Old 13-08-2007, 01:27 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

Default Effective method to prevent emerald ash borer

Treelady, et, Al.

The only reason you find "Symplastless" to have a good understanding of
trees is that you are ignorant.

Note that I stated "ignorant" and not stupid. My statement is not an
insult, but rather a logical reply based on your input.

It is obvious that none of the rest of you have enough experience with
Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) to offer advice or experience with the critter.

So, instead this thread becomes a fury of insults. How ridiculously
selfish.

I am the only one who has offered any positive information about this
topic, with the exception of the person who started this thread - and
that person was *NOT* "Symplastless".

Just because "Symplastless" has a "good understanding of trees" (a
statement coming from someone ("Treelady") who may or may not have
credentials), doesn't mean he knows anything about EAB.

His offer that healthy trees respond more vigorously to fend off disease
and pathogens as a response to an EAB infection speaks volumes to his
ignorance of the matter.

"D. Staples", a forester in the SE *IS* educated, as is "Joe" (a
forester in the NE.) There are other professional people who serve the
posters on this newsgroup as well. We all have paid our dues serving
the public, serving private and group land ownerships and acquiring a
degree from different universities.

This is something that Keslick ("Symplastless") has *NOT* done.

....and his lack of knowledge on the subject matter, along with his
self-marketing is a typical combination of a scam artist.

THIS is why I suggested to the original poster to simply ignore him.

I'd recommend that advice to my colleague D. Staples once again too.

(Note to Don, cheap entertainment yes - but there are bigger bangs for
the buck so to speak).

As to you other faux geniuses out there, (e.g. "Billy Rose"), please
take the mensa test and see how you score. I suspect that you will not
fare as well as you think.

Regards,
Geoff

Treelady wrote:

"I find Symplastless to have a good understanding of trees, theier
biology and appropriate care. To ignore him is to dismiss the
teachings of Alex Shigo- anyone claiming to understand or know about
trees without due regard for Shigo's work is one to be taken with a
pinch of salt."

On Aug 8, 7:48 pm, Geoff-consulting forester in the US
wrote:
I'm a registered forester in Michigan, Pat.

Ignore this "symplastless" guy... he's a wanna-be forester.
Lacking some serious formal education, and thus professional background.

Myself and my colleagues have had to sort through the majority of his
posts on this forum.

I do not believe that the American ash is "history", but there is no
doubt the bug has done some serious damage to many of our hardwood
stands in the central lower peninsula (or "810" area code as I call it -
even though the actual problem extends far beyond that area code's
boundaries).

I live in Osceola county (just South of Cadillac) and it has been found
in my county, but not doing damage to the extent that it did in lower
Michigan. I have not yet seen it in a stand up here. I hope it
continues that way.

The biggest problem is vectoring. It cannot vector itself very far
(maybe a mile or two), but people can vector it very broad and very fast
via cars, hence the "moving firewood bugs me" campaign.

Once it gets to a place where there are any form of ash trees, it goes
on a feeding frenzy that is like no other.

I've sold timber in Defiance County, Ohio - which was also one of the
EAB problem areas, but timber in NW Ohio is scattered enough as to not
be a problem for EABs.

