Old 19-01-2004, 05:21 PM
Robert Sturgeon

Default North America After the Collapse

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 08:18:27 -0500, ""
wrote:

"Heynony" wrote in message
KB9WFK wrote:

responding to "your neighbor will be able to hit your house with a
thrown rock from their front porch"

you are saying that after the collapse, my neighbors biceps are
going to mutate into such freakishly large proportions that they will
be able to throw rocks 20 acres?

Certainly he was exaggerating, but 20 acre plots aren't all that large.
Unless I can't do math in my head anymore (quite possible): if your
house was offset 80% off center towards the neighbor's lot and his
front porch offset similarly toward yours (not totally unreasonable),
the throw would be possible, I think (I could throw a rock close to 100
yards as a kid and I was far from the best). The concept is not hugely
off. From center to center, probably more on point, it would take a
great tee shot rather than a thrown rock.

You could throw a rock "almost" a hundred yards - as a kid? Correct me if
I'm wrong but I don't think the best quarterbacks in the NFL can throw the
entire length of a football field.

A rock is more like a baseball than a football. A major
league outfielder can throw a baseball 100 yards. In my
younger days, so could I.

--
Robert Sturgeon,
proud member of the vast right wing conspiracy
Old 19-01-2004, 08:02 PM
Nick Danger

Ross wrote:
I asked in an earlier post which disaster was under discussion here,
because there are a few possibilities.

1. Global warming-which is happening now.

Whether or not this is caused by humans (or even happening)
is not certain. The earth has seen global climate change
many times in the past that had nothing to do with man.

2. Nuclear winter which could happen if the wrong people press
the button, or terrorists somehow- hopefully not for many years.

Now there's an idea. Whether or not man is causing "global
warming", man could correct it. Man could also probably fix
the "nuclear winter" by vaporizing an appropriate volume
of ocean with nukes.

3. Fossil fuels used up. Oil production is expected to peak in about 10
years, which will bring prices up. No big deal, but what is next?
In 250 years humans will use up all the fossil fuels that took 5 billion
years to create. I don't remember god telling us we could do that?

Nuclear power. Since you seem to have a direct line to God,
did God say we could or couldn't use our God-given brains
to develop nuclear power?

4. Overpopulation and diminishing food supply- But hopefully this
can be managed somehow.

Once again, nukes... the answer to all our problems. I've
seen the future, and it glows.

Old 19-01-2004, 10:05 PM
Peter H

wrote:

"Heynony" wrote in message

Certainly he was exaggerating, but 20 acre plots aren't all that large.

You could throw a rock "almost" a hundred yards - as a kid? Correct me if
I'm wrong but I don't think the best quarterbacks in the NFL can throw the
entire length of a football field.

Assuming a perfect square, 20 acres would be 312 yards on a side. The
very best NFL quarterbacks can, under duress, throw 50-55 yards with a
modicum of accuracy. An outfielder in baseball is expected to only reach
1st, 2nd, or 3rd base with a deep throw (40-50 yards) & then the
accuracy will be questionable at best (it's usually not even close).

Pete H

--
We are all of one nation, all of one creed
We are all out of nature, all of one seed

Old 19-01-2004, 10:18 PM
Peter H

Nick Danger wrote:

I've
seen the future, and it glows.

Please stay on the yellow rubber line.......

Welcome to the future; it's just starting now.

Thank you.

Pete H aka The Bad Bozo

Old 19-01-2004, 10:26 PM

Heynony wrote:

Certainly he was exaggerating, but 20 acre plots aren't all that large.

Plenty large for self-sufficiency if used properly. It mostly depends on
climate and soil conditions, though.

Unless I can't do math in my head anymore (quite possible): if your
house was offset 80% off center towards the neighbor's lot and his
front porch offset similarly toward yours (not totally unreasonable),
the throw would be possible, I think (I could throw a rock close to 100
yards as a kid and I was far from the best).

Well, lessee...
An acre is 43,560 sq ft, so a 20 acre square would be 871,200 sq ft, or
about 933 feet on a side. Now, why in the hell would I put my house close
to the neighbors when I can easily put it in the middle, 400+ feet away
from them?

--
Joe Bramblett, KD5NRH

Old 19-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Condor Chef

"Peter H" wrote in message

"Heynony" wrote in message

Certainly he was exaggerating, but 20 acre plots aren't all that large.

You could throw a rock "almost" a hundred yards - as a kid? Correct me if
I'm wrong but I don't think the best quarterbacks in the NFL can throw

the
entire length of a football field.

Assuming a perfect square, 20 acres would be 312 yards on a side. The
very best NFL quarterbacks can, under duress, throw 50-55 yards with a
modicum of accuracy. An outfielder in baseball is expected to only reach
1st, 2nd, or 3rd base with a deep throw (40-50 yards) & then the
accuracy will be questionable at best (it's usually not even close).

What people forget is that a rock is not a football, or a baseball, or a
grenade. A baseball can be thrown much further than a whiffle ball,
a rock further than a baseball, and, unless the rock is smooth and
symmetrical and of the same size and weight, a grenade further than
a rock.

CC

Old 19-01-2004, 11:20 PM

news
wrote:

"Heynony" wrote in message
KB9WFK wrote:

[...]

Okay, a rock then. 325 feet from home plate is the shortest distance
permissible by major-league standards to the fence. I doubt there are many
that can throw anything from that distance and reach homeplate. Jose
Guillen, had one of strongest arms in baseball and one night he managed a
375' (125 yard) throw, from warning track to homeplate. This is from an
extraordinary guy. And you could almost match him when you were a kid?

Old 19-01-2004, 11:33 PM
Bob G

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:28:34 GMT, Alan Connor wrote:

That's funny. I remember the Internet in the Pacific Northwest being down
for a half a day a while back because some farmer got careless with a backhoe.

It is still dependent on microwave links and fiber-optic cables are more
vulnerable than copper ones.

A few teams of saboteurs could bring down the Internet right now, and never
be caught.

They'd just have to sever T1 lines over and over again, and it isn't possible
to patrol the hundreds of thousands of miles of them...

AC

Geez, Alan

Chuckle, you are funny. Thanks, I needed the laugh.

Bob