Old 04-12-2007, 12:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default OT - can opener

Something's buggin me. Rather insignificant at first. Now, its becoming a
problem. Its the manual can opener. I regularly open two small cans of dog
food a day, people food less often regurlarly. Use a manual can opener as I
have small acreage on the countertop. In the past 2 years I've tried one
electric initially that couldn't hold most cans including the dog food can
in place to cut the top. So, I figured manual would be best. Some last a
couple of months, some don't work right at the get-go. There are 2 common
failures. The cutting wheel bends at the axis point, AND/OR, the geared
friction wheel fails to turn the can. Less common during those failures is
the handle cover falls off. Also, the closing of the handles goes beyond
its intended closure to maintain hold of the can; twisting and bending the
closing axis point of the handle fulcrum point. The only problem with the
standard all-metal type is that it won't do all can sizes, at least that's
what I've found.

Before I jump to the 15 dollar range for a manual can opener, what are you
folks using? How long has it been used?

--
Dave

Old 04-12-2007, 01:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dioclese wrote:
[...]

We have an Oster electric that works quite well. Been in use about 6
months and works like new. Before, I used to tell my wife that we can
put men on the moon but cannot make a decent can opener

Frank
Old 04-12-2007, 01:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/4/07 8:14 AM, in article ,
"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:

Dioclese wrote:
[...]

I'm getting myself one of the OXO manuals when I spot one next. Don't know
the price but it is a dream to use. Used my cousins to open 10 cans of
cranberry sauce and it was painless on these old hands.

BUT - have you thought about one of the under the cabinet ones? Mine is
ancient and still works great!

Old 04-12-2007, 02:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dioclese" NONE wrote in message ...
[...]

I don't remember what it costs, but I've been using Swingaway manual can
openers for years. I haven't run into a can yet that challenged this tool. I
got mine at the supermarket, but I've also seen them at Bed Bath & Beyond,
Linens & Things, and sometimes hardware stores.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dioclese wrote:

Before I jump to the 15 dollar range for a manual can opener, what are you
folks using? How long has it been used?

I've been using a Swingaway chrome plated w/red vinyl handle covers for
at least 20 years now. It has been skipping lately which is annoying,
especially hard to open small cans like tomato paste. The can slips out
from the grip, and the blade may have become a little dull, but it's so
darn handy.

Many cans have tab openers now. And some have curved bottoms that don't
give you a second chance if you mess up the first try on top. I have to
be careful not to cut myself with some of the contortions I've been
through trying to pry a partially-opened lid up.

Now that you brought it up, I'll get a new one ASAP even though I have
an electric one.

One of my big pet peeves is when the tab breaks on sardines, etc. Then
out come the pliers and whatever works to save the contents. Sometimes
I can still open them with a regular can opener.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Before I jump to the 15 dollar range for a manual can opener, what are
you folks using? How long has it been used?

--
Dave

I don't remember what it costs, but I've been using Swingaway manual can
openers for years. I haven't run into a can yet that challenged this tool.
I got mine at the supermarket, but I've also seen them at Bed Bath &
Beyond, Linens & Things, and sometimes hardware stores.

Swingaway manual can opener here, too. Has rubbery/vinyl type handle
coating. I've had the same one for about 20 years. Once in awhile I dunk it
in the dishpan and scrub the cutter wheels with an old toothbrush or just
plunk it in the dishwasher.......still works like a charm. I think I picked
mine up at Ace Hardware. See link for easy to identify visual aid...
http://www.kitchenkapers.com/5666.html

Val

Old 04-12-2007, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 06:30:08 -0600, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:

[...]

Gone through various brands until I got an Oneida. Has been working
great for three years. It cuts differently than the rest. About
$12.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Val" wrote:

Swingaway manual can opener here, too. Has rubbery/vinyl type handle
coating. I've had the same one for about 20 years. Once in awhile I dunk it
in the dishpan and scrub the cutter wheels with an old toothbrush or just
plunk it in the dishwasher.......still works like a charm. I think I picked
mine up at Ace Hardware. See link for easy to identify visual aid...http://www.kitchenkapers.com/5666.html

Val

I've been using my Swing-A-Way for more than 40 years... it opens cans
perfectly every time, any size, any configuration... I'm sure it will
last another 40 years. I typically wash it by hand but every so
often, about once a month, I remember to put it into the dishwasher,
not a speck of rust on it. I don't remember what I paid for it back
then, probably less than $2. Mine has white vinyl clad handles. I
have a second one packed away with my camping gear in a small back
pack type carrier that I grab whenever I go on a road trip.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Val wrote:
[...]

I had a Swingaway for many years, but it was wall mounted. It could be
turned so it would sit against the wall when not in use -- hence the
name "Swingaway" -- and it could be lifted off the mount for cleaning.
Worked wonderfully. I think we left it at that house when we moved.

Target carries it, as do many other stores.

helco
Old 05-12-2007, 01:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
helco wrote:

Val wrote:
[...]

I got my mother, who has a touch of arthritis, a "One Touch" can open
last year. It works great. If you open a lot of cans you will need to
keep some "AA" batteries on hand. I have one also $20. Just open all
cans in the sink for liquids stuff. I negative part is that when the
batteries get weak it can be a pain to get device off the can. All in
All, I still like it over all other can openers.

http://www.onetouchopener.com/?cid=317906

Black & Decker also makes a hands free Jar Opener. I believe one can get
these items at most department stores.

Hmmm.. I believe dry dog food is better for dogs than can dog food
unless your dog has dental problems and can't chew very well.

Enjoy Life ........ Dan

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

I have an electric Hamilton Beach. I received it as a present so I don't
know the cost. Been using it for 3 years and tossed the Swingway last
month.
It seldom worked with my hands.

BetsyB

Old 05-12-2007, 11:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak said:

Dioclese wrote:

Before I jump to the 15 dollar range for a manual can opener, what
are you folks using? How long has it been used?

I'm getting myself one of the OXO manuals when I spot one next. Don't
know the price but it is a dream to use. Used my cousins to open 10 cans
of cranberry sauce and it was painless on these old hands.

I've got an OXO manual. Been very reliable and comfortable to use.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 06-12-2007, 12:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 12/4/07 8:14 AM, in article
,

Dioclese wrote:
[...]

Live near Wimberley, TX. Closest places are Ace Hardware, Dollar General, a
Feed store, and a grocery store. At Ace, I did find an OXO Goodgrips model
Model# 30081. Has built-in lock that locks when closing, just turn the
handle to open. Price: $14.97. Unconditional warranty. Could not find any
Swingaway mentioned by others. Talking manual can openers. Remainder that
I've found locally are all the junk 1 buck can openers I've all already
tried.

Closest big box store is 17 miles away. Not worthwhile to drive 34 miles
round trip for a can opener.

My dogs are getting skittish as they aren't getting their regular canned dog
food in the a.m. mixed with chew bones on the bottom of the bowl. Think
I'll try the OXO model mentioned for hopes of a good can opener, or, giggles
for my fruitless search at worst.

Dave

Old 06-12-2007, 12:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Oh. I stick with manual can openers for multiple reasons. Other than the
limited countertop space, I have an all-electric home. (except the bbq)
If, per chance, I lose power to the house for more than a few hours, I have
no way of cooking. Chances are the local area stores and eateries will
close during such a dilemma. So, the only reasonable alternative is to eat
out of can. That requires a manual can opener that works.

--
Dave

Old 06-12-2007, 12:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dioclese wrote:
[...]

I loved the OXO I used on Thanksgiving. Just buy it. Make the dogs happy.