Old 24-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Chris

Default Fox's aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhh

Please please help !!!!!!!!!!!

Yes our urban fox is a very sweet creature BUT NOT IN MY GARDEN
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are now over run with the buggers , well OK we have a regular 3 that I
know of, and they are wrecking the place not to mention the ghastly smell
:-(
How do I get rid of them or move them on , I have tried all the regular off the shelf stuff and they just laugh it off.

Its getting to the point where I wait by the back door and chase them off when I see them , but one cant do that all night. They are even getting cheeky enough to just casually walk off now when I shout at them , where as they use to scarper at first.

They just dig everything new I plant or grow up after just a few days the longest was a week , even if I try to fence it off it only lasts a few days or a week before the whole lots strewn round the lawn along with the plants. Then theres the lawn that kee
ps getting dug up , but we wont go there :-(

Why me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Any thoughts , is it just my garden they like or do they trash everyones ??????

Any help would be useful but I have tried all the normal stuff. It needs to be "RADICAL" I feel.

Cheers
Chris

Old 24-10-2003, 09:02 PM
David Hill

"...........is it just my garden they like or do they trash everyone's ?
.............."

Up to 3 weeks ago I had a lawn but a mole and a very keen fox or two and now
almost 20% has been dug up, I have seen 2 of them at different times, one
almost chocolate with a black brush.
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Old 24-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Chris

Ah so its not just my garden they like , so apart from the obvious which is
get my mate round with his shot gun ( ducks for incoming don't shoot our
fox's replies ) how can we stop the darn things or just make them go to
someone else's?????

Chris

David Hill wrote in message
"...........is it just my garden they like or do they trash everyone's ?
............."

Old 24-10-2003, 09:22 PM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 20:42:15 +0100, "Chris"
wrote:

How do I get rid of them or move them on ,

Now I heard somewhere just recently that animals scent-mark their
territory with urine.
The way to beat them is to mark your territory with some of your own!
How you do that is up to you!
I'd like to know if it works, but have no foxes to test it on!
Good luck.

Pam in Bristol
Old 24-10-2003, 10:03 PM
Mary Fisher

Yes our urban fox is a very sweet creature BUT NOT IN MY GARDEN
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nor mine.

We've lost several hens to them. They didn't eat the hens, just killed them.
In the daytime. Always.

Its getting to the point where I wait by the back door and chase them off

when I see them , but one cant do that all night. They are even getting
cheeky enough to just casually walk off now when I shout at them , where as
they use to scarper at first.

Yes. They also come during the day, or when we're in the garden, and look
indignantly at us if we dare to walk towards them.

Why me !!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not just you.

Any thoughts , is it just my garden they like or do they trash everyones

??????

They didn't trash our garden but they caused a LOT of unhappiness. Our hens
are as precious to us as some people's dogs and cats are to them.

Any help would be useful but I have tried all the normal stuff. It needs

to be "RADICAL" I feel.

Renardine does work but you have to apply it very frequently and it becomes
expensive.

Man-made deterrent simply didn't work for us, despite everyone's claim that
it does.

The most prickly hedging was sneered at, thick fur coats is impervious to
hawthorn, berberis, holly, pyracantha and anything else you can name.
Believe me, we tried it all.

Because we're in the inner city we can't shoot them or call in the hunt. A
'humane' trap would only move the problem somewhere else.

Barbed wire along the tops of fencing was disdained.

Loose chicken netting along the top of fencing, might work, we never saw a
fox scale that. The idea is that even if they jump up to it the netting
won't hold their weight so they don't persist.

We had to make a high fence (two metres) of chain link supported by a steel
framework, which they couldn't scale. But neighbours' wooden fences with 3"
wide wooden cappings made it easy for these apparently circus-trained
acrobats to walk along and hop over our fence at the corner.

The answer was to weld thin upright steel rods, 3" apart, along the top of
the steel fence framework. They're about 18" high and to date (fingers
crossed) have done the dibs. We haven't had a hen killed in months. In fact
the foxes seem to have given up trying, we haven't seen one for ages.

The problem is that some neighbours like to see fox in their gardens and
encourage them. In some places - not ours - fox are attracted by dustbins
because of all the food which is discarded. Not only do we discard food but
our bins are fox-proof. But the myth that fox are fluffy wuffy nice ickle
animals persist among those who don't suffer from them.

Apart from a mechanical deterrent I can't help you - but I sympathise ...

Mary

Cheers
Chris

Old 24-10-2003, 10:22 PM
oldmolly

"Chris" wrote in message
Ah so its not just my garden they like , so apart from the obvious which

is
get my mate round with his shot gun ( ducks for incoming don't shoot our
fox's replies ) how can we stop the darn things or just make them go to
someone else's?????

You simply purchase a cheapo battery powered electric fence energiser and
run a strand of electric twine at about 10 - 12" from the ground. They will
only get zapped a couple of times before moving on to your neighbours land.
I have such a thing for sale if you are interested :0)

Old 24-10-2003, 11:02 PM
LordSnooty

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 22:20:31 +0100, "oldmolly"
wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message
Ah so its not just my garden they like , so apart from the obvious which

is
get my mate round with his shot gun ( ducks for incoming don't shoot our
fox's replies ) how can we stop the darn things or just make them go to
someone else's?????