EAB resistance is more than likely a futile attempt. The best way to
eliminate the problem is to eliminate the hosts where populations of EAB
are found. This critter is not known to prey on other trees.Pat Kiewicz wrote:
symplastless said:
Product pusher. Bayer also claims to be a feeder of trees as well.
You'll learn to sing some other tune when these insects arrive in your
neck of the woods. They are a monumental catastrophe. I live near
ground zero. Millions of ash trees, in forests and back yards, have
been killed. The non-native emerald ash borer attacks healthy trees
as well as stressed trees. The skeletons of dead ash in nearby wildlands
eerie and obvious. All due to a surprisingly small green beetle.
Long term (maybe very long term indeed), breeding resistant strains of
North American ash and finding appropriate biological controls will be
needed or the American ash is history.
http://www.emeraldashborer.info/
Should I Replant or Save My Ash? (PowerPoint presentation):
http://www.emeraldashborer.info/file...ProtectAsh.htm
Options for 'do it yourself' homeowners unwilling to give up on their
ash trees:
http://www.emeraldashborer.info/files/E2955.pdf
(As for me, if I had to make a choice, I would the ash tree removed
and be done with it.)
Quote fromhttp://www.emeraldashborer.info/homeownerinfo.cfm
"IMPORTANT NOTE: Using insecticides to control EAB on ash trees is an
option in Michigan and the EAB quarantined counties in Ohio, Indiana
and Illinois. If your tree is located within an area designated for
eradication or suppression activities, it may be removed by regulatory
agencies even if it has been treated. In those cases where government-
ordered tree removals occur within the contiguous EAB quarantine
counties, consideration will be given to ash trees treated by certified
applicators utilizing methods and materials recommended by Michigan
State University. If your ash trees are located outside of this area in
Michigan, Indiana, Illinois or Ohio, using insecticides may not be
recommended. If you are not sure about the regulatory status of your
area or whether you should consider insecticides, please contact your
county Extension office."

Old 13-08-2007, 02:07 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry
Ann Ann is offline

"Joe" expounded:

I believe it was the TREE BIOLOGIST who cross posted- get him to stop cross
posting and we can go back to our own realities.

No, as has been pointed out, the original poster crossposted it. From
abbreviated header:

From: szilagyic
Newsgroups: rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 18:19:20 -0000

And a goggle grouper to boot /
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 13-08-2007, 02:10 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry
Ann Ann is offline

Geoff-consulting forester in the US
expounded:

As to you other faux geniuses out there, (e.g. "Billy Rose"), please
take the mensa test and see how you score. I suspect that you will not
fare as well as you think.

Mensa teaches you to post the same drivel seven times? Follow-ups
set.
Old 13-08-2007, 02:40 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

Geoff-consulting forester in the US wrote:
Treelady, et, Al.

The only reason you find "Symplastless" to have a good understanding of
trees is that you are ignorant.

Note that I stated "ignorant" and not stupid. My statement is not an
insult, but rather a logical reply based on your input.

Then you must also be ignorant to have posted this exact message 7
times! Note: I stated "ignorant" and this is my logical reply based on
everyone's input:

All you self-righteous folk, go back to your "forestry" and leave our
gardens, please!

In defense of John, all he did was reply to a thread that had been
cross-posted. He was *NOT* the original cross-poster. Neither was Billy.
Or Ann. Or myself. With some readers, if not all of them, when you hit
reply to a thread, it sends the reply to all the groups that the OP sent
it to. Whereas, you seem to think that we invaded your territory, STS,
we could think the same here in wreck gardens. So how's bout a
deal....you go back where you belong, and we will stay where we belong.

Oh & glad that Don's vocabulary is so advanced that he has to revert to
name calling with explicits. That was so uncalled for. Is that the type
of language you learned in your PR classes?
Old 13-08-2007, 03:02 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

I have to admit, Pat it was tough even seeing your post in this giant
pile of insults, but I found it and I'll answer your questions about EAB.
See my comments below (some snipped):

Locally, the initial symtoms of what was called at first (if I remember
correctly) 'ash decline' was noticed for several years before trees
started dying in vast numbers.

-Pest and Pathogen scientists typically call severe undiagnosed health
problems in trees "decline". It's a general term for not being able to
diagnose exactly what is killing a tree.

It is sometimes quite a chore to figure out what is killing a tree or
trees as there are literally THOUSANDS of potential pathogens, any of
which could be affecting the tree either alone or in combination. We
(foresters) know when we get out in a Beech/Maple forest for example
when we see a Sugar maple with a target canker on it, it is probably
caused by a Nectria genus fungi, but to place a species on it might be
tough, since there are many species in that genus of fungi that could
cause a canker. The only reason we know of the problem is that someone
has taken the time to study it (in a lab) and the study was well
documented and known and the disease is common enough to see in the
forest.

In most cases, the diseases, insects or other pathogens have been
studied, but the amount of time to research the specie(s) of pathogen
affecting most single plants is often more costly than simply replacing
the plants (in a landscape situation).

