Old 19-01-2004, 11:42 PM
shazzbat

Default North America After the Collapse

wrote in message
Heynony wrote:

Certainly he was exaggerating, but 20 acre plots aren't all that large.

Plenty large for self-sufficiency if used properly. It mostly depends on
climate and soil conditions, though.

Unless I can't do math in my head anymore (quite possible): if your
house was offset 80% off center towards the neighbor's lot and his
front porch offset similarly toward yours (not totally unreasonable),
the throw would be possible, I think (I could throw a rock close to 100
yards as a kid and I was far from the best).

Well, lessee...
An acre is 43,560 sq ft, so a 20 acre square would be 871,200 sq ft, or
about 933 feet on a side. Now, why in the hell would I put my house close
to the neighbors when I can easily put it in the middle, 400+ feet away
from them?

Cos then you wouldn't need to lay 400' of drive just to get to your boundary
:-))

Old 19-01-2004, 11:42 PM
North

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 23:58:31 GMT, Alan Connor said:

Like a lot of the folks on this group, he just can't really believe that
the only way of life he's ever known can cease to be.

Almost everyone here is preparing for a temporary breakdown and will be
purely stray, and armed and desperate, when they learn otherwise.

And they aren't taking into account groups like mine, which intend to make
double-damned-sure this civilization stays dead.

Actually Alan, there are groups like mine and several others who will
make damn sure your
group does not survival. And we will use every type of modern weapon
there is execpt nukes. Your
little band of hippys will all be slaughtered in just a matter of
minutes.You
can't hide from a thermal imaging scope and a bunch of highly trained
personal (hence not a bunch of bubba rednecks sucking down beer)

You may have had some fun ****ing with somedumb ass retarded drunk
hunter who wandered onto your
place, but don't steriotype the rest of the hunters/gun
collectors/survivalists, etc... with those drunkened idiots that you
have gotten away with ****ing with

If itsa war you want alan post TEOTWAWKI, then its a war you shall
have. Expect to be invaded be superior forces
and enslaved.
Remember this war will not start untill after TEOTWAWKI.

You had better prepare now alanc of wildwood, because after the crash,
those of you who resist enslavment will be killed. Those that resist
the invasion of wildwood will be killed, no prisoners will be taken,
all of wildwoods wounded will be shot.

Just remember, The axis of hippies will be defeated by the United
Survivalists of America (the USA) And lets not forget our Brit
survivalists friends (The UK or United Killers)

And I simply can't wait for an attack from the wildwood blimp corps, I
have A few wrist rockets that should take out a blimp just fine, and
if they won't do the job, then my 460 magnum should do wonders, and
remember any survivors will be executed on the spot. (we just don't
see a hemp woven wrap around as a military uniform and you will be
shot as a spy under the rules of warfare)

Not that there is anything wrong with technology per se, but the main thrust
behind technology is the need to sell more and more stuff, not any real
benefit to the world, and often quite the contrary.

The other mis-guided (and mis-guiding) faction here are the ones that think
they are going to live like the pioneers.

Wrong. There are far more people and way fewer unspoiled lands than there were
then.

I call these factions the Campers, and the Davey Crocketts.

The people who survive will be gardeners/gatherers and handcrafters. They will
know their plants and how to turn them into clothing and heat and light and food
and paper and medicine and shelter and chemicals.

They will survive only if they leave me and mine alone, if not then
you will have your war.

GENERAL AC {Of the Wildwood defence force}

Old 20-01-2004, 01:41 AM
Peter H

Condor Chef wrote:

What people forget is that a rock is not a football, or a baseball, or a
grenade.

Footballs & baseballs have already been covered by this thread & even by
professional throwers found quite wanting. And, should you be able to
throw a hand grenade 100 yards or better, it would explode before
landing, pretty well obviating the reason for throwing one in the first
place. It's simply not a feasible feat. Any rock you might throw (by
hand, but I most seriously doubt it) 100 yards would not be an effective
weapon.

Pete H

--
We are all of one nation, all of one creed
We are all out of nature, all of one seed

Old 20-01-2004, 01:42 AM
Noah Simoneaux

On 19 Jan 2004 18:45:25 GMT, (Frank White) wrote:

(snip)
However, although there are some changes taking place there -
a huge bulge developing at the bottom of Yellowstone Lake, the
ground in some areas of the park becoming so hot it can't be
walked on - there is nothing to suggest immediate danger.

Of course, that's "immediate" in the geological sense, right?

Old 20-01-2004, 01:42 AM
Peter H

Alan Connor wrote:

Now there's an idea. Whether or not man is causing "global
warming", man could correct it. Man could also probably fix
the "nuclear winter" by vaporizing an appropriate volume
of ocean with nukes.

That's just brilliant.

AC

Actually, the same basic idea, using mirrors in orbit to melt ice
sheets, was proposed nearly 60 years ago. A very few years later,
mirrors on the moon were used in a sci-fi story as weapons of mass
destruction. In terms of physics, there's not a single reason why eather
plan wouldn't work.

Pete H

Old 20-01-2004, 01:43 AM
Peter H

Alan Connor wrote:

The abuse and over-indulgence

an emotion-based judement which you do not support with data

in technology is a big part of what's CAUSING

This theme has been around for centuries.

Recycling is a perfect example of the folly of most technological 'solutions'.

Relatively few "technological solutions" involve recycling in any form.

It actually does more

immediate

harm to the environment than throwing things in a

landfill and making new stuff.

Over a lengthy term, the two are roughly equivalent. Your statement
assumes a steady supply of raw materials and a steady state of available
energy which in many cases is not the case. It also assumes a stable
supply of "away" to throw things into. One of the first lessons of the
first Earth Day in 1970 - were you with us then? - was that we could not
longer throw things "away," since in reality there is no such place.

Pete H

Old 20-01-2004, 02:06 AM
Noah Simoneaux

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:28:33 GMT, Alan Connor wrote:

(snip)
Recycling is a perfect example of the folly of most technological 'solutions'.

It actually does more harm to the environment than throwing things in a

landfill and making new stuff.

Prove it. Don't just claim it as the truth.

That's why recycled paper costs more than regular paper, even with subsidies.

Ah, pretending it's ALREADY been proven. Good logic there.
Old 20-01-2004, 02:12 AM
Noah Simoneaux

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 06:28:34 GMT, Alan Connor wrote:

(snip)
CO in an open area is NEVER lethal. Do your homework and quit telling
falsehoods.

CO in an open area is also hard to control. How do you control the concentration
enough to make sure it's effective? Must be magic.

To kill someone with CO they pretty much have to breathe a 100% mixture
for an extended period of time.

And you've verified this how?
Old 20-01-2004, 02:32 AM
Noah Simoneaux

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 18:41:16 -0500, North wrote:

(piggybacking)
GENERAL AC {Of the Wildwood defence force}

Why do idiots like this with delusions of grandeur ALWAYS appoint themselves as
either Colonels or Generals? :/