Old 28-09-2005, 03:20 PM
Marty Haber

Michel and everyone else watching this thread - Please don't fuss so much.
One of the best bonsai growers I know uses only builder's sand and peat.
His trees are very healthy. Another well known grower uses garden soil! He
manages the largest bonsai nursery in Germany.
What do I use? A blend of inorganic
pebbles, baked clay, decomposed granite and pelletized fertilizer. This
combo requires frequent watering because the water flows right through it.
I NEVER get root rot.
Old 28-09-2005, 03:35 PM
Michael Persiano

Marty makes a good point. If it works, do not fix it.

Yet, I would underscore the importance of understanding your growing environment and species in the context of your soil selections, i.e.,

1. Seasonal behavior (dry, rainy, sunny, overcast, etc.)
2. Watering habits and method (can, drip system, can waterer, hosed, etc.)
3. Species of trees (water loving, prefers drier soil, etc.)
4. Position (full sun, indirect sunlight, shade)

With respect to the use of garden soil, I do not know what that means. );-) Is it sandy, clay, loam, bark rich, inorganic component rich, etc.? My "garden soil" is clay.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michel Bourgeois"

Old 28-09-2005, 03:38 PM
Jim Lewis

Michel Bourgeois wrote:
Oups!

I have looked this morning in Bonsai Today no. 88 about river sans and I
understand than this is not river sand than I have but regular sand. So, it
is heavier. Is there a chance it will crush, because of the wait?

I hate being Canadian!!! I can't find any real river sand, pumice or haydite
in this big hole!!! (Sorry, I just took 2 coffees this morning... I think I
need 2 extras! Lol)

Example?: I will pay my cottonseed 18us$ and it will cost me 40us$
shipping!!!

Michel

It is not necessary to use cottonseed meal. Soy, corn, or
ANY other vegetable meal will work as well.

HOWEVER, I still fail to understand why you want to go to
all that trouble. If you want to do mostly organic, buy an
already made organic fertilizer. Supplement it occasionally
with a commercial houseplant fertilizer.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Old 28-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Jim Lewis

Steven Peterson wrote:
Hi All,

I recently purchased an azalea, a japanese holly, and a chinese elm from nurseries. They are still in their nursery pots. I'm assuming that I shouldn't repot until spring, but what should I do with them until then? Should I plant them in my garden? If so, would it help to make a plastic tent to protect them for the coldest nights? I think I want the holly and azalea to thicken a bit, so planting may be best, but I may the elm I may want to pot in the spring. Will it survive in a shed over the winter?

Thanks,
Steve
Philadelphia, Pa

If azalea grow in peoples' yards in Philly, by all means put
them in the ground. You have no worries with the holly and
the elm; they're hardy.

Old 28-09-2005, 03:43 PM
Michael Persiano

Steve:

I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia. Our low is typically -2 degrees Fahrenheit, but this is not a sustained low.

Can you provide genus and species (Latin) for these trees to ensure the correct advice is offered? Some azaleas and elms are extremely hardy--many are not.

Also, what is your typical low where you live?

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

Old 28-09-2005, 03:48 PM
Michael Persiano

Jim:

Two years ago I almost lost a 50-year old Ulmus davidiana to an 8+ week freeze. I too thought they were hardy. );-) All trees have a limit, and we all need to understand the impact of our regional weather and wintering methods on our trees.

I lost every needle on a Pinus thunbergiana "Mikawa" during the same freeze. Go figure...

Method Used: cold shed
Alternative Method: White co-poly covered bench; cold garage.

The difference is that co-poly warms the mulch bed by day and slowly cools at night. The shed remains quite cold.

Cordially,

Michael

I recently purchased an azalea, a japanese holly, and a chinese elm from nurseries. They are still in their nursery pots. I'm assuming that I shouldn't repot until spring, but what should I do with them until then? Should I plant them in my garden? If so, would it help to make a plastic tent to protect them for the coldest nights? I think I want the holly and azalea to thicken a bit, so planting may be best, but I may the elm I may want to pot in the spring. Will it survive in a shed over the winter?
Thanks,

Steve
Philadelphia, Pa

If azalea grow in peoples' yards in Philly, by all means put them in the ground. You have no worries with the holly and the elm; they're hardy.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Nature encourages no looseness, pardons no errors. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 28-09-2005, 04:22 PM
Michel Bourgeois

Jim,

Jim:

I want to go to all this trouble because I want to feel that and this is the
only way to make it than I know.

http://internetbonsaiclub.org/compon...133/topic,5966

He said: " A year ago, at the direction of my teacher Boon Manakitivipart, I
started using an entirely inorganic soil mix. This past weekend, I repotted
the first of the trees that had gone into that mix.