In an urban setting, trees have a higher value (landscape value) than do
timber trees (at least typically they do), so more time (and $) can be
spent taking care of them.

Luckily, someone was smart enough to notice unusual galleries in the
White and Green ash trees and notice that it wasn't a previously known
occurring pest. There are actually gov't people who are doing something
for your money!

If you knew what was lurking in Asia (and to Europe to some extent)
ready to come over on the boat to set up a "lunch plan" over here in
America, you would be amazed - most people would want significant trade
barriers up - but would they stop shopping at wal-mart? I think not...

Our latest problem is the Sirex wood wasp (also in NY, PA, and Ontario),
which is a pest to "hard pines" like Austrian, Jack, Red and Scotch
pines. The Red and Jack pines are obvious "problem" targets, as those
are the only indigenous species of hard pines here, and they are worth
collectively MANY times what the other two species are worth (from both
a timber and ecologically important roles - A small example: Kirtland
Warbler, a transmigratory bird depends on scrubby Jack pine fields for
it's nesting habitat in the Grayling area).

We seriously hope it won't be as much of a problem as EAB is!

I actually had one (the first live beetle I'd seen) tucked under the
the windshield wiper on my car. I sure hope they don't normally
ride around that way.

That is exactly how they get vectored. Windshield wipers, under the
body, frame, wheels, etc. Firewood is a larger problem yet, since there
can be larva underneath the bark and they can emerge in different locations.

Do you have much trouble getting property owners to eliminate
host trees?

No, but I'm a private forester - Not a gov't guy. Landowners depend on
my decisions, not the other way around...

Generally, my advice is to hold off on cutting Ash trees that aren't
ready to be cut. There is no sense just cutting trees "in case".
Seriously, it's a bit ridiculous - but that's the way some loggers (and
wood pimps) are trying to market (scare) landowners into cutting trees.

And in areas the EAB has run rampant over, can they survive
at a low level on the basal shoots that ash trees put out?

I don't know, but I suspect the answer is no - unless the bugs waited
around until those shoots got large enough to produce bark thick enough
to make a habitat for them again (10-15 years or so) - but they would
have to do that by feeding on current ash trees within a 2 mile radius
(max) or so.

I know that there
are many skeletal ash trees (especially along freeways* and in woodlots)
that are still standing and some still send up new shoots.

*I suppose the excuse for this is lack of funds...

Yeah, the streets of Michigan Center, Michigan had dead Ash standing
along the street the last time I was down there. It's horrible looking,
but money is tight right now for nearly everybody in our state, public
and private sectors.

Actually, lack of funds is a *valid reason* for the lack of further
forced EAB extermination (believe me, the state burros will waste every
damned red cent that they could get their greedy hands on, since they
are clueless on where the money came from or held value to the previous
holder anyway).

There are still quarantines on hauling wood between counties, etc.
There are also checkpoints, but whether the transportation of wood is
enforced or not is anyone's guess. I could find out just by calling
around to some mills, etc. I suspect record auditing is going on, but
unsure.

My responsibility ends outside my client's boundaries (since I always
stay within them).

We have to do as much as possible to stop the vectoring of these
critters into other areas that contain host trees.

EAB has brought Ash timber prices to record lows (relative to the
strength of the dollar) during the last 5 years - and has had other
indirect impacts toward the legislative process as well.

It's a whole lot better if we can educate people to understand how to
eliminate this critter - but it takes everyone's involvement.

Not every green bug is an EAB, but if you're absolutely sure the one you
see is, please squash him a.s.a.p.
Old 13-08-2007, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

"rachael simpson" wrote in message
[...]

This is probably as good a place as any in this thread to offer an
observation.

You people are funny.

Wolfgang
who spends most of his time in another newsgroup......no less populated with
idiots and buffoons, to be sure.....but at least somebody actually says
something once in a while.

Old 13-08-2007, 03:56 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

An error occurred in my mail program several times stating that the
message was not sent..but sent the messages anyway.

