Old 18-09-2011, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default First Frost Date

On 9/17/2011 5:11 PM, wrote:
wrote:
I viewed the site with Google Chrome. I saw no adverts.
Same here.

I feel we are missing something.

I've just gone back to check I'm not going completely mad. The page Baz
posted does not have adverts. The link you click to adjust your timezone
does.
http://gardenaction.co.uk/main/weather.asp

There weren't a massive amount of adverts, and the main one, although a bit
garish, is just an advert. The ones that pop up when you mouse over links
that are taken from words in the text are /really/ annoying (they obscure
the text, and they are not related to the content. They are also misleading
because on first glance they look like part of the content, and a useful
clickable link.

The only ad I see is the Harrod's one in the green banner up top.
Old 18-09-2011, 01:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet wrote:
Always and in every group, you have to have a victim, someone
to bully and belittle. Yours is a most ugly character.

Still projecting, I see.

Hush, trolls should be in bed by now.
Old 18-09-2011, 01:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet wrote:
Anyone know when the first frost date is due?
Duh, seasonal temperatures vary across the UK.

Oh well obviously I never knew that, Janet, because otherwise you wouldn't
be able to treat me like some kind of stupid child.

If you knew it why ask.

At what point did I ask "is the seasonal temperature across the UK
consistant?" or anything even vaguely like that? Baz provided what looks
like a very useful rough guide, with an ability to adjust for location,
which perfectly answered the question. I now have my answer of a rough
time, which is not this month, which is what I expected, but after the cold
night earier this week, I thought it best to check. Having just been in the
garden at 1am to help my neighbour retrieve her yappy dog, it feels pretty
damned cold, though.

You know, for the amount of occasionally useful or entertaining comments you
make, I really can see why some people choose to killfile you.

Can you see why people treat you like some kind of stupid child?

Not people, Janet, not people.

Anyhow. As someone much more sensible than me often said, I tire of this
nonsense. You are nothing but a grumpy troll, and I should know better than
to feed you, especially after midnight. I shall endeavour to show restraint
in future, oh trollious one.
Old 18-09-2011, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote:

snipped

You can use this url below and set your area at the top of the page.

http://gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_...eg_planner.asp

If you have any problems with it give me a yell.
Baz

I had a look at the site and it seems advert free to me. However, the
time and date frame is set to events in Mid March and I can see no way
to alter it to the present date.

Peter
Old 18-09-2011, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:

Baz provided what looks
like a very useful rough guide, with an ability to adjust for location,
which perfectly answered the question.

The fact it claims to be "adjustable for location" does not mean the
results are accurate. Simple testing shows they are not. According to it,
every listed Scottish city from Highlands to gulfstream warmed West coast,
share identical first and last frost dates; mid Oct and early May.
Ludicrously wrong on all counts. Far from"perfectly answering the
question" it's a useless gimmick.

The Met Office website climate pages group info by region in a
similarly useless way.

I suggest that you look at the Climate FAQ, which won't answer your
question, but may explain why there can be no answer to your question.

First or last frost dates are a nearly completely useless concept
in the UK. Expressed in layman's terms, even the normal variation
is very large, and exceptional frosts can occur at any time, even
in many of the 'warmer' parts of the UK.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 18-09-2011, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:

I suggest that you look at the Climate FAQ, which won't answer your
question, but may explain why there can be no answer to your question.

Vicki's question.

Sorry. Since I wrote that FAQ, I have tended not to follow threads
on this topic until they start to be annoying. My suggestion stands,
but redirected.

I really could do without the atrocious dumbing-down of public
'information' - while what the Metereological Office says is true,
it is dumbed-down so far that it is grossly misleading to anyone
who is NOT an expert! As Thurber said in The Bear Who Let It
Alone:

You may as well fall flat on your face as lean over too far
backwards.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-09-2011, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote in
:

On Sep 17, 9:27*pm, Mike Lyle wrote:
On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 10:39:38 -0700 (PDT), Dave
Hillda...@abacus-nurserie

s.co.uk wrote:

[...]