You simply purchase a cheapo battery powered electric fence energiser and
run a strand of electric twine at about 10 - 12" from the ground. They will
only get zapped a couple of times before moving on to your neighbours land.
I have such a thing for sale if you are interested :0)

Very, very effective they are too, and not just fo the foxes. See,
always a non lethal solution if you really can be bothered.

'You can't win 'em all.'
Lord Haw Haw.

Since I stopped donating money to CONservation hooligan charities
Like the RSPB, Woodland Trust and all the other fat cat charities
I am in the top 0.801% richest people in the world.
There are 5,951,930,035 people poorer than me

If you're really interested I am the 48,069,965
richest person in the world.

And I'm keeping the bloody lot.

So sue me.

http://www.globalrichlist.com/
Old 24-10-2003, 11:22 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 21:19:31 +0100, Pam Moore wrote:

I'd like to know if it works, but have no foxes to test it on!

Pam in Bristol

I thought Bristol had one of the highest urban fox populations in the
country. When I lived there (Clifton) they where all over the place,
bold as brass.

As to the OPs problem foxes and cats don't get on but thats probably
as case of "out of the frying pan into the fire". I wonder if the
local enviromental health department can offer any advice?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 24-10-2003, 11:22 PM
ned

It's very re-assuring to hear that close proximity with Freddie tends
to change the 'common' view that he is a pretty, cuddly, colourful
addition to the landscape.

What bugs the country folk is that well meaning NIMBY townies have
actually been known to collect their urban rascals up and release them
in the country ......... and don't you rural thugs dare lay a finger
on them!!!!!

Yes. If you say so.

--
ned

Old 24-10-2003, 11:32 PM
Bob Hobden

"Chris" wrote in message...

[...]

Personally my family and I love our local allotment, we love it when they
try to use fleece or enviromesh because it's such fun to bounce around on
and rip up. Planted onion sets etc are also great fun to dig up and spread
around as are potatoes and then there is digging deep and burying something
juicy for the gardener to dig up later, like a dead rat or two gammons or
bad duck eggs, you should see his face when they turn up on the end of his
fork, such fun, we do laugh.
Now, for a good days sleep may I suggest a nice warm compost heap, solid
wooden walls lined with polystyrene full of slowly rotting greenstuff, keeps
me dry and warm no matter what the weather does. Of course you have to break
into it first and then will need to make sure nobody else tries to muscle in
so make sure it's well marked in the usual way, oh, and never bury your
crap, it adds something to the atmosphere of the place.

Basil.

Old 24-10-2003, 11:32 PM
David Hill

"......... You simply purchase a cheapo battery powered electric fence
energiser and run a strand of electric twine at about 10 - 12" from the
ground. They will only get zapped a couple of times before moving on to your
neighbours land.
I have such a thing for sale if you are interested :0)..."
That's ok on a small garden but my boundary is around half to three quarters
of a mile and as well as foxes I also have badgers.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 24-10-2003, 11:42 PM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 23:10:09 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

I thought Bristol had one of the highest urban fox populations in the
country. When I lived there (Clifton) they where all over the place,
bold as brass.

They died out a few years ago but are building up numbers again.
However I live outside Bristol and never see a fox here!

Pam in Bristol
Old 24-10-2003, 11:42 PM
LordSnooty

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 23:17:26 +0100, "ned" wrote:

It's very re-assuring to hear that close proximity with Freddie tends
to change the 'common' view that he is a pretty, cuddly, colourful
addition to the landscape.

Most of us are quite happy to share our gardens with nature and all it
throws at us, wildlife in the garden is a big, big bonus and often
encouraged. It's only the selfish bigots who complain, but then they
shouldnt have a garden, they dont deserve one.

What bugs the country folk is that well meaning NIMBY townies have
actually been known to collect their urban rascals up and release them
in the country ......... and don't you rural thugs dare lay a finger
on them!!!!!

Indeed.

Yes. If you say so.

Indeed.

Old 24-10-2003, 11:43 PM
Mary Fisher

[...]

You sleep during the day?

You obviously aren't posting from my part of the country.

Oh - you're Basil, sorry, our families are all called Charlie ...

Mary

Old 25-10-2003, 12:03 AM
LordSnooty

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 23:25:40 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message...

[...]

Disgusting, and people have the audacity to complain about foxes!!

'You can't win 'em all.'
Lord Haw Haw.

Since I stopped donating money to CONservation hooligan charities
Like the RSPB, Woodland Trust and all the other fat cat charities
I am in the top 0.801% richest people in the world.
There are 5,951,930,035 people poorer than me

If you're really interested I am the 48,069,965
richest person in the world.

And I'm keeping the bloody lot.

So sue me.

http://www.globalrichlist.com/

Does it realy fox the fox? John Towill United Kingdom 292 14-02-2004 09:34 AM
It's a Fox...not a coon... BenignVanilla Ponds 3 07-08-2003 01:32 PM
Is my Flying fox an SAE Scott Rogahn Freshwater Aquaria Plants 12 19-06-2003 10:32 AM
Fox toilet Judy Rigby United Kingdom 16 22-05-2003 07:08 PM
Urban fox hedgehog United Kingdom 5 18-03-2003 05:20 PM