Old 11-06-2014, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Horseradish

On 2014-06-10 14:17:22 +0000, Spider said:

On 09/06/2014 09:32, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 08 Jun 2014 13:44:38 +0100, Spider wrote:

On 08/06/2014 07:59, Peter James wrote:
Spider wrote:

On 07/06/2014 21:15, Janet wrote:

Something we enjoy a lot with beef, beetroot etc. So, I acquired a
small root, potted it up and it's growing away nicely.

The question is; is it a rampageous spreader I would regret letting
loose in the garden, or should it be held captive (perhaps in a large
buried pot)?

Janer

Mmm .. great stuff! I doubt it will ever take over the world, despite
its WMD status, but it is a tasty thug best confined to a large pot.

I stopped growing it the day I lifted a root and grated it to make a
sauce to accompany a roast joint of beef.

Never, ever again. It makes onions benign in comparison. People who
grow this stuff should be reported as an environmental hazard!

Peter

LOL! You forgot the eye protection, did you?! It's good for clearing
out the sinus, though ;~).

but not to be sniffed at. Wimpish Germans put salt on horse radish, this
decreases the fiery effect.

I never knew that! I put salt on most (savoury) things, so I'm now
wondering if that makes me a wimp ...?

Try a tiny dab of salt on melon. It brings the flavour out wonderfully.
--
Sacha

Rather like a sprinkling of sugar on a tomato sandwich.

Mike

sig. to follow
Watch this space.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 09:34:56 +0100, sacha wrote:

Try a tiny dab of salt on melon. It brings the flavour out wonderfully.

Pepper, too. Learned this from a French guy in La Rochelle, have done
salt and pepper on melons ever since.

On topic, I love horseradish (and all things spicy) but wouldn't dare
grow it.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 11-06-2014, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 11:35:26 +0200, Martin wrote:

On 11 Jun 2014 09:31:04 GMT, Emery Davis wrote:

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 09:34:56 +0100, sacha wrote:

Try a tiny dab of salt on melon. It brings the flavour out
wonderfully.

Pepper, too. Learned this from a French guy in La Rochelle, have done
salt and pepper on melons ever since.

On topic, I love horseradish (and all things spicy) but wouldn't dare
grow it.

Grow it in a container Emery or on a piece of waste land well away from
your own land.

I know a place with Japanese knotweed, I wonder if the horseradish would
compete with it!

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 11-06-2014, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:

[...]

and sugar on tomatoes makes them taste like strawberries, or so I am told.

I haven't tried that because I hope they'll have enough lovely
sun-ripened sweetness of their own. Yes, I am an optimist! Ime, once
you have horseradish you've got it and that's that! For years, I had it
coming up in the middle of a flower bed and never did get rid of it,
try as I might!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 11-06-2014, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-06-11 09:31:04 +0000, Emery Davis said:

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 09:34:56 +0100, sacha wrote:

Try a tiny dab of salt on melon. It brings the flavour out wonderfully.

Pepper, too. Learned this from a French guy in La Rochelle, have done
salt and pepper on melons ever since.

On topic, I love horseradish (and all things spicy) but wouldn't dare
grow it.

I don't like pepper on it and some people swear by black pepper on
strawberries but I don't like that at all.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 11-06-2014, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/06/2014 09:34, sacha wrote:

Try a tiny dab of salt on melon. It brings the flavour out wonderfully.

And pepper on strawberries makes a real difference to the flavour -
delicious.

--
regards andy
Old 11-06-2014, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Am 11.06.2014 09:17, schrieb Martin:
On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 22:43:00 +0200, Michael Uplawski

Not of Bavarian origin, I may not be an expert on the question of
“salt on horseradish” but I deem it probable that you mix up horseradish
(Meerrettich) and radish (Rettich).

In fact it is you who do.

Sorry, but he is right.

The Bavarians do serve spiral cut horseradish in beer halls and beer gardens,
not spiral cut radishes.
http://www.muenchen.de/int/en/restau...r-gardens.html

That statement on that page is wrong. Probably an error when translated
from German to English.
The spiral cut thing served as 'Radi' in bavarian beer gardens is always
a big white radish, nerver ever a horseradish.

