Thanks Martin, he was seen at Issoire Hospital at the time, the
bleed ha taken a few days to develop in and under his eyes. I am
watching him and on Monday he will be seen at a Clinique in
Clermont to ensure everything is o.k.

Good! That skiing accident put the wind up me. I had a fall a couple
of months ago and I banged my head quite badly. Of course I didn't
want any fuss but David insisted on taking me to the hospital. I was
ok, just glue to stick the wound g but after reading about the
skiiing thing, I realised how stupid i had been. I will never treat
a bang on the head so flippantly again.

Good for David, wise move. Our Grandson Ben slipped on ice on the
slopes a few years ago whilst staying with us, he had to have
stitches, since then, he has worn a helmet, much to his disgust :-)

The children these days are used to the helmets and don't bother. I
suppose it wasn't 'cool' then. I was offered stitches or glue btw I chose
glue as the less sore option. I was warned it would leave a big scar, but
since it was on the back of my head I didn't care much

Old 29-03-2009, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in message
p.s. know anything about keeping hens?

Yes. Kept them for 20+ years, hatched/reared chicks etc. Ask away.

It seems we have a wealth of experience in this group)

Old 29-03-2009, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:
[...]

Nasty when it's on the back of the head. Glue is great instead of
stitches. I wonder why our Ben wasn't offered that choice, I would
prefer glue over stitches any day and don't mention those metal clips,
ugh the pain on removal!!!!

Judith
Old 29-03-2009, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 28, 11:21*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...
*p.s. know anything about keeping hens?

Yes. *Kept them for 20+ years, hatched/reared chicks etc. *Ask away.

Tina

Brilliant, it's great to know how experienced our gardeners are. BTW
I hope we are not offending any of the urglers with our tyalk of
birds?? :-)

Judith
Old 29-03-2009, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 29, 8:41*am, "Ophelia" wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in message
p.s. know anything about keeping hens?

Yes. *Kept them for 20+ years, hatched/reared chicks etc. *Ask away..

It seems we have a wealth of experience in this group)

We have, we should have a sub-group "Expert Urglers on Hens". There
was a business some years ago made up of some contributors here and it
was called "Expert Gardener" I think Alan Titchmarsh was involved, I
can't remember much about it, it folded, Sacha would know more than
me.

Judith

Ophelia again Judith in France United Kingdom 0 29-03-2009 10:12 AM
Ophelia Jeffrey Bryant United Kingdom 5 22-03-2009 12:29 PM
Found elsewhe Ophelia Anne Jackson United Kingdom 2 29-06-2004 10:09 AM
ATTN: Ophelia Bob H United Kingdom 0 24-04-2003 08:32 PM