*I reason that this is shared ignorance:*

1. The programmer is ignorant that this error is displayed and yet sends
the messages anyway;
2. I was ignorant that the program sent messages that displayed errors
stating that messages had not been sent;
3. You were ignorant of the cause of the "7" posts.

I count 6 posts, so there could be even more ignorance here - it's
fairly rampant in humans (to err is human).

Feeling less ignorant now? I am.

Now, while you are correct that others have "cross replied" to the
thread (most did actually), you're missing the point:

Keslick is a scam artist, marketing skills and expertise he lacks.

Those of us who do have the expertise and skills realize this quite
clearly nearly every time he posts his rhetoric.

Those of you who do not understand would have no idea how damaging this
is to the industry, because you're not a part of it. Some of us don't
take kindly to this sort of scam artist - the same reason that the
professional dancers on the Nationally syndicated television show "Do
you think you can Dance" get upset and make negative comments about
people who get up there stating that they are a trainer and just can't
friggin' dance.

It's disrespectful to the profession. Unfortunately, we're (the
foresters) in the difficult situation of having a profession that is so
small collectively, we don't have a lobbying firm or PR marketing team
to make it illegal for idiots like John Keslick to market himself as a
"tree bilogist", etc.

We can't have shows with monkeys running up and down trees like they're
"TREE HUNTER", because trees don't move and that's boring.

All we can do is feel sorry for the clients Keslick rips off by charging
a fee to them to taking care of their trees inappropriately through the
obvious lack of knowledge and incompetence, the same way many other
major "landscape care" companies do.

The Forestry program at the University I attended didn't have any Public
Relations (PR) class of any sort (maybe a small angle or two was covered
in a Socioeconomics class). It also didn't have an ethics class - BOTH
of which are arguably needed.

However, Unlike anything that "Symplastless" has experienced, it *DID*
have all kinds of classes related to the study of trees and forests;
Biology, Inorganic and Organic Chemistry, Plant Physiology, Pathology,
Drendology, Entomology, Forest Ecology, Biometry, Forest management and
others.

Now, as far as the ****ing freedom of speech goes you little
anti-American church going whore, Don't tread on my bill of rights.

Oh yes, the freedom of speech covers profanity - yes indeed it does my
little ho...

My advice to you is if you don't like to see words like ****ing crotch
rot, or ****, or think about themes such as licking smegma off the
rotten portion between the balls and an asshole just after some dude
gets done running a marathon in a week old undies, stick to a moderated
and highly text censored forum instead.

Get some ****ing skin thickener, biatch!

Now, feel free to blame all this nasty talk on my ignorance of Public
relations. *grin*

By the way, Rachel - I always got a hard-on for chicks named Rachel - .
I mean, seriously are they ALL hot or WHAT? Wanna ****? Don't tell my
wife!

Feel free to blame that last invitation on my lack of an ethics class.
*grin*

What a twisted world we live in!

Have a nice day.

P.S. have to keep this on topic: please don't move firewood. It *bugs* me.

Old 13-08-2007, 04:11 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

Do yourself a favor:
Coffee enema.

Ann wrote:

"Geoff-consulting forester in the US showed us
all in rec.gardens that he is nothing more than a troll with a filthy
mouth not worth considering whatsoever. He also suffers from last
word syndrome.

Newsgroups have been trimmed and followups have been set. Buh-bye,
now."
Old 13-08-2007, 04:25 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry

We are waiting for some one, any one, with a legitimate question?

"Treelady" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 13, 3:27 am, mhagen wrote:
symplastless wrote:

He has a point, when shall all of you settle down and start talking
about trees? Tree talk is much more interesting than all the back and
forth arguing.

Old 13-08-2007, 04:28 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry,alt.government.abuse

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article .com,
szilagyic wrote:

Massachusetts, you could do better. Don't these Foresters have better
things to do, punch clocks, write reports, do push-up, than to hassle
honest tax payers? This is an egregious waste of tax payer money. Put
them to work.

--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/

Hey, crotch rot, no government flunkies here, unless you are, by the way,
Keslick keeps asking what we are, what are you? Other than a pretentious
prick?