Old 14-11-2004, 09:57 PM
Ann

Larry Blanchard expounded:

The problem is that nobody is as "right" as a religious conservative.
After all, God has told him/her what to do.

The problem is not all Bush supporters are religious
conservatives/fanatics. It's a myth that everyone who voted for Bush
is a bible thumping christian.

I've seen more fanaticism on the left lately. The inability to
realize that people from all walks of life voted in Bush is blinding
many liberals. It's not just the redneck farmer from Kentucky, it's
not just the religious right, it's not just the idiots, blah blah
blah. People voted him in. People can vote him out. Especially if
those people who want him out fronted a worthy opponent. The
Democrats should have picked a better candidate. Or someone should
have. Hopefully in four years someone worthy of all of our votes will
run for office.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 15-11-2004, 02:21 AM
Paul E. Lehmann

Ann wrote:

It's not just the redneck farmer from Kentucky, it's
not just the religious right, it's not just the idiots, blah blah
blah.

You are right, it is the also the very wealthy who have partnered with the
very ignorant to vote him in for a second term. That is a pretty awesome
partnership and one that I don't think will be broken. The very wealthy
are too greedy to vote against their "Family Values" and the very ignorant
will never get any wiser.

Old 15-11-2004, 02:33 AM
Salty Thumb

wrote in
:

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 11:56:35 -0800,

(paghat) wrote:
snip

Those of us who can see the obvious worry about all of America, not
just the ones who attend churches of bigotry. But they all too often
just glory in "ha ha! You don't have a president, we do!" Because
Bush's #1 "moral" agenda is to keep America divided, since a divided
nation is one that can't do anything about it as Bush Brother monitors
even what we check out of the library & whittles away at everyone's
civil rights so that he can continue to turn the nation over to
multinational corporations who are already making both domestic &
international policy. The right may have voted for him so he'll change
the Constitution and make sure queers never have equal rights, but
even supposing he succeeds at that, to be able to SMUGLY die of a
treatable disease because you're po' white trash seems small
recompense.

-paghat the ratgirl

Sorry, paghat but you're wrong here. I generally have a lot of
respect for your opinions, but you don't really know a lot about Bush
supporters if you say these things. There are a lot of delusions

going around these days, but the fear of a right wing theocratic
fascist nation is one of the less credible ones going around.

Why isn't it credible? It would have happened in the 60s if the Russians
hadn't sent up Sputnik, but then suddenly religion had to take a back
seat to science, because faith alone doesn't tell how to make a moon
rocket.

But since I'm a Bush supporter I must either be outright evil, or
simply incredibly stupid and incapable of forming a rational opinion
on my own.

Well isn't it true? You are either 'evil', meaning you are either on the
gravy train for free money or sucking up to those who are (smerf lords)
or you are the 'stupid', who readily believe any form of demagogery,
those are the smerflings. It used to be called feudalism, now it's
called capitalism.

It's too bad that issues can't be discussed these days
without fear, hate, and scorn but I've noticed that it seems to be OK

Are you sure you are a Bush supporter? Perhaps I've succumbed to the
misconception that it's either Bush's way or the highway, and that
discussion is only for bleeding heart liberals and spineless peace-niks.

At any rate, conservatives have certainly had their voices of
vituperation for many years with talk shows popular only for the same
reasons that pro-wrestling and gang membership is appealing.

to be intolerant as long as you're "right". Its a shame since there
are a lot of problems in the world today and it will be difficult to
solve many of them using a line in the sand mentality.

And Bush is known as a great compromiser? Care to rationalize your
opinion?

Old 15-11-2004, 02:57 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:45:52 -0500, wrote:

simply incredibly stupid and incapable of forming a rational opinion

worth considering......
Old 15-11-2004, 05:52 AM
paghat

In article , wrote:

Ann wrote:

It's not just the redneck farmer from Kentucky, it's
not just the religious right, it's not just the idiots, blah blah
blah.

