Old 19-08-2012, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gardenbirdfeeder.co.uk never again

I ordered a couple of bird feeders from this site on the 4th, despite a
delivery day promise on their web site of 5 to 10 days there is no sign
of them. What makes it worse they seem impossible to contact. I have
tried emailing on different addresses, getting no reply, their contact
page on the web site does not work. The only correspondence I have
received was from WorldPay acknowledging the receipt of the money with
Gardenbirdfeeder reference number, so I may even have ordered the wrong
items, though I think not. I regularly buy on the internet and have
never had this sort of half baked service before.
If anyone had anything good to hear about them I would love to know, it
would set my mind at rest.

Old 19-08-2012, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 14:05:39 +0100, Moonraker wrote:

What makes it worse they seem impossible to contact. I have tried
emailing on different addresses, getting no reply, their contact
page on the web site does not work.

Looking at the site I get the impression it is home business, so they
might be on holiday. Bad form not to have something automagic when and
order is placed to inform customers though. You don't want it public as
it advertises an empty house....

The domain is registered to the same name as is mentioned on the site but
the address isn't listed:

Registrant's address:
The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have
their address omitted from the WHOIS service.

Which blatently isn't true... The contact page is just a none completed
template but there is an address at the bottom of each page. That looks
residential on google maps satelite view.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 19-08-2012, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote
[lots of good advice and...]

There are a number of options which are available to you:

1) Contact your local trading standards office.

2) Contact Nominet (domain registry) pointing out that all the
evidence points to Simon Bolton being a trading individual and
withholding the registrant address therefore appears to be in
contravention of Nominet rules.

3) You might want to try emailing which is the
hosting company for the domain (and presumably for the site given
there's a match of IP addresses). Snail mail for the hosting company
is Unit 1, Northampton Science Park, Moulton Park Industrial Estate,
Northampton NN3 6LG. A hosting company is likely to be unhappy if one
of its clients is using its servers for potentially fraudulent
activity as it may be vicariously liable.

4) The small claims procedure would also be available. You should
write a letter addressed to Simon Bolton at the address on the site
(send by a signed for service) detailing your order, date, dates of
emails, telephone calls etc to which he has not responded, and
demanding a full refund of your money within 21 days. Mention that if
he does not refund within that time you will pursue the matter through
the court system without further reference to him.

What order you follow is up to you but I'd suggest that you contact TS
in the first instance.

I found a phone number which I put on the previous thread listed on one
site. Was that tried?
http://www.gmdu.net/map-350752.html

Agree with the snailmail letter and then, if it looks necessary, the TS
route. Maybe Bolton TS know about this guy already.

However, it was only 10 Aug that Moonraker told us he'd placed the order
so it isn't all that long ago and the goods could still arrive. Anything
could have happened to a one man band business (if it is legit).
I agree the lack of communication is enough to make anyone highly
suspicious, though.

--
Sue

Old 19-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Liquorice[_2_] View Post
[...]

I've just brought two squirrel proof feeders from a power seller on E-Bay, ordered Monday morning arrived Tuesday's post and they were half the price as well also free postage.
Old 19-08-2012, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/08/2012 14:05, Moonraker wrote:
I ordered a couple of bird feeders from this site on the 4th, despite a
delivery day promise on their web site of 5 to 10 days there is no sign
of them. What makes it worse they seem impossible to contact. I have
tried emailing on different addresses, getting no reply, their contact
page on the web site does not work. The only correspondence I have
received was from WorldPay acknowledging the receipt of the money with
Gardenbirdfeeder reference number, so I may even have ordered the wrong
items, though I think not. I regularly buy on the internet and have
never had this sort of half baked service before.
If anyone had anything good to hear about them I would love to know, it
would set my mind at rest.

So you ordered on the 4th Aug (a Saturday, the site said 5 to do days
for delivery, that's normally working days, so the 10 days were up
yesterday.
I think you are being a little harsh, I'd give it at least another week
before getting worried.
I've had one carrier who won't leave a card, won't phone, though my
phone number can clearly be seen from the road, and won't leave with a
neighbour. They try to deliver a couple of times then send the item back.
Also as a one man band, he may be in hospital.
Lastly, he may not reply to emails if his computer is down.
Before you rubbish someone as you are doing then at least give him
(assuming it is a man) a chance.Problems do crop up, and not everyone
has an organisation like Amazon behind them, and I've had things take 3
weeks and more from them.
David @ the rain free end of Swansea Bay.

Old 19-08-2012, 09:56 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

[...]

If you want to google, address is given as
Gardenbirdfeeder, 6 Chelwood Mews, Bolton, Lancashire. BL64BF

That's the same address as an organisation called catbib.uk

Neither have any obvious customer dissatisfaction - usually once a company has been around, if it's providing really bad service, you can find reams of complaints on the internet (bit of a mixed metaphor, sorry, using a measure of quantity of paper!)
__________________
Old 20-08-2012, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/08/2012 19:38, David Hill wrote:
[...]

I take on board al the comments, and hope the positive of you are
correct. However I think it unlikely that someone who runs an internet
business would have their computer down for any length of time.

Old 20-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
[...]

In fact mail order companies are, by law, allowed up to 28 days to deliver goods.
Old 20-08-2012, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 09:42:31 +0100, Moonraker wrote:

I take on board al the comments, and hope the positive of you are
correct.