I always believe first frosts come in the 3 days either side of full
moon, so you've got away with this month next will be between 9th
and 15th of October if there is a clear sky.
Then it's 7th to 13th November, but if the last couple of years here
in South Wales are anything to go by that could be tyhe start of our
snow.
Just remember, it does help if you say where you are in the UK.

Yep, that's true. Y'see, at the time of the full moon the
gravitational forces are concentrated, and they pull away the Earth's
protective layer of water vapour, thus letting in the cold from outer
space. My shaman explained it to me.

--
Mike.

Someone has to say it........
According to the ITV3 prog guide we are due for A touch of Frost
tonight

Very good.

Baz
Old 19-09-2011, 05:09 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin[_2_] View Post

The Dutch Met Office website KNRM | Koninklijke Nederlandse Redding Maatschappij gives probabilities, as you
suggested the UK Met Office should, on their website.
The Met Office gives probabilities of rainfall on their mountain area forecasts, and are currently carrying out an exercise to see what presentation of probabilities are best understood by the general public, with a view to introducing probabilities into the rest of their forecasts.
__________________

Old 20-09-2011, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 16:09:44 +0000, kay
wrote:

'Martin[_2_ Wrote:
;936911']

The Dutch Met Office website 'KNRM | Koninklijke Nederlandse Redding
Maatschappij' (http://www.knrm.nl) gives probabilities, as you
suggested the UK Met Office should, on their website.

The Met Office gives probabilities of rainfall on their mountain area
forecasts, and are currently carrying out an exercise to see what
presentation of probabilities are best understood by the general public,
with a view to introducing probabilities into the rest of their
forecasts.

Oh! You mean something like "Our forecast for tomorrow will probably
be wrong!"

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the less wet end of Swansea Bay
but moved on from Tolkien; now half way through
the complete Harry Potter.

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 20-09-2011, 11:58 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post

Oh! You mean something like "Our forecast for tomorrow will probably
be wrong!"
OK, it's great fun to mock the Met Office, but their forecasts for tomorrow are usually pretty good. They are certainly one of the things that cavers check before heading underground (along with records of recent rainfall, and indications of soil wetness and local water levels). Caving in active stream systems such as those in the Yorkshire Dales would be a good deal less safe if it weren't for the met Office.
__________________
Old 20-09-2011, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:

Do the general public understand probabilities? Even if they don't
that is no reason not to provide them for those who do.

Many of them do, well enough - after all, they are the basis of
almost all betting.

Is the probability that the forecast is correct or, for example, that
rain will occur?

Obviously the latter.

and that there is a 90-100% chance that yesterday's weather will occur
again today.

It's nothing like as high as that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-09-2011, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , kay
writes
OK, it's great fun to mock the Met Office, but their forecasts for
tomorrow are usually pretty good. They are certainly one of the things
that cavers check before heading underground (along with records of
recent rainfall, and indications of soil wetness and local water
levels). Caving in active stream systems such as those in the Yorkshire
Dales would be a good deal less safe if it weren't for the met Office.

Be interesting to see if this sudden heatwave arrives. With forecasts of
up to 83 degrees in the middle of the week then onward to frost and
snow, poor plants won't know what's hit them.

Janet

Old 26-09-2011, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 11:46:05 +0100, Janet Tweedy wrote:

Be interesting to see if this sudden heatwave arrives. With forecasts of
up to 83 degrees in the middle of the week then onward to frost and
snow, poor plants won't know what's hit them.

There was quite a sharp ground frost at Edenhall near Penrith
Wednesday last week...

--
Cheers
Dave.

First Frost - NE GA GA Pinhead Edible Gardening 5 15-11-2004 03:48 PM
First frost Sacha United Kingdom 25 15-11-2004 09:23 AM
First Frost Pam Edible Gardening 2 18-11-2003 12:02 AM
preparing (tomatoes0 for first frost in Colorado Front Range Stephen Younge Edible Gardening 5 23-09-2003 08:02 AM
preparing (tomatoes0 for first frost in Colorado Front Range Stephen Younge Gardening 6 23-09-2003 08:02 AM