Old 20-01-2004, 03:02 AM
Robert Sturgeon

Default North America After the Collapse

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 16:16:51 -0500, ""
wrote:

"Robert Sturgeon" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 08:18:27 -0500, ""
wrote:

"Heynony" wrote in message
KB9WFK wrote:

responding to "your neighbor will be able to hit your house with a
thrown rock from their front porch"

you are saying that after the collapse, my neighbors biceps are
going to mutate into such freakishly large proportions that they will
be able to throw rocks 20 acres?

Certainly he was exaggerating, but 20 acre plots aren't all that large.
Unless I can't do math in my head anymore (quite possible): if your
house was offset 80% off center towards the neighbor's lot and his
front porch offset similarly toward yours (not totally unreasonable),
the throw would be possible, I think (I could throw a rock close to 100
yards as a kid and I was far from the best). The concept is not hugely
off. From center to center, probably more on point, it would take a
great tee shot rather than a thrown rock.

You could throw a rock "almost" a hundred yards - as a kid? Correct me if
I'm wrong but I don't think the best quarterbacks in the NFL can throw

the
entire length of a football field.

A rock is more like a baseball than a football. A major
league outfielder can throw a baseball 100 yards. In my
younger days, so could I.

Okay, a rock then. 325 feet from home plate is the shortest distance
permissible by major-league standards to the fence. I doubt there are many
that can throw anything from that distance and reach homeplate. Jose
Guillen, had one of strongest arms in baseball and one night he managed a
375' (125 yard) throw, from warning track to homeplate. This is from an
extraordinary guy. And you could almost match him when you were a kid?

As a young man, I could throw a baseball 100 yards. It
isn't a superhuman feat. Have you ever thrown a baseball?
Are you 6'3 and WELL muscled? I was.

--
Robert Sturgeon,
proud member of the vast right wing conspiracy

Old 20-01-2004, 03:36 AM
Alan Connor

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:25:02 -0500, Peter H wrote:

Condor Chef wrote:

What people forget is that a rock is not a football, or a baseball, or a
grenade.

Footballs & baseballs have already been covered by this thread & even by
professional throwers found quite wanting. And, should you be able to
throw a hand grenade 100 yards or better, it would explode before
landing, pretty well obviating the reason for throwing one in the first
place. It's simply not a feasible feat. Any rock you might throw (by
hand, but I most seriously doubt it) 100 yards would not be an effective
weapon.

Someone around here needs to look up "figure of speech".

*I* certainly didn't even imply that anyone would try to throw a rock for
an 1/8 of a mile as a weapon.

AC

Old 20-01-2004, 06:32 AM
Noah Simoneaux

On 2004-01-20, Noah Simoneaux wrote:
On 19 Jan 2004 20:41:11 GMT,
wrote:
Well, lessee...
An acre is 43,560 sq ft, so a 20 acre square would be 871,200 sq ft, or
about 933 feet on a side. Now, why in the hell would I put my house close
to the neighbors when I can easily put it in the middle, 400+ feet away
from them?

I was wondering the same thing. My neighbor(on the other piece of
property I own) built his house about 100 feet from my fence on his
10 acres. My 10 acres is mostly sloping, with the only fairly level
piece being next to that same fence, so we're about like neighbors
in the suburbs there. The neighbor's 10 acres is mostly level, so
they could have built their house anywhere on it.

I bet that he was quoted an enormous fee to extend the water and
electric lines any further than near your fence.

Nah, can't be that. His first residence on his property was a mobile home, which
he had set up on the far side of his property. To build the house he had to
extend the driveway, power lines, and water lines almost the entire distance
across his property. :/

In my case, when I hooked up to the rural water system I saved close to $1,000 by
avoiding the need to make another road cut to get to the water main on
the other side of the road (they instead tee'ed off from behind my
grandmother's water meter on my side of the road, and put my water
meter right beside hers). Then I had the fun of running the actual
water line from the water meter to my home (oh joy, slogging manual
labor with shovel).

Living here in the Ozarks I didn't even think about trying to dig my 900+ feet
of water line by hand. I bet the rocks here even wear out backhoes and trenchers
faster.

Old 20-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Bill Dearth

Alan/Mabu/GunKid will load up their Main Battle Wheelbarrows with
laser sighted Lorcin .380s, DingDongs and Twinkies, a couple dogeared
and stained copies of Hustlers Beaver Hunt Specials and shortly be run
over by a middle aged long haired Vietnam vet in a Dodge Ram pickup
Bugging Out, who will only look in the rear view mirror to see what
caused that gyser of shit and the muffled thump.

Gunner, that last line made me spray my Mt Dew on my monitor, you owe me.
Well, I'll let it go, best laugh I've had today.

Old 20-01-2004, 12:12 PM

wrote:

"Heynony" wrote in message
KB9WFK wrote:

[...]

I am 6'2" and was considered well defined in my day and still am. I still
think you are having exaggerated memories though. Oh well, enjoy them.

Old 20-01-2004, 12:13 PM

ink.net...

Condor Chef wrote:

What people forget is that a rock is not a football, or a baseball, or a
grenade.

Footballs & baseballs have already been covered by this thread & even by
professional throwers found quite wanting. And, should you be able to
throw a hand grenade 100 yards or better, it would explode before
landing, pretty well obviating the reason for throwing one in the first
place. It's simply not a feasible feat. Any rock you might throw (by
hand, but I most seriously doubt it) 100 yards would not be an effective
weapon.

