Old 05-01-2005, 11:51 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
wrote:

but there wasn't a channel tunnel in 1974, or was there a secret one
we didn't know about?

There was one in 1874! It wasn't complete - which doesn't stop the
government planning how to blow it up if it were ever completed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:59 AM
shazzbat

"Tim Challenger" wrote in message
news:1104838745.68a636cbd747e5fb5e2516c27b1790a8@t eranews...
On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 11:25:36 +0000, Lazarus Cooke wrote:

We have a term for it too Tidal Wave.

That's the trouble. It was misleading. A tsunami has nothing at all to
do with tides, and that's why they changed it.

At least it indicates that it's a wave, whereas the word "tsunami" tells
the uninitiated naff-all.

What happened to the term "episodic wave"? I haven't heard that one for a
while. I don't know if it's technically different to a tsunami or tidal wave
or both, but then I don't suppose it makes a lot of difference if you're
30ft under it all of a sudden.

Steve

Old 05-01-2005, 12:18 PM
shazzbat

SNIP

The idea of a nuclear explosion was considered but in the end it was

decided
that a couple of valves to let in sea water would be cheaper and less
damaging to much of Kent..... That was in the Telegraph an the Mail and I
think the Times. Take your pick.
--

Bob flowerdew would do it by siphoning the water from above with a length of
old garden hose into the tunnel entrance. That would be my preferred method

Steve

Old 05-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Kay

In article 1104917378.33e402cc30bfd22cb86573c2e70ae991@teran ews, Tim
Challenger writes
On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 18:08:45 -0000, BAC wrote:

The point is, a person who doesn't speak Japanese either knows what the term
tsunami means, or does not, so no confusion, whereas an English speaker who
does not know the accepted definition of 'tidal wave' might be tempted to
derive a definition intuitively, hence the possibility of confusion.

But they'd be pretty sure to guess it has something to do with a big wave,
and let's face, that's what counts. Plus there's more chance that an
English peaker would have heard it and actually know what it means.

That's an interesting point. Perhaps in these days of international
travel, it would be helpful if we all agreed on some internationally
understood words for certain key concepts, eg 'fire' 'help' 'ambulance'
(in the same way that most of Europe and I think some other countries
have agreed on 112 as the phone no for emergency services).

In which case, tsunami vs tidal wave comes down to which one is most
readily understood by the international community
--
Kay

Old 05-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Tim Challenger

Of course. ;-) I'm still on Siam anyway, where is this Thailand place?

I noticed that the BBC correspondent, who had just returned from
Miramwhere, referred to it as Burma.

Good!
--
Tim C.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:48 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
wrote:

what about Nyasaland and Tanganyika?

Still there, the last time I visited them. I haven't heard that
they have been stolen or demolished.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:02 PM
BAC

"Tim Challenger" wrote in message
news:1104917378.33e402cc30bfd22cb86573c2e70ae991@t eranews...
On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 18:08:45 -0000, BAC wrote:

The point is, a person who doesn't speak Japanese either knows what the

term
tsunami means, or does not, so no confusion, whereas an English speaker

who
does not know the accepted definition of 'tidal wave' might be tempted

derive a definition intuitively, hence the possibility of confusion.

But they'd be pretty sure to guess it has something to do with a big wave,
and let's face, that's what counts. Plus there's more chance that an
English peaker would have heard it and actually know what it means.

Maybe. Personally, I doubt there are many English speakers who have not
heard the term 'tsunami' and learned to associate it with images of
destruction caused by 'freak' waves crashing ashore in the Pacific area.

Perhaps we should say that 'tsunami' is the common term used for earthquake
induced waves in the pacific area, and 'tidal wave' would be the preferred
term if/when they occur in English speaking parts of the Atlantic area.
After all, cyclones can have different names like hurricane and typhoon
depending on where they are encountered, so why not waves?

Old 05-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Lazarus Cooke

In article 1104840072.98438ddeea2045e62f46ffa1c2f70c96@teran ews, Tim
Challenger wrote:

I'd have thought that as most English speakers speak English, they might be
more likely to know what the work tidalwave means that tsunami.

'Tsunami' now *is* the English word for it, just as 'gong' is the
English word for the thing you bang when dinner's ready (from Malay), a
'tycoon' is a big businessman (Japanese), and a tattoo is what your
daughter gets against your wishes (Tahitian), and which you may well
think is 'taboo' (Tongan).

Try asking people under the age of 15 what they'd call a tsunami, and
they'll use the new word, not the old. Languages change all the time,
and one of the nice things about English is that people are happy to
adapt. Remember, 'pork', 'beef' and 'mutton' were all foreign words
once. But not any more.

I still talk about 'motoring' up to London, listening to the
'wireless', and 'taking luncheon', but I only do it to amuse myself and
irritate my children.

Lazarus

--
Remover the rock from the email address

Fish found after tsunami rtk Ponds 3 16-01-2005 02:55 AM
Tsunami victim - Help please Sacha United Kingdom 7 07-01-2005 04:22 AM
[IBC] OT - Tsunami relief Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 06-01-2005 09:07 PM
[IBC] OT - Tsunami relief Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 06-01-2005 08:43 PM
Donations for relief efforts for Tsunami survivors Bluebee Sky North Carolina 0 28-12-2004 08:19 PM