Old 30-11-2003, 10:04 AM
martin

Default OT. new antispam laws in the US

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 09:23:58 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"jane" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 18:05:57 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

~On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:41:34 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:
~
~
~"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
~ In article , David

david.simp
~ writes
~
~ But just about all the return addresses are false Jane,
~
~ So how do you account for the fact that we now receive no spam on that
~ mail box?
~
~You seem to be the only one for whom bouncing leads to reduced spam. I

did
~not benefit from bouncing, and neither does any of my acquaintances.
~
~Franz
~
~I gave up bouncing a while ago. It didn't seem to reduce the spam and
~it just contributes to the junk flying around the internet.
~
~

Well after a few days of using Mailwasher I've finally got all my
friends and contacts programmed in. Now I've set up a spreadsheet in
which I shall record, over 2 weeks, the number of spams received,
number correctly identified, and number missed (ie true and false
positives). Ditto good mail. I am actively bouncing spam and
blacklisting the apparent senders.

If it's a resounding success, I shall consider letting it delete
automatically and buying the real version. We shall see!

Please await progress report in 2 weeks!

I look forward to the statistics.

I am willing to place bets on the following:
(1) Mailwasher is approximately 95 % effective in identifying spam
(2) Nearly half your attempted bounces will be rejected because many
spammers use false addresses.
(3) The majority of the successful bounces will continue to try to send
spam.

(4) some innocent victim of her bounces will formally complain to her
ISP about her spamming, eventually.

In the meantime I have had two genuine messages tagged as spam by my
ISP, one understandably, the other not and I am starting to get one or
two spam messages untagged per day.
--
Martin
Old 30-11-2003, 10:22 AM
jane

wrote:

~
~"jane" wrote in message
~ On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 18:05:57 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:
~
~ ~On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:41:34 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
~ wrote:
~ ~
~ ~
~ ~"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
~ ...
~ ~ In article , David
~david.simp
~ ~ writes
~ ~
[...]

I'll only be able to give you stats on (1) though - without taking a
very careful look, I won't be able to identify who spams me twice.
There is a way (looking at the last email date in the blacklist.txt)
but I'm not sure if I'll do it. Might do, though I suspect 2 weeks is
too short a period for that particular question. I'm more interested
in (4) do my received-at-server spam numbers drop at all. I only got
77 overnight and it's usually over a hundred, more at weekends, so it
may already be working. We shall see.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 30-11-2003, 10:42 AM
martin

wrote:

~
~"jane" wrote in message
~ On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 18:05:57 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:
~
~ ~On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:41:34 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
~ wrote:
~ ~
~ ~
[...]

If my experience is average, you'll find the amount of spam varies day
by day. If you look at the time the spam was sent, you'll also find it
comes in bursts from supposedly several different sources.
--
Martin
Old 30-11-2003, 11:35 AM

: wrote:
:
: I look forward to the statistics.
:
: I am willing to place bets on the following:
: (1) Mailwasher is approximately 95 % effective in identifying spam
: (2) Nearly half your attempted bounces will be rejected because many
: spammers use false addresses.
: (3) The majority of the successful bounces will continue to try to send
: spam.
:
: (4) some innocent victim of her bounces will formally complain to her
: ISP about her spamming, eventually.
:
: In the meantime I have had two genuine messages tagged as spam by my
: ISP, one understandably, the other not and I am starting to get one or
: two spam messages untagged per day.
: --
: Martin

I gave up Mailwasher and other freebies for the same reasons. It tried to
treat as spam my DH's daily bulletin from his running club - he would not
have been a happy bunny. I find it just as quick and easy to delete the
spam without opening them. The majority I (and presumably anyone) can tell
are spam and the others I just have a quick look without opening via
'Properties' etc.
Perhaps I don't get as many as others, but this method takes seconds.

Old 30-11-2003, 12:02 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

~
~"jane" wrote in message
~ On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 18:05:57 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:
~
~ ~On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:41:34 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
~ wrote:
~ ~
~ ~
[...]

Yes, that one is a bind. I stopped looking in detail as soon as I noticed 3
bouncees coming back for more.

There is a way (looking at the last email date in the blacklist.txt)
but I'm not sure if I'll do it. Might do, though I suspect 2 weeks is
too short a period for that particular question. I'm more interested
in (4) do my received-at-server spam numbers drop at all. I only got
77 overnight and it's usually over a hundred, more at weekends, so it
may already be working. We shall see.

I look forward to the results.

At present, I am hugely satisfied with the anti-spam service offered by my
ISP. He automatically tags possible spam and moves them into a separate
box. The stuff I see in my real mailbox is now only a minute percentage of
the total spam directed at me. In the early days I studied the tagged and
segregated junk to see if the ISP had misdirected any genuine mail. In more
than 2000 taggees, I have found not one erroneously tagged item. I now have
so much confidence in the system that I don't bother studying the junkbox
any more, I just do a bulk delete once or twice a week.

Franz

Old 30-11-2003, 02:32 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "K" contains these words:

I gave up Mailwasher and other freebies for the same reasons. It tried to
treat as spam my DH's daily bulletin from his running club - he would not
have been a happy bunny. I find it just as quick and easy to delete the
spam without opening them. The majority I (and presumably anyone) can tell
are spam and the others I just have a quick look without opening via
'Properties' etc.
Perhaps I don't get as many as others, but this method takes seconds.