Someone around here needs to look up "figure of speech".

*I* certainly didn't even imply that anyone would try to throw a rock for
an 1/8 of a mile as a weapon.

No, but now you've implied that there are 800 yards to a mile.

Old 20-01-2004, 04:02 PM
Starlord

"Vietnam vet in a Dodge Ram pickup
Bugging Out, who will only look in the rear view mirror to see what
caused that gyser of shit and the muffled thump."

Na, we'll be driving 71 FORD 250's paited caution yellow powered by 390 engines
and have our scopes in the back.

But realy, living out here in the Mojave Desert I could just run everyone else
out of the trailer park and set up Ft.Mojave in it.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Ad World
http://adworld.netfirms.com

"Bill Dearth" wrote in message
Alan/Mabu/GunKid will load up their Main Battle Wheelbarrows with
laser sighted Lorcin .380s, DingDongs and Twinkies, a couple dogeared
and stained copies of Hustlers Beaver Hunt Specials and shortly be run
over by a middle aged long haired Vietnam vet in a Dodge Ram pickup
Bugging Out, who will only look in the rear view mirror to see what
caused that gyser of shit and the muffled thump.

---

Old 20-01-2004, 05:02 PM
Jonathan Ball

wrote:

"Heynony" wrote in message

KB9WFK wrote:

[...]

I am not 6'3" - more like 5'6" - but I was fairly
well-muscled - about 150 lb; max bench press of 255 lb;
one-handed clean-and-jerk of 95 lb; 45' puts with a 12
lb shot - and the best thrown I could manage was about
93-94 yards. I lived across the street during this
time from Granada Hills High School in the San Fernando
Valley, John Elway's high school (saw him play baseball
there one afternoon), and I went over to the football
field specifically to see how far I could throw a
baseball. I had always imagined I had a good arm, and
I wanted to know just how good. I'd stand in one end
zone, run towards the goal line, and heave it as hard
as I could toward the other end zone. The best I could
get was a couple or three yards inside the far 10 yard
line, and other than "toward the far end zone", I had
no idea where the thing was going.

Damn, I knew this theme was something I had seen before
in misc.rural (where I'm following the thread), and it
didn't take me long to find it. It was that FAT ****
Boob Adkins, bragging that he once could throw a
football over 70 yards, and a softball - not a baseball
- 100 yards or more. He also claimed he could throw a
14+ ounce grenade 75 yards or more, "on a straight
line", when he was in the army. What a ****ing
shit-4-braincell liar. You can't read Boob's post
directly, because the GUTLESS COWARD always posts using
x-no-archive, but you can read it in my reply to it:
http://tinyurl.com/2thfp

Old 20-01-2004, 05:42 PM
Robert Sturgeon

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:57:47 GMT, Jonathan Ball
wrote:

(snips)

Damn, I knew this theme was something I had seen before
in misc.rural (where I'm following the thread), and it
didn't take me long to find it. It was that FAT ****
Boob Adkins, bragging that he once could throw a
football over 70 yards, and a softball - not a baseball
- 100 yards or more.

I could throw a softball 60 yards or so. A baseball is a
MUCH better missile than a softball. Unfortunately, I don't
have a WayBack machine. I really don't understand why
throwing a baseball 100 yards is such a big deal. Any good
major league outfielder can throw the ball from the foul
line fence to home plate on the fly. They don't do it
because the accuracy tends to fall way off, so they throw to
the cutoff man who can then throw accurately in to home
plate, or to another base if that makes more sense.
Throwing the ball all the way in from the foul line fence is
seldom a Good Idea, but it isn't an impossible feat, either.
Heck, the catcher throws the ball 40 yards with 1 step from
a crouch.

The difference between a major leaguer and an amateur isn't
strength, it's skill.

(rest snipped)

Old 20-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Jonathan Ball

Robert Sturgeon wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:57:47 GMT, Jonathan Ball
wrote:

(snips)

Damn, I knew this theme was something I had seen before
in misc.rural (where I'm following the thread), and it
didn't take me long to find it. It was that FAT ****
Boob Adkins, bragging that he once could throw a
football over 70 yards, and a softball - not a baseball
- 100 yards or more.

I could throw a softball 60 yards or so. A baseball is a
MUCH better missile than a softball. Unfortunately, I don't
have a WayBack machine. I really don't understand why
throwing a baseball 100 yards is such a big deal.

It wasn't a big deal, in the original post; somehow, as
things have a way of doing in usenet, it evolved into a
big deal. Also, because usenet attracts boastful liars
like Boob Adkins, whose absurd claims can't be
verified, these things take on a life of their own.

Old 20-01-2004, 08:05 PM
Noah Simoneaux

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 00:28:29 GMT, Alan Connor wrote:
(snip)
(your neighbor will be able to hit your house with a thrown rock from their
front porch)

Irrelevant. My neighbors won't be throwing rocks my way. They'll be watching for
Amazon warriors(and their little runt sidekicks) trying to put birth-control
drugs into our wells.

(snip)
If you HAVE to run, then you had better know your wild edible plants, of
which there are more than 1800 species in North America, because trapping
and hunting will SERIOUSLY slow you down...

Sounds amazingly like GUNkid. Imagine that. Two different internet putzes with
delusions of adequacy. :/