Old 26-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Sn!pe

Default Hello Garden, Shed Calling.

[xposted from Shed to Garden]

Hello Urglers;

Can anyone offer advice regarding the pros and cons of wormeries versus
compost-bins please?
Old 26-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Natalie

"Sn!pe" wrote in message
. 1.4...
[xposted from Shed to Garden]

Hello Urglers;

Can anyone offer advice regarding the pros and cons of wormeries versus
compost-bins please?

I have both a compost bin and wormery. Generally the garden waste goes in
the compost bin and the kitchen waste goes in the wormery. If you have
room, why not have both?

HTH

Natalie

Old 26-08-2003, 03:04 PM
Al.Kaseltzer

Sn!pe wrote:
[xposted from Shed to Garden]

Hello Urglers;

Can anyone offer advice regarding the pros and cons of wormeries
versus compost-bins please?

Our worms died. But perhaps we didn't look after them well enough.

Old 26-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Linz

"Al.Kaseltzer" wrote in message
Sn!pe wrote:
[xposted from Shed to Garden]

Hello Urglers;

Can anyone offer advice regarding the pros and cons of wormeries
versus compost-bins please?

Our worms died. But perhaps we didn't look after them well enough.

I reckon we had too few worms (and too small a wormery) for two people - we
cook from scratch most days, and dinner involves onions and garlic which
apparently they're not keen on, and we have banana skins and orange peel,
and tea bags. And we should probably have put paper and the dried sea-stuff
in more often.

One major drawback to the wormery, of course, is that to get to the compost
you have to remove the layers of food and worms. With a decent compost bin
you just lift a panel and dig out a bit of compost. Apparently.

Old 26-08-2003, 04:12 PM
Ron Clark

On 26 Aug 2003 12:34:06 GMT, "Sn!pe"
wrote:

[xposted from Shed to Garden]

Hello Urglers;

Can anyone offer advice regarding the pros and cons of wormeries versus
compost-bins please?

You can't grow yer lunch in a compost bin, ole son.

--
®óñ© © ²°°³

Old 26-08-2003, 04:12 PM
JennyC

"Sn!pe" wrote in message
. 1.4...
[xposted from Shed to Garden]

Hello Urglers;

Can anyone offer advice regarding the pros and cons of wormeries

versus
compost-bins please?

I don't have either but the following (rather sheddie !) site has
info.....

http://www.nrwmg.vic.gov.au/wastewis...t/content.html

Jenny

Old 26-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Sn!pe

wrote:

[xposted from Shed to Garden]

Hello Urglers;

Can anyone offer advice regarding the pros and cons of wormeries versus
compost-bins please?

You can't grow yer lunch in a compost bin, ole son.

Fangyewvermush Ron...
--
Sn!pe - Some kind of quantum bogodynamic singularity?
Old 26-08-2003, 05:22 PM
Sn!pe

"JennyC" wrote:

Can anyone offer advice regarding the pros and cons of wormeries

versus
compost-bins please?

I don't have either but the following (rather sheddie !) site has
info.....

http://www.nrwmg.vic.gov.au/wastewis...t/content.html

Excellent, many thanks Jenny.
--
Sn!pe - Some of quantum bogodynamic singularity?
Old 26-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Linz
writes

I reckon we had too few worms (and too small a wormery) for two people - we
cook from scratch most days, and dinner involves onions and garlic which
apparently they're not keen on, and we have banana skins and orange peel,
and tea bags. And we should probably have put paper and the dried sea-stuff
in more often.

One major drawback to the wormery, of course, is that to get to the compost
you have to remove the layers of food and worms. With a decent compost bin
you just lift a panel and dig out a bit of compost. Apparently.

That never works. Best is to have 3 heaps, one filling , one stewing,
one being used.

Hi Linz - remember the barbecued carrot?

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 26-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Mike Lyle

Sn!pe wrote:
[xposted from Shed to Garden]

Hello Urglers;

Can anyone offer advice regarding the pros and cons of wormeries
versus compost-bins please?