Zefix!

Matthias

Old 11-06-2014, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/2014 15:20, Malcolm wrote:

In article , Spider
writes

Spider wrote:

[...]

No, it merely lowers your life expectancy!

And means I'll never have to share my meal with a slug :~).
It is low salt, so I've got a slightly higher lower life expectancy.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 11-06-2014, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/2014 17:21, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 15:17:22 +0100, Spider wrote:

I never knew that! I put salt on most (savoury) things, so I'm now
wondering if that makes me a wimp ...?

Salt makes taste sensitivity low.

I gave up salt because of health reasons and within a few days
realised how many flavours I had been missing.

Steve

Odd, that, because I cut down on salt for years until an infection all
but killed my sense of taste. Now that I (feel) I have to use more salt
again, I find salt increases flavours.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 11-06-2014, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:

[...]

Goodness! I've never heard that, Sacha. I shall do it, albeit
nervously, next time I have melon. I'll report back.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 11-06-2014, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

And means I'll never have to share my meal with a slug :~).
It is low salt, so I've got a slightly higher lower life expectancy.

I wouldn't bet on that, part of the sodium is replaced with Potassium

"Unfortunately not everyone should use a sodium-replacement salt. If you
have kidney disease, or are taking certain blood pressure medications, a
large increase in potassium could be harmful. Please check with your
doctor before using a sodium-replacement salt."

"Low-sodium salts typically replace some of the sodium in sodium
chloride with potassium, so they're a mixture of sodium and potassium
chloride. Potassium chloride does have a salt-like taste, but there's a
reason we've been sprinkling our steaks exclusively with sodium-infused
crystals for thousands of years -- potassium chloride can kill you.

Potassium chloride is the principle positive ion in our body's cells and
can help lower blood pressure. Unfortunately, it can also stop your
heart. In fact, potassium chloride, while safe in small dosages, is the
toxin of choice for many states' lethal injection procedures, so it's
definitely not something you want to ingest in excess. Most low-sodium
salts advise you to consult a doctor before consuming, but if you ask
us, it's safer to just stay away from non-food products, especially if
they can kill you."

Old 11-06-2014, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for the support Matthias.

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 15:57:23 +0200,
Matthias Czech wrote:
Am 11.06.2014 09:17, schrieb Martin:
On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 22:43:00 +0200, Michael Uplawski

Not of Bavarian origin, I may not be an expert on the question of
“salt on horseradish” but I deem it probable that you mix up horseradish
(Meerrettich) and radish (Rettich).

In fact it is you who do.

Sorry, but he is right.

I am sorry, too, but I am. ;-)
Zefix!

Matthias

Luja!

Michael

--
GnuPG/OpenPGP 4096R/3216CF02 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]
sub 4096R/2751C550 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]
Old 11-06-2014, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks Gary, wilco.

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 11:54:59 -0400,
Gary Woods wrote:
Michael Uplawski wrote:

I think I've read all of it, but have yet another horseradish-question :
HOW do you dig it out?

Pick a crown that you can see, dig it and the root out. The smallest
pieces remaining will start new plants.

This alone is reassuring.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 20:30:45 +0100, David Hill wrote:

[...]

Hey, I'm hypokalemic (that is, my blood is potassium poor) and I still
don't want to eat any non-food products... which is not to say that the
stuff would raise my potassium either. Some of us just don't absorb the
stuff correctly, no matter how much of it we eat.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Horseradish Tree Gae Xavier Texas 18 09-10-2005 08:45 AM
Horseradish again karen United Kingdom 2 07-05-2003 08:56 PM
Help, re horseradish karen United Kingdom 7 06-05-2003 11:20 PM
Horseradish growing ED ROGERS United Kingdom 3 03-05-2003 05:20 AM
Horseradish... Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot United Kingdom 8 03-03-2003 11:42 PM