Old 28-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Kay

In article , Harold Walker
writes

OK, I apologise.
In that case, I just think you are wrong ;-)

p.s. Did your Bayberry seeds ever germinate......I now have at least fifty
growing well...H

The answer to that is 'no' .... but I can't recall them at all now - I'm
wondering whether they arrived? - did I ever thank you for them?

--
Kay

Old 28-07-2005, 12:27 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay writes:
| In article , Sue Begg
| writes
| Is it worth mentioning the fact that the US is so vast that they don't need to
| go abroad. They can get to visit almost any type of climate they wish
|
| I must admit that when I have travelled, it has been to experience a
| different culture and way of life rather than to seek a different
| climate.

Whereas I find the 'natural world' more interesting that the
activities of Homo sapiens.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-07-2005, 12:44 PM
Harold Walker

I hope they won't. Back in the good old days in 1950's industrial
Lancashire winters were blighted with thick filthy smog.

But, looking on the bright side, there was very little black spot on the
roses in urban gardens in those days :-)

into each life some rain must fall....but also some sunshine as well

Old 28-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Harold Walker

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Harold Walker
writes

OK, I apologise.
In that case, I just think you are wrong ;-)

p.s. Did your Bayberry seeds ever germinate......I now have at least fifty
growing well...H

The answer to that is 'no' .... but I can't recall them at all now - I'm
wondering whether they arrived? - did I ever thank you for them?

--
Kay

Yes, you did.....and yes you sowed them....they were the ones I said to
remove the outer waxy material and put in the fridge after sowing prior to
warmth.....

Old 28-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Harold Walker

Just for the hec of it did a bit of a research into the poverty level over
their...phasebase reports it as being 17 percent or roughly 10
million......certainly not the 20's or 30's as you infer...

yes, we do have poverty - but it is poverty relative to the general
standard of living, and that standard of living has increased immensely
over the last 50 years.
--
Kay

No doubt the same as here....the poverty level here is such that millions
upon millions elsewhere would think they lived in palacial conditions if
they were blessed with the same "poverty level"...even the poor here throw
away leftovers that would be considered a gourmet meal by many

Old 28-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Harold Walker

"BAC" wrote in message

"Harold Walker" wrote in message

Do you think that experience in your formative years might go some way to
explaining your apparent preoccupation with the British 'class system'?

No doubt about it

Old 28-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Harold Walker

"Mike" wrote in message

....I was but a
scholarship kid at a public school and being of a "working class
family"
money did not exactly grow on a tree

Do you think that experience in your formative years might go some way to
explaining your apparent preoccupation with the British 'class system'?

Not a preoccupation, just a very aware fact that there 'is' a class system
in this country and it is alive and well.

Mike

should have read yours first Mike before Bac's.....and it is alive and well
even today....I met it a short while ago but having the appropriate accent
of that "class" I found it very easy to manouvre around its
stupidity.....met a number of idiots that believed I belonged to 'their
class'......periodically I love having fun putting on the 'dog' over their
to see their reactions....leopards do not lose their spots nor I my heritage

Old 28-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Harold Walker

" | I must admit that when I have travelled, it has been to experience a
| different culture and way of life rather than to seek a different
| climate.

Whereas I find the 'natural world' more interesting that the
activities of Homo sapiens.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I am with you all the way on this Nick....even without travelling I can
totally enjoy........sitting in the conservatory watching the 'birds and the
bees'....to see the fox sneaking around seeking a squirrel or so.....or
early in the morning a coyote also seeking an early morning breakfast...then
the hoards of birds gobbling up the seeds...and especially those beautiful
hummingbirds..a true pleasure indeed......H

Old 28-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Kay

In article , Harold Walker
writes

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Harold Walker
writes

OK, I apologise.
In that case, I just think you are wrong ;-)

p.s. Did your Bayberry seeds ever germinate......I now have at least fifty
growing well...H

The answer to that is 'no' .... but I can't recall them at all now - I'm
wondering whether they arrived? - did I ever thank you for them?