You are right, it is the also the very wealthy who have partnered with the
very ignorant to vote him in for a second term. That is a pretty awesome
partnership and one that I don't think will be broken. The very wealthy
are too greedy to vote against their "Family Values" and the very ignorant
will never get any wiser.

The real problem with Ann's observation is she believes someone from
Kentucky has to be a redneck farmer. She has expressed strange beliefs
about all liberals collectively just as she has about all Kentuckians. I'm
not surprised that a brain filled with hateful stereotypes but not very
aware of the actual complexity of people would also be dumb enough to
think it's a really good idea to vote for & praise someone who has
promised to change the Constitution to limit gays' civil rights, wants to
end women's right to choose, wants to "privatize" social security so that
when it goes bankrupt at least his Enron-type buddies will profit, wages
war to kill thousands upon thousands of people over pretend weopons of
mass destruction but for very real oil company profits, who as a governor
of Texas made "funny" jokes about executing a woman and a retarded man,
who has been selling off the national forest to the deforestation
industry, who through political corruption has undermined, dismantled, or
weakened most of our environmental protection laws to pay back his biggest
campaign donors, who weekly uses Orwellian language to say one thing & do
the opposite, who made Marianne Horinko head of the air division of EPA
not caring that Horinko's previous job was instructing industrial
polluters how to avoid the Superfund & even hired EPA's second in command
from Monsanto & put ex-CEOs of major polluters in positions of
sub-secretariats in charge of the departments of Energy, Agriculture, &
Interior, who bankrupted the Superfund which was formerly financed by a
small tax on the chemical and oil industry which Bush repealed, who has
set new precedence of not honoring the Geneva Conference on treatment of
prisoners of war, directly resulting in violations of the Vienna
Convention on on Consular Relations and the Convention against Torture,
who has subverted the Constitution in order to reinstate the infamous
"Cointelpro" program permitting domestic spying on any and all citizens of
the United States without requiring a reason, who has convinced gullible
plebians that judges who have high regard for the Constitution are
horrible so-called "activist judges" who must be replaced by judges with
no regard for the Constitution, who has continuously violated the
Nuremburg Charter, who evaded military service to his own country but
didn't think twice before resorting to hired thugs to run smear-campaigns
against at least two decorated veterans, who with 48 hours of the Twin
Towers falling was already assisting family members of Osama bin Laden who
did not want to be interviewed by the FBI and so never were but were
hustled out of the United States with special permission from the White
House, who tried to appoint an extremist anti-gay activist who called AIDS
a punishment for the sin of homosexuality to the AIDS Advisory Panel,
appointed Gerald Owens a leading opponent of Civil Rights legislation to a
Department of Education watchdog post to make sure no civil rights were
watchdogged then jestingly pointed out that it was okay to do away with
civil rights since Owens was black, terminated the White House Office for
Women's Initiatives & OUtreach, shut down regional Women's Bureau offices,
and for good measure saw to it that women athletes could qualify for fewer
education grants, has presided over the deterioration of working class
incomes while the richest 2% become far richer -- & that's just the tip of
the iceberg for a man who in only four years has proven himself the most
harmful president of the past century.

By the way, here's a copy of George W. Bush's DWI arrest record:
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/bushdui1.html
Sure, it was the 1970s, but the man was drunk for a couple of decades &
couldn't possibly have many brain cells left undamaged. Being an alchy
does explain why Laura likes the dumb *******, since she KILLED one of her
boyfriends as a drunk driver & only too bad she wasn't dating Bushy so it
could've been him.

Here's the philosophical query: If you could go back in time & kill an
evil president before he committed any harmful acts & thereby you had
saved the planet, would it have been itself an evil act to have killed
such a creature while he was still young & comparatively innocent of any
crimes?

Impeach Bush!

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 15-11-2004, 10:11 AM
Ann

"Paul E. Lehmann" expounded:

You are right, it is the also the very wealthy who have partnered with the
very ignorant to vote him in for a second term.

