Old 24-07-2007, 02:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Help........

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

By the way, this sounds like a great time to put up a whole bunch of those
"no trespassing" signs that hardware stores sell. Get the kind that have a
space where you can add the landowner's name. Call the cops instantly if you
see anyone on the land. Ask your lawyer what the maximum penalty is, and if
it's a night in jail, insist on it. No deal. No negotiating. You know they
wanted to hurt or steal the horses, right? :-)

oh, that one's been covered for a while, got the signs posted in various
places along the fence, got our number, and the number to the wild horse
rescue chapter's local officer also. on the front side of the pasture is
a church, and the back side is a small housing community, so someone
usually lets us know what's going on out there...only person I've caught
out there so far has been a kid after his kite...
Old 24-07-2007, 02:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default I want the recipe

On 7/24/07 9:01 AM, in article , "rachael simpson"
wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

btw, decided on supper. on the menu: garlic & parmesan fries and string
beans, pork tenderloin (seasoned with garlic salt, balsamic vinaigrette,
& honey), and cilantro corn-salad. Anyone hungry?

rachael aka rae

not rachael ray.......yet!

For the corn salad

Will trade my chickpea salad recipe

Cilantro Corn Salad
1/2 cup MIRACLE WHIP Dressing
1/2 cup vanilla low-fat yogurt
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 tsp. ground ginger
4 cups frozen corn, thawed, drained
1 medium red pepper, chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped

COMBINE dressing, yogurt, cilantro and ginger in medium bowl.
ADD remaining ingredients; mix well. Cover.
REFRIGERATE at least 1 hour or until ready to serve.

original recipe calls for jalapeno, but i used my cayenne of
course....also use more bell pepper or banana pepper instead, when
cooking for socials, in case someone doesn't like the hotter stuff.

this recipe makes around 8 servings

Thank you! sounds great

Chick Pea Salad
2 cans of chick peas well rinsed and drained
One bunch of cilantro, rinsed and coarsely chopped
1 lg sweet onion, coarse chop
3-4 tomatoes , coarse chop
Vinegar of choice, I mix a splash of balsamic and rice wine
Good extra virgin olive oil

Mix together and refrigerate at least one hour.

Old 24-07-2007, 02:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/24/07 9:23 AM, in article , "rachael simpson"
wrote:

sockiescat wrote:

okay first thing id like to know is if they did an environmental impact
report did u give them permission to go onto your land to do it? if not
then they trespassed. also are u sure that one was done?
you have the right as the land owner to see all aspects of that report
and they cannot tell u otherwise.
also since the water hits a dead end what does it have to do with
anyone unless as has been mentioned there are some wells close to your
area.
sounds like someone is going to get paid big bucks for something to do
with that land and if everyone here is in agreement and i would be sure
that they are its the relatives.
if the hydro goes by your area then there is a potential for
development for factories etc in that area and it would be great
because the power grid is right there.
i sure would push this issue and get hold of a newspaper as was
mentioned--a fairly large one outside of your town if possible--and let
them know whats going on. also get hold of a national television station
outside of your area.
also get hold of your the environmental office and any farming groups
or organization that u know of. if u are not able to find any of them
contact your ministry of agriculture and im sure they can help. then
lets see what happens. good luck, sockiescat.

Since I have not seen the environmental report myself, I don't know in
truth, if they actually did one. At a meeting with DOT, at the pasture,
I asked about it, and was told that they had. When I asked to see it at
that time, they said they didn't have a copy with them, to call their
office. When I called the office is when I was told that I didn't have
the right and it wasn't necessary for me to see it.

Will begin making the proper calls as soon as mom picks up the kids...
will begin with environment office and go from there. Friend (the judge)
has gotten a attorney i am to speak with at 2:00 eastern this afternoon.
was told to let attorney take care of talking to press, if that
becomes necessary. Have alerted the local wild horse rescue chapter,
also. (2 of the horses are rehabilitated, formerly wild mustangs)

thanks for the input,
rae

The rescued horse part will help....
Cheryl

Old 24-07-2007, 02:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
*snip*
Thank you! sounds great

Chick Pea Salad
2 cans of chick peas well rinsed and drained
One bunch of cilantro, rinsed and coarsely chopped
1 lg sweet onion, coarse chop
3-4 tomatoes , coarse chop
Vinegar of choice, I mix a splash of balsamic and rice wine
Good extra virgin olive oil

Mix together and refrigerate at least one hour.

cool, will try in the near future...got a church dinner coming up, will
fix for that!
Old 24-07-2007, 03:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[...]

My oldest son may marry a mideast lady soon.