Taking the first of these trees out of its pot and seeing the fantastic
results was certainly one of my most exciting moments in bonsai thus far.

Boon's mix is as follows:

1/3 sifted "soft" akadama
1/3 sifted red lava
1/3 sifted white agricultural pumice

I add a handful of sifted agricultural charcoal as well.

Obviously, this is a fast-draining mix and so if you are not accustomed to
such a mix, you need to adjust your watering accordingly. Also, with this
completely inorganic mix, you need to fertilize more than you would with an
inorganic mix. I put organic fertilizer cakes on the surface, and then
supplement with an organic liquid fertilizer (5-1-1 fish emulsion, roughly
weekly.)

I am really thrilled by the results I've gotten with this soil and
fertilizing regimen. Removing my trees from their pots for repotting last
weekend, and seeing the progress that these trees have made over the past
year, was a delight. I am very grateful to Boon for steering me in this
direction."

I went through the worst 16 years bonsai experiments you ever saw! After
this... I don't have any tree than I am proud of. The only potential one, in
2000, I traveled 9 hours driving (another 9 hours to come back) and went to
a master class with Collin Lewis in Boston (I live 3 hours north of
Montreal). But, after I dig off the tree from the pot, I had a bad surprise
to find an ugly root:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34...eamNow_Web.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34...amGoal_Web.jpg

It is nice yes... but it don't deserve the 1500$ it cost me!

So, now. I decided to change my approach. I make now what I call
"urbanYamadori" :-) I look on neighbourhood's landscape around where I live.
When I see nice trees, I knock at their doors and offer owners to replace
their “bad looking” trees for a “nice” nursery maple or fruit trees.

For now I found these:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34...CN4967-web.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34...CN4962-web.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34...CN4975-web.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34...k_DSCN5123.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34...o/DSCN5103.jpg

Later this day I will dig of a 55 y/o thuya 8 inches trunk, 3 feet tall.
This week end it will be a mugo pine, 12 inches trunk 4 feet tall, about 25
y/o.

This is why I want to grow them fast! If in 4 years I don't have bonsai I am
realy proud of it... I will change my bonsai passion for sewing or knitting!
:-)

Thank you for your help,

Michel

Old 28-09-2005, 04:59 PM
Michael Persiano

Michel:

Akadama is a superb medium for growing bonsai trees. The other components are all fine. From an aesthetic perspective, I simply do not like to see "white" or "red" in soil mixes--my quirks.

This is an interesting email, and I would encourage many of you to share your trees via similar links to webpages.

Although unsolicitied, the Hornbeam will require carving to create a desirable taper in your future design for the tree. The other large specimens are interesting, and some will benefit from major chopping and eventually carving after they take root.

Your passion for the art is inspiring. );-)

Cordially,

Michael Persiano

Old 28-09-2005, 05:30 PM
Henrik Gistvall

Michel

Sand is sand don´t worry. Natsu kobayashi the visiting master at the
Swedish Bonsai Society´s meeting warned us about using to much sand
(grit). Water will stick at the pebbles due to the tension and hence
filling up the air pockes between the particles. He´s suggestion was to
use more substrates like pumice and akadama with pores that take up the
water and less grit, no more than 30% and in his case only 10-20%. He
also rekommeded adding charcoal to the mix. It will help the akadama not
to trn in to much so fast. And if you have lot´s of calcium in the soil
yoiu can use a lot. He lives in england now and use up to 30% charcoal.
If you don´t hva lots of calcium in the water 10% is enough.

As always with soil mixes everyones got the best idea ;-).

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

Old 28-09-2005, 06:56 PM
Michel Bourgeois

Thank you Michael.

Now I have another problem… I want to use 7mm akadama for growing and
Turface is only 3mm! Does it exist bigger turface?

I won’t use sand… I am afraid of the weight, as you know akadama is fragile
and even more when it’s wet and I think the peebles will crush the akadama.

So… I have only one solution for my this year yamadori… pure akadama!

