Old 25-08-2006, 12:29 AM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

Default And some people say there's no God...

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:46:04 -0400, "Robibnikoff"
wrote:
- Refer:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
.. .
On 24 Aug 2006 09:35:17 -0700, "thomas p."
wrote:

Your behavior, moral or otherwise, is not what is being questioned.
Furthermore your right to believe in anything is not being questioned.
You have a right to believe in fairy tales if you want to, but you have
no right to be free from people pointing out the illogic; especially
when you present your beliefs in a public forum.

You are very disrespectful. Do what you want, but to call something I
believe in a fairytale is just obnoxious and of NO use to anyone. It
sounds like you are a fanatic who has to prove something. You haven't
shaken anything out of me. I know who I am.

Why are you getting your panties in a wad? Perhaps Usenet isn't for you.

She/he has demonstrated clearly that 'reality' is not for them, that
much is 100% sure.
Old 25-08-2006, 02:58 AM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:46:04 -0400, "Robibnikoff"
wrote:
- Refer:

.. .
wrote:

Your behavior, moral or otherwise, is not what is being questioned.
Furthermore your right to believe in anything is not being questioned.
You have a right to believe in fairy tales if you want to, but you have
no right to be free from people pointing out the illogic; especially
when you present your beliefs in a public forum.

You are very disrespectful. Do what you want, but to call something I
believe in a fairytale is just obnoxious and of NO use to anyone. It
sounds like you are a fanatic who has to prove something. You haven't
shaken anything out of me. I know who I am.

Would you feel better to have them called myths? Faith is opposed to
reason and if reasonable people view myths only as that, it's not
necessarily disrespectful that many of us can be enriched by a poetic
sacred fiction without having to give up our capacity for reason.

The disrespectful thing would be if someone otherwise fond of mythology &
fairy tales disliked scripture merely because it has its believers. Your
belief cannot spoil my love of myths. My unwillingness to supplant reason
with faith shouldn't make you feel disrespected for your belief in the
unreal, unless your faith is already shaky, in which case everything
scientific or rational will seem assaultive even if it's not.

Now if I were to note what a dumbass you are that might be regarded as
disrespectful. But I am perfectly capable of respecting people of faith if
they're not dumbasses, & they in turn rarely seem to have trouble
respecting me.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com.html
Old 25-08-2006, 01:43 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:11:04 -0500, "turk"
wrote:

The neo-Nazis have beliefs, too. I don't respect their beliefs either.

The neo-nazis? You're comparing Buddhist beliefs with their beliefs?

You're free to be an idiot if you like. There's generally no law against
that. But, unless you can make comprehensive, logical arguments for your
beliefs expect to have the flaws and poor logic of said beliefs pointed out
to you when you decide to post them for the world to see. And expect some
ridicule as well.

Ridicule all you wish, but you do lose credibility when you call me an
idiot.

If I post "invisible pink unicorns are real!" and offer no evidence worthy
of consideration, I better expect to be called a dumbass no matter how many
times I scream "I can believe what I want!". If not, newsgroup isn't doing
it's job.

turk

Energy is not created, nor can it be destroyed. That's a fact. We'll
never agree and it 's not my contention to fluster you, but you seem
rather uptight.
Old 25-08-2006, 01:46 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 08:56:06 +0930, Michael Gray
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 16:47:55 GMT, Jangchub wrote:
- Refer:
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:30:04 -0400, "Robibnikoff"
wrote:

I support your right to believe
that.

That's nice.

No, it's not nice at all. It's a right we all have in the United
States as written in the Constitution of Independance. We don't have
to agree, we do have to respect one another for a civilized world.

Tell that to your President and his untouchable theistic genocidal
murderers.
You really live in a fantasy world, don't you?

I happen to agree with you on Bush. He is the worst president in US
history. He's an embarrassment. He's a dictator. It's what happens
when you have a fanatic of any sort telling you how to think.

I'm not telling anyone how to think. I'm not trying to convince you
of anything.
Old 25-08-2006, 05:18 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

"paghat" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:46:04 -0400, "Robibnikoff"
wrote:
- Refer:

. ..
wrote:

Your behavior, moral or otherwise, is not what is being questioned.
Furthermore your right to believe in anything is not being questioned.
You have a right to believe in fairy tales if you want to, but you have
no right to be free from people pointing out the illogic; especially
when you present your beliefs in a public forum.

You are very disrespectful. Do what you want, but to call something I
believe in a fairytale is just obnoxious and of NO use to anyone. It
sounds like you are a fanatic who has to prove something. You haven't
shaken anything out of me. I know who I am.