I saw nothing that rang scam alarm bells. A home run business by some one
who is not totally clued up about company law and what needs to be on a
website etc. certainly. It may only be a second or third income stream.

However I think it unlikely that someone who runs an internet
business would have their computer down for any length of time.

No but their residential phone line and/or residential ADSL from a mass
market ISP could well be. As there is an apparent level of "lack of
clue", having business grade services and/or back up connection(s)
probably hasn't occurred to them. They may not have the technical
knowledge to provision this, at minimal cost, for themselves.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 20-08-2012, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 09:42:31 +0100, Moonraker wrote:

I take on board al the comments, and hope the positive of you are
correct.

I saw nothing that rang scam alarm bells. A home run business by some one
who is not totally clued up about company law and what needs to be on a
website etc. certainly. It may only be a second or third income stream.

However I think it unlikely that someone who runs an internet
business would have their computer down for any length of time.

No but their residential phone line and/or residential ADSL from a mass
market ISP could well be. As there is an apparent level of "lack of
clue", having business grade services and/or back up connection(s)
probably hasn't occurred to them. They may not have the technical
knowledge to provision this, at minimal cost, for themselves.

No amount of back up connections could have prevented me being without
internet for a week when an over wide load on a lorry took out the pole
carrying the overhead lines to three properties including mine :-(

Mike

Old 20-08-2012, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/08/2012 14:45, Muddymike wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 09:42:31 +0100, Moonraker wrote:

I take on board al the comments, and hope the positive of you are
correct.

I saw nothing that rang scam alarm bells. A home run business by some one
who is not totally clued up about company law and what needs to be on a
website etc. certainly. It may only be a second or third income stream.

However I think it unlikely that someone who runs an internet
business would have their computer down for any length of time.

No but their residential phone line and/or residential ADSL from a mass
market ISP could well be. As there is an apparent level of "lack of
clue", having business grade services and/or back up connection(s)
probably hasn't occurred to them. They may not have the technical
knowledge to provision this, at minimal cost, for themselves.

I have had one like this where the unfortunate vendor had been taken
into hospital with a heart attack and no one else knew his password to
deal with enquiries! Some companies are tiny and may be effectively shut
down and on holiday particularly at this time of year.

No amount of back up connections could have prevented me being without
internet for a week when an over wide load on a lorry took out the pole
carrying the overhead lines to three properties including mine :-(

3G wireless dongle would do (but choose wisely if in a rural area).

Our phone and ADSL tends to go down due to either a fallen tree in a
winter storm, water in the junction box or hedge flailer destroying the
whole cabinet. The latter was particularly amusing as it triggered
hostile emergency responses to all the Redcare circuits as well!

BT were left with 6" shorter mangled cables and a lot of very tedious
line chasing to sort it out. Took them the best part of a fortnight.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 20-08-2012, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 14:53:03 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

No amount of back up connections could have prevented me being without
internet for a week when an over wide load on a lorry took out the
pole carrying the overhead lines to three properties including mine
:-(

3G wireless dongle would do (but choose wisely if in a rural area).

GPRS is fast enough for email. Mind you it may not be a simple operation
to get that data connection linked to anything else.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 20-08-2012, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/08/2012 15:40, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 14:53:03 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

No amount of back up connections could have prevented me being without
internet for a week when an over wide load on a lorry took out the
pole carrying the overhead lines to three properties including mine
:-(

3G wireless dongle would do (but choose wisely if in a rural area).

GPRS is fast enough for email. Mind you it may not be a simple operation
to get that data connection linked to anything else.

If like me you are rural and use a desktop computer then you are
dependant on your phone line, and can't go off in search of wi fi or
other things.
Old 21-08-2012, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/08/2012 18:03, David Hill wrote:
On 20/08/2012 15:40, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 14:53:03 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

No amount of back up connections could have prevented me being without
internet for a week when an over wide load on a lorry took out the
pole carrying the overhead lines to three properties including mine
:-(

3G wireless dongle would do (but choose wisely if in a rural area).

GPRS is fast enough for email. Mind you it may not be a simple operation
to get that data connection linked to anything else.

If like me you are rural and use a desktop computer then you are
dependant on your phone line, and can't go off in search of wi fi or
other things.

The more I try to contact this company the more I believe that they are
not to be trusted. They do not answer emails on any of the three
addresses on their web page. Phoning the number given gets the message
"Unavailable" and the number that Sue gave is invalid.

Old 21-08-2012, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/08/2012 18:03, David Hill wrote:
On 20/08/2012 15:40, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 14:53:03 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

No amount of back up connections could have prevented me being without
internet for a week when an over wide load on a lorry took out the
pole carrying the overhead lines to three properties including mine
:-(

3G wireless dongle would do (but choose wisely if in a rural area).

GPRS is fast enough for email. Mind you it may not be a simple operation
to get that data connection linked to anything else.

If like me you are rural and use a desktop computer then you are
dependant on your phone line, and can't go off in search of wi fi or
other things.

I am rural and a deep scan of the village shows that there are more Wifi
networks here than there are houses! Every BT ADSL home network has a
parasitic BTfon or Openzone tacked on to it by default.

You can get USB dongle that will work with anything. Pay per day or per
month and/or by various volumes of data.

It is worth figuring out how to use your mobile phone as a minimal
internet connection so that you can't be taken out completely by a phone
outage. It is coming up the hedge trimming time again and flails can
inflict a lot of damage if they forget and strim the cabinet.

Regards,
Martin Brown