Old 29-08-2011, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Default Blowing Neighbours smell away

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
I find it very amusing. Non smokers always said how much they hated
pubs because of the smoke. Now they're all non smoking, they're
closing in droves...

That's because the pubs never catered for the non smokers and they all
went elsewhere.

Like home, given no-where is allowed to cater for smokers indoors?

They lost the best part of a generation of customers
who don't see any reason to go to the pub now. There are plenty of
other places that did cater for non smokers that have a growing
customer base.

Like? In the days when smoking was allowed in public places, I can't think
of any that banned it. Given were I live they must have been pretty rare.

In this world its adapt or go bust.

Or be busted...

The hysterical anti smoking lobby got its way. It would have been
perfectly possible to either let pubs choose to be smoking or non smoking
- or to provide a properly ventilated smoking area indoors.
And the double standards are amazing. Of course smoking is a recreational
drug that no-one needs, and has anti-social consequences. But then so has
alcohol, and its use seems to be positively encouraged. And the side
effects of that cost society far more than fags do.

--
*If you can read this, thank a teecher

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old 29-08-2011, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
'Mike' wrote:
If the wind is in the wrong direction for us we get the smell from 2
Chinese, 1 Indian and 1 Fish and Chip Take Away and now a Chinese
Restaurant/Buffet.

In the other direction in the Summer, Sun Tan Oil from the beach!

and from a neighbour? Cigarette smoke :-((

Look on the bright side. No pig farm close by.

--
*Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines *

Old 29-08-2011, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2011 9:36 a.m., John Williamson wrote:
Fuschia wrote:
On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 19:41:10 +0100, Ron Lowe wrote:
So you think it's perfectly reasonable to inflict your smoking stench
on others?

A straight 'yes' will suffice.

Of course he does.
He doesn't care that it causes other people to cough,make their eyes
sore and their clothes smell.
He doesn't care that it may start an asthmatic attack.
He's happy to ignore these things.
He's a smoker.

AKA a drug addict.

Nicotine has been shown to be more addictive than heroin in a
controlled, peer-reviewed, experiment involving American college students.

That's why they deserve our sympathy. OK, so someone made a bad choice
in starting to smoke (probably as a teenager). We all make bad choices
when young, it's just that this decision is very hard to reverse.
Old 29-08-2011, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2011 10:47 a.m., The Medway Handyman wrote:

Perhaps you could cite an incident of a smoker mugging someone to get a
'fix'?

I'd wager that people have been killed for a packet of cigarettes - in
prison.
Old 29-08-2011, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 2011-08-28, Steve Walker wrote:

The selfishness of smokers has always amazed me.

They're junkies. Junkies will lie, cheat, steal, do *anything* to get their
fix. Junkies deny realities obvious to non-junkies. The life of the junky
revolves around their addiction. Nothing else matters.

How true, these clean air addicts, will thump the ground with their
heels and go purple in the face if you try to take it away from them..

Old 29-08-2011, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 2011-08-28, The Medway wrote:

Equally, I can't see why non smokers should inflict their views on smokers.

Revenge. We've had to breathe that shit for decades, and now it's our turn.

Eventually we get to the real reason.

Old 29-08-2011, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 2011-08-29, Steve wrote:

Because smokers are the ones carrying out an action and inflicting their
smoke on non-smokers, whereas non-smokers simply want them to stop doing
so. We don't care whether you smoke or not, we simply want you not to
inflict that smoke on us. If I kept squirting water around in a pub,

A better metaphor would be if you went round the pub urinating on people.

Still not a good metaphor. Passive smoking is dangerous as well as
unpleasant. How about the smokers playing Russian roulette?
Old 29-08-2011, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

In ,
wrote:
If the wind is in the wrong direction for us we get the smell from 2
Chinese, 1 Indian and 1 Fish and Chip Take Away and now a Chinese
Restaurant/Buffet.

In the other direction in the Summer, Sun Tan Oil from the beach!

and from a neighbour? Cigarette smoke :-((

Look on the bright side. No pig farm close by.

Pig farms are not that bad unless you have to go into a just opened pig
house. Turkey offal is the weapon of choice as spread on fields near
travellers.
Old 29-08-2011, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge wrote:
I find it very amusing. Non smokers always said how much they hated
pubs because of the smoke. Now they're all non smoking, they're
closing in droves...

So the predatory behaviour of brewers, discount alcohol from supermarkets
and the drink-drive laws have nothing to do with it?

You think these only started after the smoking ban? Have you tried asking
those publicans who's pubs have had to close?

--
*Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

Old 29-08-2011, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2011 5:23 a.m., ARWadsworth wrote:
Dave wrote:
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed
up with the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed
it on the garden table whether it would make any difference or would
be it be a waste of time?

I would wait until the wind blows their way and then set fire to a couple of
car tyres.

First, ask nicely, then if that fails, fight fire with fire.
Old 29-08-2011, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2011 3:53 a.m., Christina Websell wrote:

Try it. I wish my new neighbours would just smoke rather than only occupy
their house when they are going to have a huge party. A car blocked me in,
and I asked them to move (this was at 9a.m. and he said he would only be
there for a few minutes, so I agreed ok) It was there until 7 pm. and
there were people spilling into the street talking at the top of their
voices all day.
This is a quiet area, this is the 2nd noisy party in a few weeks. They will
not fit in if they continue.
They do not even seem to be living there, just using it for parties.
It drives me wild.
Tina

Noise pollution drives me up the wall, too.
Old 29-08-2011, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 23:38:48 +0100, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

He doesn't care that it causes other people to cough,make their eyes
sore and their clothes smell.

Nope, wrong again.

You DO care? But you still inflict it on them. How nice of you.

He doesn't care that it may start an asthmatic attack.

Like many other things can.

Well done, a true statement at last.
Many things cause asthmatic attacks. But that doesn't give you the
right to cause one to an innocent victim.

He's happy to ignore these things.

No I'm not.

Wrong. You have just told us that you will continue inflicting your
smoke on others.

He's a smoker.

You are a fascist.

Ah. The final resort of the lost argument.
Old 29-08-2011, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Gib Bogle wrote:
On 29/08/2011 10:47 a.m., The Medway Handyman wrote:

Perhaps you could cite an incident of a smoker mugging someone to get a
'fix'?

I'd wager that people have been killed for a packet of cigarettes - in
prison.

I've worked in prisons on a number of occasions and never once saw a
packet of cigarettes.

--
*Hang in there, retirement is only thirty years away! *