Yes, you did.....and yes you sowed them....they were the ones I said to
remove the outer waxy material and put in the fridge after sowing prior to
warmth.....

In that case I would have done all that .... Sorry ... I'm not bad at
seeds but I'm not brilliant either.

--
Kay

Old 28-07-2005, 01:22 PM
Harold Walker

"
Yes, you did.....and yes you sowed them....they were the ones I said to
remove the outer waxy material and put in the fridge after sowing prior to
warmth.....

In that case I would have done all that .... Sorry ... I'm not bad at
seeds but I'm not brilliant either.

Kay

We can't win them all Kay...if you would like to try again I will gladly
send more over later in the year when ready....H

Old 28-07-2005, 02:01 PM
Sue Begg

In message , Kay
writes
In article , Sue Begg
writes
Is it worth mentioning the fact that the US is so vast that they don't
need to
go abroad. They can get to visit almost any type of climate they wish

I must admit that when I have travelled, it has been to experience a
different culture and way of life rather than to seek a different
climate.

I'm with you there. I have never been able to understand people who
spend large amounts of money to sunbathe, get drunk and eat a big Mac or
fish and chips.

But each to their own it is their money they are spending. From the
popularity of such holidays it would seem a large percentage of the
population desire them. As long as they don't make it compulsory :-)

In Peru last year I even tried roast guinea pig - it's actually rather
nice
--
Sue
Remove the puppies to reply
Old 28-07-2005, 02:17 PM
BAC

"Mike" wrote in message

....I was but a
scholarship kid at a public school and being of a "working class

family"
money did not exactly grow on a tree

Do you think that experience in your formative years might go some way

explaining your apparent preoccupation with the British 'class system'?

Not a preoccupation, just a very aware fact that there 'is' a class system
in this country and it is alive and well.

Sorry, I thought the ex-pat had posted the bit about his education, not you,
my mistake.

Old 28-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

the majority of the UK residents (English + permanent interlopers)
see very
little of the UK in a year...they just do not have the money....perhaps
someone like you might have the 'lolly' to roam around but there are many
that do not live in such luxury and scrape from hand to mouth each
week....no different in this country......over a lifetime I suspect
I might
have seen more of England than you have me love....a roaming on foot thru
the lake districts on one trip of a month...riding a bicycle from the
Portsmouth area to Plymouth and then via a winding route to York on
another
one of my trips over yonder.....that is just for a start..
over a lifetime I suspect I might
have seen more of England than you have me love....

Since you know absolutely nothing about my lifetime, that's just
another example of you not having a clue what you're on about.

Janet.

..........Me thinks otherwise.....I may have left England a number of years
ago but have remained a reader of your newspapers over the years and now
that Drudge Report so conveniently allows me to read the London Times, the
Telegraph and the Guardian each morning I do think I have a clue as to what
is going on in England...

But not what I am doing. Since my activities and travels are not
national news, you won't have gleaned any press information to support
your claim that you have travelled more widely in England or seen more
of it than I have.

I have restored your post, to remind you what your hot air boast was about.

Janet
Old 28-07-2005, 03:18 PM
Sue Begg

In message , martin
writes
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 14:01:22 +0100, Sue Begg
wrote:

I'm with you there. I have never been able to understand people who
spend large amounts of money to sunbathe, get drunk and eat a big Mac or
fish and chips.

But each to their own it is their money they are spending. From the
popularity of such holidays it would seem a large percentage of the
population desire them. As long as they don't make it compulsory :-)

In Peru last year I even tried roast guinea pig - it's actually rather
nice

I've never understood people who spend large amounts of money going
all the way to Peru, when you can roast guinea pig in your back garden
in the cold & pouring rain in a biting northerly gale at home for far
less. :-)

Rusty will be along with a recipe in a minute.

LOL But it would take a fair amount of landscaping to provide the
'little hills'
--
Sue
Remove the puppies to reply