Bill

http://mideastfood.about.com/od/midd.../hummus101.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahini

Hummus
From Saad Fayed,

Hummus is one of the more popular Middle Eastern dips. Served with fresh
or toasted pita, hummus makes for a great snack or appetizer. Tahini is
an important part of the hummus recipe and cannot be substituted.
However, it can be omitted.

More Hummus Recipes
INGREDIENTS:
€ 1 16 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
€ 1/4 cup liquid from can of chickpeas
€ 3-5 tablespoons lemon juice (depending on taste)
€ 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
€ 2 cloves garlic, crushed
€ 1/2 teaspoon salt
€ 2 tablespoons olive oil
PREPARATION:
Drain chickpeas and set aside liquid from can. Combine remaining
ingredients in blender or food processor. Add 1/4 cup of liquid from
chickpeas. Blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and
smooth.

Place in serving bowl, and create a shallow well in the center of the
hummus.

Add a small amount (1-2 tablespoons) of olive oil in the well. Garnish
with parsley (optional).

Serve immediately with fresh, warm or toasted pita bread, or cover and
refrigerate.
Variations
For a spicier hummus, add a sliced red chile or a dash of cayenne pepper.
Storing Hummus
Hummus can be refrigerated for up to 3 days and can be kept in the
freezer for up to one month. Add a little olive oil if it appears to be
too dry.

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 24-07-2007, 03:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/24/07 9:53 AM, in article , "rachael
simpson" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
*snip*
Thank you! sounds great

Chick Pea Salad
2 cans of chick peas well rinsed and drained
One bunch of cilantro, rinsed and coarsely chopped
1 lg sweet onion, coarse chop
3-4 tomatoes , coarse chop
Vinegar of choice, I mix a splash of balsamic and rice wine
Good extra virgin olive oil

Mix together and refrigerate at least one hour.

cool, will try in the near future...got a church dinner coming up, will
fix for that!

I've added olives to this, also banana peppers (the mildly hot ones, skip
the vinegar). I love it because it is so flexible.

Old 24-07-2007, 04:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

I love chickpeas !

Old 24-07-2007, 04:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

William Wagner wrote:

My oldest son may marry a mideast lady soon.

Bill

http://mideastfood.about.com/od/midd.../hummus101.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahini

Hummus
From Saad Fayed,

[...]

putting this one on file to try in the future too. I generally prefer my
dips & salads fresh and not refrigerated. will try this one fresh with
the toasted pita chips. if like, might use tortilla chips with the
spicier version. bet that's good together. why is it that the tahini
can't be substituted with something else, but it can be omitted?
Old 24-07-2007, 04:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

William Wagner wrote:

My oldest son may marry a mideast lady soon.

Bill

http://mideastfood.about.com/od/midd.../hummus101.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahini

Hummus
From Saad Fayed,

[...]

My guess is it makes for a complete protein.

Bill whose son said no more Hummus while here as he needed a break from
it.

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 24-07-2007, 05:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

ok, 3 calls down:

call #1 went to the local DOT office again, to verify whether or not
there was an environmental impact report. (have names, but won't divulge
on here). Person i spoke to *assured* me that all paperwork was in order
on their part, then sounded quiet when I demanded that i had the right
to see it, and wanted a copy faxed to me immediately. She then passed me
on to someone else, who quickly learned that i wasn't just some country
hick girl that could easily be talked over and put aside. He said that
their reports were for dot and government use only, and that if i wanted
an environmental impact done, then i would have to have it done
privately. when i quickly picked up on that an said "so, in fact, no
such report has been done then?" he got all flabbergasted and did a lot
of "uhh,well,uhh,no". then said that all necessary paperwork had been
done. they didn't think that it was necessary for this project, seeing
as how they had done ditch work there in the past. i very politely
thanked him for his time & hung up. oh, they are suppose to be faxing me
a copy of the blueprints for the construction.

call #2
called environmental office, informed them what was going on, man stated
that he would look into it, and set up meeting for tomorrow at the pasture.

call #3:
the wild horse rescue again. rep will accompany me on meeting with
attorney this afternoon. wants to see about having some sort of
protection order put in place for the horses at least, to prevent work
from starting, until this can all be sorted out.

sounds like this may be drawn out for a while.
thanks to everyone for their advice!
rae

Old 24-07-2007, 05:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

"rachael simpson" wrote in message
[...]

Heh. Now you're having fun.

Back in the 70s, there was a book called something like "Success Through
Intimidation". The title turned a lot of people off, but the intimidation
meant being overwhelmingly prepared and meticulous. As you discovered, it
works well with small government beaurocrats.

Old 24-07-2007, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

William Wagner wrote:

My oldest son may marry a mideast lady soon.