Thank you for all your help

Michel

_____

[...]

mailto:jklewis%40nettally.com -
Tallahassee, FL - Nature

****

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++

****

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
mailto:BONSAI-REQUEST%40HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM +++++

****

Old 28-09-2005, 09:12 PM
Henrik Gistvall

Michel Bourgeois wrote:

Thank you Michael.

Now I have another problem… I want to use 7mm akadama for growing and
Turface is only 3mm! Does it exist bigger turface?

I won’t use sand… I am afraid of the weight, as you know akadama is fragile
and even more when it’s wet and I think the peebles will crush the akadama.

I don´t belive so. You can mix grit and akadama. I think pure akadama is
worse than mixed with grit. Grit can keep the soil structure for longer,
this at least my experience here in Sweden which I think is not far from
the climate in Canada. Remeber your yamadori trees will stay for a long
time in that box or pot. You need a substrate that will stay in shape
for several years. Pure akadama would not be my no 1 choise for this if
you experience tawing and freezing during the winter.

I don´t see a problem mixing 7 mm and 3 mm particles. I think equal
parts of akadama, grit and turface would be your best option, both from
an economical and horticultural point of view.

Old 24-10-2005, 11:36 AM
Steve Peterson

Default [IBC] Non organic Yamadori soil

Hi Michael,

This is an old one. You said:

Two years ago I almost lost a 50-year old Ulmus davidiana to an 8+
week freeze. I too thought they were hardy. );-) All trees have a
limit, and we all need to understand the impact of our regional
weather and wintering methods on our trees.

I lost every needle on a Pinus thunbergiana "Mikawa" during the same
freeze. Go figure...

Method Used: cold shed
Alternative Method: White co-poly covered bench; cold garage.

The difference is that co-poly warms the mulch bed by day and slowly
cools at night. The shed remains quite cold.

I couldn't tell whether you were recommending the the co-poly covered
bench or the shed. As you said the co-poly would warm the mulch during
the day but the shed or garage would provide some insulation from the
cold ground.

Thanks,
Steve

++++Sponsored, in part, by John Romano++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-10-2005, 03:49 AM
Roger Snipes

Steve,

I'm sure Michael will respond as to which he was recommending.

I would like to comment on your question, though:

As you said the co-poly would warm the mulch during the day but the shed
or garage would provide some insulation from the cold ground.

It isn't the cold ground that your trees need protection from, it is the
cold air. The ground stays at a relatively even temperature, which is quite
a bit warmer than the air temperature, especially as one goes below the
surface a bit. Putting your trees on the ground and mulching around them
helps to connect them with the ground and keep their rootballs at ground
temperature. Roots are designed to live at ground temperature, not at the
much colder and widely fluctuating air temperature.

Regards,
Roger Snipes
Spokane, WA. Zone 5-ish

Old 25-10-2005, 02:54 PM
Michael Persiano

Steve:

Roger makes a very good point: if you can leverage the ground temperature by wintering your trees under a bench, it is an excellent solution.

The idea of wintering via a cold shed was broached by Yoshimura in his landmark book, The Art of Growing and Caring for Miniature Trees. I winter my Japanese White Pines in the shed because extreme cold is not a problem, and I have grown weary of crawling under benches to check trees. );-)

To mitigate the effects of the cold air rushing beneath the shed and chilling the floor boards, I do the following;

1. Lay out sheets of foam board onto the floor boards in the shed. They are easily and inexpensively acquired from Home Depot.
2. Dump bags of dry cedar mulch onto the foam. This is usually 5 inches deep.
3. The bonsai are placed on the mulch.
4. The trees are drenched.
5. The root pads are covered with heavy black landscape fabric.
6. A chopstick is inserted through the fabric and into the root pad.
7. The pots are covered with cedar mulch--approximately 6-8 inches.

The shed is opened when the temperatures move into the mid 30s F. Once the temperatures drop and we enter a sustained winter freeze, nothing is done to the Japanese White Pines until the spring.

I also use this method for storing my Junipers. I do not recommend this approach for potted Buxus, Acer, Prunus, Ulmus, etc.

Cordially,

Michael

Old 25-10-2005, 03:26 PM
Michael Persiano

I hope that my recent post clarified this point.

The mulch, whether placed on pots under the bench or in a shed, minimized the freeze-thaw cycle.

My suggestion is that you speak to people in your region and determine what has worked for them. No wintering method is without risk.

Cordially,

Michael