Old 21-11-2003, 07:22 PM
hugh

Default Cannabis Growing

In message , martin
writes
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:06:30 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

"...... Any useful hints and tips for growing cannabis ........."

I have to presume you want to grow it for it's fibre, then the first thing
is to get a licence........ It's now a legal crop for fibre production..
I just wonder what happens when you burn the waste from the crop, leaves etc
after harvest.
I presume you don't stand down wind.

I believe that the active ingredient is either negligible or nonexistant
in the commercial fibre variety.

It has emerged that teenage smokers of cannabis can contract a type of
dementia. (IIRC, You And Yours, BBC R4 - was this week, I think, so
ought to be extant on their wibble)

Millions die from smoking tobacco without ever reaching the age for
senile dementia.

I neither smoke, nor advocate smoking either.

And in the future many will die from cancer of the upper respiratory
system from smoking cannabis, and younger than those who die from lung
cancer caused by tobacco smoking.
--
hugh
Old 21-11-2003, 07:22 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains these words:

It has emerged that teenage smokers of cannabis can contract a type of
dementia. (IIRC, You And Yours, BBC R4 - was this week, I think, so
ought to be extant on their wibble)

Not just teenagers; and it's not dementia, it's cannabis-induced
psychosis.The majority of users won't develop it, but there is no way of
predicting who is at risk. Unlike alcoholism it isn't linked to
prolonged or excessive use, there are no warning signals, and you don't
sober up as the drug level in the blood reduces.

The broad difference between dementia and psychosis is that dementia is
usually gradual, progressive and permanent brain deterioration;
sufferers' families usually spot it developing and have chance to
protect the person before they are in physical danger. A psychotic
episode can develop very fast out of the blue and inspire
life-threatening behaviour.

If the person is very fortunate,it may be a one-off episode from which
they make a full recovery eventually, though it may take a considerable
time.Not all people are so lucky. There is a theory that recurrence of
cannabis-induced psychoses may trigger schizophrenia in some susceptible
people.

Psychotic episodes involving dangerous behaviour often result in the
person being detained in mental hospital without their consent; which
can itself be a very difficult experience for young people.

Janet.

Old 22-11-2003, 02:07 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from bigboard contains these words:

In what way would the legal variety be distinguishable from the
illegal one,
to the eyes of a prying officialdom?

Smell, certainly. But the main way an official can tell if a crop is
legal or not, is that you must have a licence to grow it. If you don't
have a licence, pack your steel-seated pajamas, you're off to prison.

However, if you knew where it was going to be grown commercially, you
might substitute a block of something smelly where you know where to
find it.

It'd probably grow too high, or give itself away somehow.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)
Old 22-11-2003, 02:08 AM
martin

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:28:26 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

It has emerged that teenage smokers of cannabis can contract a type of
dementia. (IIRC, You And Yours, BBC R4 - was this week, I think, so
ought to be extant on their wibble)

Millions die from smoking tobacco without ever reaching the age for
senile dementia.

The word senile wasn't mentioned. Cannabis dementia can set in during
late teens.

I mentioned senile. Lung cancer can also set in when a person is
young.
--
Martin
Old 22-11-2003, 02:09 AM
David Hill

"...........It has emerged that teenage smokers of cannabis can contract a
type of dementia ....."

Must be why the keep missing out letters when they send text messages.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 22-11-2003, 02:09 AM
martin

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 23:48:39 -0000, "David Hill"
wrote:

"...........It has emerged that teenage smokers of cannabis can contract a
type of dementia ....."

Must be why the keep missing out letters when they send text messages.

LOL!

and I thought it was dyslexia :-)
--
Martin

Old 22-11-2003, 02:09 AM
Michael Berridge

CW wrote in message ...

The courts are pretty lenient these days with regard to small amounts

for
personal use & with Class C status due at the end of january it wont

take
long for many first timers who want to start growing their own .

Perhaps this might be a good time for you experts to start putting
together a FAQ on the subject ..... in theory of course :-)

I somehow suspect that growing it will still remain totally illegal
(except for the type grown for fibre) and that it would be classed as
intent to supply.
The legal variety has so little active THC that you would have to smoke
a hell of a lot to even start to think you were getting high, by which
time you would either have been very sick, or given up out of boredom.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 22-11-2003, 08:23 AM
Chris Hogg

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 18:09:18 +0000, Pam Moore
wrote:

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 01:16:21 -0000, CW
wrote:

Any useful hints and tips for growing cannabis .

I would like to hear more relevant answers to the OP's question.

I did grow some 30 years ago when the seeds were sold in Dobies
catalogue. If I recall they grew to about 5 - 6 feet high. I think I
just composted them at the end of summer, not knowing what to do with
them.
What would have happened if I had left them? they are not frost hardy
are they?

Also, what is the difference between the plants grown for leaves and
those for fibre? What about the flowers? Are they used also? I'm
innocent of these things, just curious.

Pam in Bristol

Much to my surprise, I saw large packets of hemp seed (100g IIRC) on
sale recently in my local health food store. It did say on the label
that it wasn't to be planted though, so obviously no-one would, would
they.

--
Chris

Old 22-11-2003, 10:22 AM
Anthony Anson

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

"...........It has emerged that teenage smokers of cannabis can contract a
type of dementia ....."

Must be why the keep missing out letters when they send text
messages. /\

/ \
¯||¯

And punctuation marks?

Is it any good?
Old 22-11-2003, 10:34 AM
David Hill

"............ Much to my surprise, I saw large packets of hemp seed (100g
IIRC) on sale recently in my local health food store........."

Also sacks of hemp seed in pet stores
How many remember when it was used as bait when fishing?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 22-11-2003, 11:15 AM
Jason Pope

wrote:

[...]

It is not illegal to own the seed, but it is illegal to cultivate/grow
the seed and to process the leaves etc

You see them for sale on ebay all the time!

Jason

--
Check out my ebay auctions for Passifora caerulea and edulis seeds and
Morning Glory (Star of Yelta) seeds.