I just check my log to see if anything which has fallen in loks as if it
may be genuine, then i can go to it in the saved packet and give it the
once-over.

If it is genuine, I tell the KF to make an exception to the sender, or I
modify the filter and pass the saved packet through again for unpacking.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)
Old 30-11-2003, 06:10 PM
jane

The message
from "K" contains these words:
~
~ I gave up Mailwasher and other freebies for the same reasons. It tried to
~ treat as spam my DH's daily bulletin from his running club - he would not
~ have been a happy bunny. I find it just as quick and easy to delete the
~ spam without opening them. The majority I (and presumably anyone) can tell
~ are spam and the others I just have a quick look without opening via
~ 'Properties' etc.
~ Perhaps I don't get as many as others, but this method takes seconds.

I was finding upwards of 250 a day. I filtered them within Agent, but
couldn't get filter *all* of the nasties, and since some of the
subject lines turn my stomach, I was getting to the point where I just
had to do something. Yes I delete without opening, knowing nothing
will be automatically run or decoded, but it still means you have to
read the offensive filth which is fit only for my compost heap in the
subject lines. Hence my original question and now my experiment.

The thing I like about Mailwasher is that you can feed in trusted
addresses: your running club mail should take one click to register as
friendly and then it would always get through. It filters the friends
first, which is why I didn't really start counting till today, after
I'd checked all my friends were registered.

I am much obliged to Martin for pointing me in its direction.

obGardening: pulled a pound of late carrots today!

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 30-11-2003, 06:12 PM
jane

The message
from "K" contains these words:
~

Old 30-11-2003, 06:22 PM
Ophelia

"jane" wrote in message
The thing I like about Mailwasher is that you can feed in trusted
addresses: your running club mail should take one click to register as
friendly and then it would always get through. It filters the friends
first, which is why I didn't really start counting till today, after
I'd checked all my friends were registered.

I love it. I paid for one of the early versions and have been upgrated to
Mailwasher Pro. I am very happy with it and it has taken my spam stuff
very low.

Good luck with yours

obGardening: pulled a pound of late carrots today!

Wow.. you must be very far south.. I am really jealous

Ophelia
Scotland

Old 30-11-2003, 08:10 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , martin
writes

(4) some innocent victim of her bounces will formally complain to her
ISP about her spamming, eventually.

How will they distinguish between a bounce and an invalid address used
initially by the spammer?
I contacted demon recently because of what people were saying on this
thread - their advice was . . . . continue bouncing.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 30-11-2003, 08:22 PM
martin

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 16:43:35 +0000, Jane Ransom
wrote:

In article , martin
writes

(4) some innocent victim of her bounces will formally complain to her
ISP about her spamming, eventually.

How will they distinguish between a bounce and an invalid address used
initially by the spammer?

They will see the spam coming from you, not the original sender.
If they also use bouncing, you will get it straight back.

I contacted demon recently because of what people were saying on this
thread - their advice was . . . . continue bouncing.

but then again Demon thinks that spam can't be identified and tagged.

All that bouncing does is waste bandwidth and server resources.
Somebody in Demon deserves the sack.
--
Martin
Old 30-11-2003, 09:14 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , martin
writes

They will see the spam coming from you, not the original sender.
If they also use bouncing, you will get it straight back.

But it will arrive with a message saying that the address was invalid.
Have you never had an envelope rejection reply?
It looks nothing like a valid post; it could not be mistaken for a
normal spam type post.
If you want to see what it looks like, try sending an email to abc at
jandg spot demon dot co circle uk.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 01-12-2003, 09:03 AM
Martin Sykes

I recently got some spam where the forged return address was myself so it
kept getting bounced round until I spotted it.

I found it quite amusing at the time...

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 01-12-2003, 09:22 AM
David @chaplehouse.demon.co.uk

In article , Jane Ransom
writes
In article , martin
writes

(4) some innocent victim of her bounces will formally complain to her
ISP about her spamming, eventually.

How will they distinguish between a bounce and an invalid address used
initially by the spammer?
I contacted demon recently because of what people were saying on this
thread - their advice was . . . . continue bouncing.

I had a similar conversation with Demon but when I pointed out that if
the return address was invalid it would just be bounced back, their
response was "well just delete them then", I challenged them on what
they were doing to reduce/eliminate spam and it appears the answer is
absolutely nothing (unless its coming from a demon account)
--
David

Even chickens get a better life under new animal laws [email protected] United Kingdom 0 15-07-2004 01:16 PM
LAWS ABOUT DIVERTING WATER janet Ponds 24 22-01-2004 09:53 PM
LAWS ABOUT DIVERTING WATER janet Ponds 0 19-01-2004 10:01 PM
Monsanto Uses Canadian Taxpayer Money to Violate Foreign Laws Case highlights need for strong Biosaf Tom Jaszewski Gardening 0 02-09-2003 05:02 AM
Messy laws Starlord Gardening 5 26-04-2003 01:20 PM