Would you feel better to have them called myths? Faith is opposed to
reason and if reasonable people view myths only as that, it's not
necessarily disrespectful that many of us can be enriched by a poetic
sacred fiction without having to give up our capacity for reason.

Ahem, just for the record - I didn't write what you're replying to.
--
Robyn
Resident Witchypoo

Old 26-08-2006, 12:44 AM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

- Refer:

wrote:

I support your right to believe
that.

That's nice.

No, it's not nice at all. It's a right we all have in the United
States as written in the Constitution of Independance. We don't have
to agree, we do have to respect one another for a civilized world.

Tell that to your President and his untouchable theistic genocidal
murderers.
You really live in a fantasy world, don't you?

I happen to agree with you on Bush. He is the worst president in US
history. He's an embarrassment. He's a dictator. It's what happens
when you have a fanatic of any sort telling you how to think.

I'm not telling anyone how to think. I'm not trying to convince you
of anything.

Then why are you posting anything, especially to the rag-tag
collection of newsgroups as you have been?
I don't live in your wonderful United States, and am not bound by your
constitution, even in terms of my interactions with US citizens.
I would ignore it even if it did apply.
I rely upon my personal integrity as the source of my moral guidance.
Not laws made by christian business-men, nor incoherent 'holy' books,
nor moronic principles that have gained a patina of respectability
solely through being ancient.
Old 26-08-2006, 09:15 AM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

wrote:

Your behavior, moral or otherwise, is not what is being questioned.
Furthermore your right to believe in anything is not being questioned.
You have a right to believe in fairy tales if you want to, but you have
no right to be free from people pointing out the illogic; especially
when you present your beliefs in a public forum.

You are very disrespectful. Do what you want, but to call something I
believe in a fairytale is just obnoxious and of NO use to anyone. It
sounds like you are a fanatic who has to prove something. You haven't
shaken anything out of me. I know who I am.

I have agreed with you that you have a right to believe what you want,
and you call me a fanatic. You also ignore what was the main point of
my above quoted post. Here it is again: You have presented your
beliefs in a public forum. I have every right to comment on those
beliefs. I have not insulted you, in my opinion beliefs in the
supernatural or magical are (without objective evidence, which I have
never seen; and you have conceded does not exist) the same as beliefs
in fairy tales. Please remember that many of the events related in
fairy tales have also once been common beliefs. In any event your
beliefs are not above criticism, and criticizing them does not make me
a fanatic.

Old 26-08-2006, 09:20 AM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

wrote:

Your behavior, moral or otherwise, is not what is being questioned.
Furthermore your right to believe in anything is not being questioned.
You have a right to believe in fairy tales if you want to, but you have
no right to be free from people pointing out the illogic; especially
when you present your beliefs in a public forum.

You are very disrespectful. Do what you want, but to call something I
believe in a fairytale is just obnoxious and of NO use to anyone. It
sounds like you are a fanatic who has to prove something. You haven't
shaken anything out of me. I know who I am.

Why are you getting your panties in a wad? Perhaps Usenet isn't for you.

Not to mention the fact that I did not insult him, and I was answering
a post in which he distorted what I had written. So many start out
with a pose of being reasonable and tolerant, but they fall apart so
quickly.

Old 26-08-2006, 09:27 AM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

wrote:

The neo-Nazis have beliefs, too. I don't respect their beliefs either.

The neo-nazis? You're comparing Buddhist beliefs with their beliefs?

You're free to be an idiot if you like. There's generally no law against
that. But, unless you can make comprehensive, logical arguments for your
beliefs expect to have the flaws and poor logic of said beliefs pointed out
to you when you decide to post them for the world to see. And expect some
ridicule as well.

Ridicule all you wish, but you do lose credibility when you call me an
idiot.

And expect your ideas to be criticized if you post them in a public
forum. Remember you have criticized others. What reaction did you
expect? Are we only allowed to agree or to say: "How interesting!"?

If I post "invisible pink unicorns are real!" and offer no evidence worthy
of consideration, I better expect to be called a dumbass no matter how many
times I scream "I can believe what I want!". If not, newsgroup isn't doing
it's job.

turk

Energy is not created, nor can it be destroyed. That's a fact. We'll
never agree and it 's not my contention to fluster you, but you seem
rather uptight.

You are the one who has become upset.

Old 26-08-2006, 09:32 AM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

wrote:

I support your right to believe
that.

That's nice.