Our worms died. But perhaps we didn't look after them well enough.

I reckon we had too few worms (and too small a wormery) for two people - we
cook from scratch most days, and dinner involves onions and garlic which
apparently they're not keen on, and we have banana skins and orange peel,
and tea bags. And we should probably have put paper and the dried sea-stuff
in more often.

One major drawback to the wormery, of course, is that to get to the compost
you have to remove the layers of food and worms. With a decent compost bin
you just lift a panel and dig out a bit of compost. Apparently.

G'day, Linz!

Never done it, but isn't a wormery supposed to have a coarsish mesh
bottom so that the worm-worked material drops out? Apparently.

Mike.

Old 26-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Cerumen

"Sn!pe" wrote in message
. 1.4...
[xposted from Shed to Garden]

Hello Urglers;

Can anyone offer advice regarding the pros and cons of wormeries versus
compost-bins please?

be generous and have one of each?
--
Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 26-08-2003, 08:43 PM
Jim W

Sn!pe wrote:

[xposted from Shed to Garden]

Hello Urglers;

Can anyone offer advice regarding the pros and cons of wormeries versus
compost-bins please?

Killed the xpost..

Wormeries.. need less care to be successful once setup. Need more
sheltered site than Compost bin..

Various designs.. Suggest the HDRA s booklet on Worm composting as a
place to start.. from home made to ready made..

We have an 'original wormery' (shown on this page..)
http://www.greengardener.co.uk/wormeries.htm

No we didn't pay 50 quid for it.. We hauled it out of a skip where it
had been discarded by its previous owners.. We find it works very well.
Its sited under the shelter of a mature tree. And gets protection from
frost in winter in a frost free outhouse (Actually a greenhouse or the
shed..)
That said there are homemade designs around for a similar construction
using a black bin.. (About 8 quid retail)

I would also recommend the HDRA for compost bin designs.. The
'recommended' approach involves 3 bins.. 1 current, 1 to turn into and 1
for matureing.. Given that a 1 metre heap exhausts its air every 7-10
days you have a lot of turning for the 'ideal' compost But most people
get away with lots less.

Cheapest bins are of wire, pole and cardboard construction.. Most
expensive.. The sky's the limit!-0
www.organicgardeningcatalogue.com for those booklets..
//
Jim
Old 26-08-2003, 09:12 PM

Mike Lyle wibbled:
Never done it, but isn't a wormery supposed to have a coarsish mesh
bottom so that the worm-worked material drops out? Apparently.

This one doesn't. It has a bit in the bottom where a liquid collects
that is supposedly a good feed, but the rhubarb isn't especially big, so
I dunno. Maybe if the worms hadn't snuffed it it'd have jbexed better
--
It's never too late to panic
Old 26-08-2003, 09:12 PM
Malc

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Linz
writes

I reckon we had too few worms (and too small a wormery) for two people -

we
cook from scratch most days, and dinner involves onions and garlic which
apparently they're not keen on, and we have banana skins and orange peel,
and tea bags. And we should probably have put paper and the dried

sea-stuff
in more often.

One major drawback to the wormery, of course, is that to get to the

compost
you have to remove the layers of food and worms. With a decent compost

bin
you just lift a panel and dig out a bit of compost. Apparently.

That never works. Best is to have 3 heaps, one filling , one stewing,
one being used.

Hi Linz - remember the barbecued carrot?

Barbecued carrot and compost heaps? Hmmm tasty!!

--
Malc
irony is like steely but with less carbon

Get me out of my tree to reply

Old 26-08-2003, 09:32 PM
Franz Heymann

Sn!pe wrote:
[...]

Surely it will all work out well if your wormery was in a plastic bin with a
small door at the bottom. Then, if you kept feeding from the top, there
will never be much by way of worms right at the bottom, and the good stuff
can simply be scooped out as needed, with minimal disturbance of the worms.

Franz