And what I find extremely amusing is that it's perfectly ok to talk in
metaphores and stereotypes about anyone on the right, but boy oh boy
you'd better not try to stereotype a liberal. Paghat, take it
away.......
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 15-11-2004, 11:33 AM
Paul E. Lehmann

Ann wrote:

"Paul E. Lehmann" expounded:

You are right, it is the also the very wealthy who have partnered with the
very ignorant to vote him in for a second term.

And what I find extremely amusing is that it's perfectly ok to talk in
metaphores and stereotypes about anyone on the right, but boy oh boy
you'd better not try to stereotype a liberal.

Go ahead and stereotype the most famous LIBERAL of them all; JESUS CHRIST

Old 15-11-2004, 01:26 PM
Doug Kanter

(paghat) wrote:
[...]

on my own. It's too bad that issues can't be discussed these days
without fear, hate, and scorn but I've noticed that it seems to be OK
to be intolerant as long as you're "right". Its a shame since there
are a lot of problems in the world today and it will be difficult to
solve many of them using a line in the sand mentality.

Swyck

If you don't read every single article about "upgrades" to the Patriot Act,
worry a lot and write to your representatives about it, you're stupid. If
you do NOT read everything you can get your hands on because you can't
imagine your government doing anything really bad, you are evil, you are a
useless citizen, and you are guilty of treason.

Simple, eh?

Old 15-11-2004, 02:17 PM

http://www.****thesouth.com/
kinda hard to get around the language, but..... interesting.

Larry Blanchard wrote:

In article ,
says...
It's too bad that issues can't be discussed these days
without fear, hate, and scorn but I've noticed that it seems to be OK
to be intolerant as long as you're "right".

The problem is that nobody is as "right" as a religious conservative.
After all, God has told him/her what to do.

There was a letter to the editor in our paper this morning saying that
the reason France/Germany/etc. didn't understand us was that
Christianity was "almost dead" in those countries.

While that's a bit of an exaggeration, it is true that the US is the
most religious of the industrialized nations. We're not quite to the
Ayatollah stage yet, but we're leaning that way.

It's hard to rationally "discuss" issues with fanatics :-).

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 15-11-2004, 02:25 PM

actually, I would say people who voted for Bush could well be voting against the
majority of their own interests. economic, social, and religious, moral.
I call it "love the fetus, hate the child" voting, cause while Bush may be tossing a
few votes to the right wing he is cutting programs that would help our most
destitute, like mothers and their children. And sending other children off to die in
a war.
It is the old political scam. pretend to be exactly what you are not and then accuse
your opponent of being that which you are.
the right wing fanatics are only a small part of the voters for Bush as are the
wealthy. the rest are people who vote "personality" or based on feelings and
beliefs, not on facts.
INgrid

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote:

wrote:

But since I'm a Bush supporter I must either be outright evil, or
simply incredibly stupid and incapable of forming a rational opinion
on my own.

Well said.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 15-11-2004, 02:33 PM

those who dont know how the Nazi party came to power in Germany are doomed to repeat
it.
Martin Niemöller: 'First they came for the Communists, but I was not a Communist, so
I said nothing. Then they came for the Social Democrats, but I was not a Social
Democrat, so I did nothing. Then came the trade unionists, but I was not a trade
unionist. And then they came for the Jews, but I was not a Jew, so I did little. Then
when they came for me, there was no one left to stand up for me."

Bush's strategy (those of the Republicans in control) is to run the debt so high that
all social programs will be cut out completely. Pass oversight but dont fund it so
the environment can be plundered. Force drilling in pristine wilderness, force
grazing on public lands. etc.

"Doug Kanter" wrote:
If you don't read every single article about "upgrades" to the Patriot Act,
worry a lot and write to your representatives about it, you're stupid. If
you do NOT read everything you can get your hands on because you can't
imagine your government doing anything really bad, you are evil, you are a
useless citizen, and you are guilty of treason.

Simple, eh?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List