No, it's not nice at all. It's a right we all have in the United
States as written in the Constitution of Independance. We don't have
to agree, we do have to respect one another for a civilized world.

Tell that to your President and his untouchable theistic genocidal
murderers.
You really live in a fantasy world, don't you?

I happen to agree with you on Bush. He is the worst president in US
history. He's an embarrassment. He's a dictator. It's what happens
when you have a fanatic of any sort telling you how to think.

I'm not telling anyone how to think. I'm not trying to convince you
of anything.

And I have not told you how to think. I have pointed out that your
beliefs have no objective support; they are, in effect, based on
nothing. As such there is no objective difference between them and any
other irrational belief. If you believe in them anyway, that is your
right. I respect your right; but you have no right to have your
beliefs free of criticism.

Old 26-08-2006, 02:32 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 18:58:31 -0700,
(paghat) wrote:

Would you feel better to have them called myths? Faith is opposed to
reason and if reasonable people view myths only as that, it's not
necessarily disrespectful that many of us can be enriched by a poetic
sacred fiction without having to give up our capacity for reason.

I wouldn't feel better because I don't feel bad to begin with. Sure,
if you call Buddhism a myth, I have no argument. Buddhism is unique
because it accepts all other philosophies and doesn't make a
distinction of a creator. We've had this discussion before. Buddhism
is a theory of philosophy.

The disrespectful thing would be if someone otherwise fond of mythology &
fairy tales disliked scripture merely because it has its believers. Your
belief cannot spoil my love of myths. My unwillingness to supplant reason
with faith shouldn't make you feel disrespected for your belief in the
unreal, unless your faith is already shaky, in which case everything
scientific or rational will seem assaultive even if it's not.

I was called an idiot and moron because of my Buddhist beliefs of
reincarnation. Does this fit your category of someone being
disrespectful? You didn't say anything disrespectful, so I'm not sure
why you're defending yourself. My faith in Buddhism is stronger than
ever and at this point cannot be shaken.

What's your position on String Theory?

Now if I were to note what a dumbass you are that might be regarded as
disrespectful. But I am perfectly capable of respecting people of faith if
they're not dumbasses, & they in turn rarely seem to have trouble
respecting me.

-paghat the ratgirl

Nice way to call me a dumbass by saying IF you were to do so might be
regarded as disrespectful. Oh well. We've never seen things through
the same eyes.
Old 26-08-2006, 02:38 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

On 26 Aug 2006 01:27:07 -0700, "thomas p."
wrote:

Energy is not created, nor can it be destroyed. That's a fact. We'll
never agree and it 's not my contention to fluster you, but you seem
rather uptight.

You are the one who has become upset.

You didn't respond to my main point which is that, energy cannot be
created nor destroyed. The Dalai Lama, when asked what he thinks of
the Big Bang Theory, he replied, "Big Bang, no problem, just not the
first one."
Old 26-08-2006, 02:39 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

On 26 Aug 2006 01:32:21 -0700, "thomas p."
wrote:
And I have not told you how to think. I have pointed out that your
beliefs have no objective support; they are, in effect, based on
nothing. As such there is no objective difference between them and any
other irrational belief. If you believe in them anyway, that is your
right. I respect your right; but you have no right to have your
beliefs free of criticism.

What do you know about Buddhism?
Old 27-08-2006, 02:06 AM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

On 26 Aug 2006 01:27:07 -0700, "thomas p."
wrote:
- Refer: .com

wrote:

The neo-Nazis have beliefs, too. I don't respect their beliefs either.

The neo-nazis? You're comparing Buddhist beliefs with their beliefs?

You're free to be an idiot if you like. There's generally no law against
that. But, unless you can make comprehensive, logical arguments for your
beliefs expect to have the flaws and poor logic of said beliefs pointed out
to you when you decide to post them for the world to see. And expect some
ridicule as well.

Ridicule all you wish, but you do lose credibility when you call me an
idiot.

And expect your ideas to be criticized if you post them in a public
forum. Remember you have criticized others. What reaction did you
expect? Are we only allowed to agree or to say: "How interesting!"?

Weren't you aware that all theists are automatically granted full
diplomatic immunity in debate?
They can rip into others, but as soon as a hint of reality is
forwarded their way, they cry 'foul'!

Especially when it is a statement of pure fact, such as the proven
fact that Jangchub IS an idiot.

Old 27-08-2006, 02:08 AM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

On 26 Aug 2006 01:20:39 -0700, "thomas p."
wrote:
- Refer: . com

wrote:

[...]

The 8 fold path to getting in a tizz?