Bill

http://mideastfood.about.com/od/midd.../hummus101.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahini

Hummus
From Saad Fayed,

[...]

Tanin't hummus less 'en its' got tahini. Might be good but it ain't
hummus. Tahini is made from sesame seeds. Not much else tastes like
sesame. The seeds have medicinal properties which include aphrodisiac,
demulcent, diuretic, emmenagogue, emollient, galactogogue, laxative,
rejuvenative, tonic.

See more at http://www.holistic-online.com/Herba...Herbs/h194.htm
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 24-07-2007, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

William Wagner wrote:

My oldest son may marry a mideast lady soon.

Bill

http://mideastfood.about.com/od/midd.../hummus101.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahini

Hummus
From Saad Fayed,

[...]

I've been making what is basically the same recipe for years. Only
difference is I put 1/4 cup tahini in the hummos versus 1.5 tablespoons.
The recipe I use comes from a cookbook I bought in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia,
written by a Swiss woman married to an Egyptian military officer who has
been living in Saudi for years. Good cookbook too. And Billy is right,
it ain't hummos without the tahini.

George

Old 24-07-2007, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

rachael simpson wrote:
Sheldon wrote:

I gather from your writing that you don't actually own this 20 acre
pasture, but by some agreement you have access. *And even if you do
own it if that land is designated as "Wetlands" (which is likely)
there is nothing you can do... I'm surprised the state is permitting
anyone to keep livestock there, perhaps they haven't inspected
recently and/or the local inspector turns a blind eye. *If that
acreage is indeed wetlands I were you I'd not make a ruckus, I'd
quietly (and quickly) find somewhere else to keep my animals lest you
get hit with some stiff penalties and the clean up costs, which can be
staggering. *And if you're using someone's land by verbal agreement
you can bet the owner will never admit to even knowing you. *Among
other issues (erosion, etc.) wetlands are designated as such because
of how they affect other bodies of water and especially water tables,
most especially with coliform from livestock.

To start with, we had a legal contract to the land. Laywers took care of
this. It was a rental contract to begin with. The owner decided after 5
years of constant payment, we did not have to pay anymore to continue
using it. Had another document drawn-up, stating that we had paid in
full, and the land was legally ours, with the exception that he & his
wife have lifetime rights. We will own the area his house is own then,
also. For now, we help him keep his yard and garden up. We hold the deed
to the whole area of 32 acres.

That doesn't sound kosher to me, no one "takes care of" title
transfer. You had no closing and paid no consideration, did no title
search to discover if the land is even clear of encumberences and who
the legal owner is. You cannot so simply acquire land ownership by
say so... even a tax search would need to be conducted, someone is
always liable for taxes, always the owner of record.

No, it is not wetland area. Not according to the county maps and land
office anyway. I have had that checked.

You had it checked or checked it yourself, which?

Cattle have been on that exact spot for generations. It has been a
pasture for at least 80 years. The man we got it from, his family had
that place before him. He is 84 and says that when he was a child, his
grand-father and father had cattle there

Who cares, that's a bunch of red herring if I ever smelled one.

You said you "have" a 20 acre pasture instead of saying you *own* a 20
acre pasture. If you actually owned that land you would have said
*owned*, and then no way would any agency come on your land and do the
kind of work you describe, not unless there exists a wetlands easement
for remedial work, or some kind of easement. If there actually was a
recent deed transfer you'd absolutely know of any incumberances,
especially easements and ROWs, they'd be accurately indicated right on
the deed, even if there were no recent survey.

Your way of expressing yourself does not make you believeable. I've
bought and sold too may pieces of real estate in my life to not
recognize BS. No one turns over 20 acres, and then another 10 acres
and with their home, just because as you claim you've been paying rent
to keep a few head of livestock in a pasture for five years (no one
keeps livestock with no shelter). I don't care about what others wish
to believe but I for one do not believe your story, not a word.

Old 24-07-2007, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/24/07 4:22 PM, in article ,
"George Shirley" wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

William Wagner wrote:

My oldest son may marry a mideast lady soon.

Bill

http://mideastfood.about.com/od/midd.../hummus101.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahini

Hummus
From Saad Fayed,

[...]

Hey George,
When were you in Jeddah? My folks were in Abqaiq from 1978 to 1987
(roughly). I went over in 79 for 6 weeks....

Cheryl

[IMG] code is On

HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
help with high light/high co2 tank out of balance = greenwater :( help J. H. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 08-04-2003 04:44 PM
YOU HELP ME AND I HELP YOU !!! illmatic Ponds (alternative) 0 26-03-2003 03:32 AM
[IBC] IBCers You can help the list (was: [IBC] Please help me :-))) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 23-03-2003 12:44 AM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 05:09 AM