Old 16-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Vox Humana

"Rod & Betty Jo" wrote in message

"Ann" wrote in message
"Doug Kanter" expounded:
When I bought my house the next door neighbors basically had a
junkyard in their backyard. Dead washers, dryers, three rusting tin
sheds, a couple junk trucks, all kinds of tires, etc. Oh well. I
loved my house. They've moved on, new people live there now, they've
cleaned it up, life goes on. It's amazing what you can live with when
it really doesn't affect your basic life functions, like eating,
drinking, etc. Of course I'd rather not look at junk, but I'm not
paying their taxes or their mortgage. It's basically none of my
business.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a

I've had the same thing (more than once).....luckily they come and go and

built a fenceG.....Incidentally 5 years ago when I became very ill, life
got just a little sidetracked as I nearly died with a very long
recuperation.... I had no neighbors complaining about "my mess"......Rod

When my neighbors were unable to care for their lawn, I did it for them
without any discussion. That was a win-win situation.

Old 16-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Vox Humana

"Bourne Identity" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 23:47:59 GMT, "Vox Humana"

opined:

How would you have felt if you needed to sell your house while the

neighbors
had a virtual junkyard? I don't mean WANT to sell, but NEED to sell.

What
if, due to the trashy neighbors, you found that there were few people
interested in looking let alone making an offer? The offers you do get

are
low-balls. That is a situation where it does become your business

because
the junk reduces your property value or makes your house impossible to

sell.

People are always okay and tolerant till it effects them, or their hot

button
issue is raised. I live in a 31 home development. Homes in here go from

450. Out of respect for one another, we maintain the front of our homes.

Mine,
of course, is the most wild, but its got order in the chaos. However,

when I
learned one of our neighbors down the cul-de-sac was selling their home, I

went
out and trimmed out all the dead flowers from the Gaura lindheimerii,

pulled out
all the dead larkspur stalks, etc. I put down mulch to neaten things up.
Rather civil.

I assure you that if a huge mess was happening in our little neighborhood

it
would **** me off. My one neighbor has two trailers in his driveway,

which is a
four car driveway. One has a barrel BBQ pit thing, the other is for

hauling
stuff. His truck sticks out onto the sidewalk. People reported it and

those
things are now gone and we can walk down the street again. Yay.

So, rest assured, people "say" it doesn't bother them, or it's none of

their
business, but when it effects them they squeal as loud as everyone else.

I agree. If you notice that Ann, who claims that nothing is any of her
business, started by lamenting the mess in her neighbor's yard. There is a
difference between "it's none of my business" and having an opinion about
something.

I think you also hit on the essence of this problem. Maintaining the
exterior of your home at approximately the same level as your neighbors is a
simple courtesy. I don't expect people to recreate Longwood Gardens, but it
doesn't cost anything to pick up your trash and to pull a few weeds. I
think that people who park across the sidewalk, for example, are at best
selfish, and at worst just giving everyone the finger.

Old 16-06-2005, 03:37 PM
Vox Humana

"Natty Dread" wrote in message
m...

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
. ..

snippage

As for moving next to you, it would be the last thing I would ever
consider.
I'm not worried about the homes of others. I just don't want
inconsiderate
slobs, people operating meth labs, or acid-rock band rehearsals in my
neighborhood. I would be perfectly content if these things occurred in
your
neighborhood because even slobs and drug deals have to live somewhere. I
suspect that you would be a hideous neighbor, bitching about everything
bothered you. I would laugh if a pig farm moved next to you. Remember,
you
don't pay the mortgage or taxes so the stench would be none of your
business. One man's stench is another's junk yard. Enjoy.

Whoa, where do you get that she's a "hideous" neighbor"? "Even slobs and
drug dealers have to live somewhere" -- WTF? Everything she's written

here
suggests exactly the opposite -- live and let live without getting in
someone else's business. No offense, but from my perspective as someone
just reading this thread, you have degenerated into histrionic flaming for
no reason.

Stick around and you will understand. Sister Theresa, she ain't.

Old 16-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Toni

Found a very interesting webpage regarding various "Green Laws" enacted
around the US...

http://www.greenlaws.lsu.edu/greenlaws.html

And another note on my offending neighbor- since originally posting I have
twice again seen trucks pull up and someone snap a photo of the remaining
stump.
Hmmmm...

--
Toni
South Florida USA

Old 16-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Philip Lewis

William Wagner writes:
No rusting junk about here just many bored barking dogs.

worse than junk in my opinion... you can look away/go inside to get
away from junk... barking will penetrate the walls.
(ok.. so you can use earplugs... but that's more excessive i think)

sigh..

--
be safe.
flip

Old 16-06-2005, 08:15 PM
Philip Lewis

"Doug Kanter" writes:
Don't you have an animal control resource, and local ordnances which address
barking dogs?

I imagine that there are... but i'd want to take the step of talking
to the neighbor first--- and for me, that would mean keeping an
infraction diary so i can point out specific instances so i can answer
questions of "when?!" --- which comes down to too much work at this
level of annoyance. I was mostly commiserating with Mr Wagner.

All in all, I think It bothers my wife more than it does me... but
even I was upset over the the various 3-6 am extended ( 10 minutes)
barking sessions. (the neighbor works odd hours). Usually by morning
I have better things to do than track the neighbor down.

It hasn't been quite as bad lately (perhaps because it's been winter,
and all the windows were shut making it less noticeable.) She also
lost a dog within the last year or so, and though that dog didn't
start the barking usually, the dogs fed off each other's barking
and the sessions would last longer.

For some reason, sound pollution seems to me to be more egregious an
offense than clutter and/or weeds...

I *have* suggested to her that 7:30am might be a little early for
yardwork involving power lawn tools, though.... mostly because i was
leaving for work, and I knew my wife was still sleeping.

I try to do most of my gardening with hand tools.
Anyone have good push mower tune up tips? (partially rhetorical
question, the mower is in reasonable shape now... and i havn't done my
part by googling first.... just trying to bring the topic back to
gardens.

There is just something soothing about the reel mower whirr.
I've considered starting a company to do "quiet" gardening using hand
or silent electric tools. wondering if it would go over, or be
prohibitively expensive.

Old 16-06-2005, 08:20 PM
Hound Dog

"Toni" wrote in message
Found a very interesting webpage regarding various "Green Laws" enacted
around the US...

http://www.greenlaws.lsu.edu/greenlaws.html

And another note on my offending neighbor- since originally posting I have
twice again seen trucks pull up and someone snap a photo of the remaining
stump.
Hmmmm...

What type of trucks?

May have been private contractors there to make a bid on removing the tree
trunk.

Old 17-06-2005, 01:49 AM
Ann

"Vox Humana" expounded:

I agree. If you notice that Ann, who claims that nothing is any of her
business, started by lamenting the mess in her neighbor's yard. There is a
difference between "it's none of my business" and having an opi

I guess reading comprehension isn't your forte. I wasn't lamenting a
thing, I stated facts, and also told you I still bought the house.
But do continue misconstruing, it's getting pretty amusing.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 17-06-2005, 01:50 AM
Ann

"Natty Dread" expounded:

Whoa, where do you get that she's a "hideous" neighbor"? "Even slobs and
drug dealers have to live somewhere" -- WTF? Everything she's written here
suggests exactly the opposite -- live and let live without getting in
someone else's business. No offense, but from my perspective as someone
just reading this thread, you have degenerated into histrionic flaming for
no reason.

She's reading into me what lives in her.

Old 17-06-2005, 01:54 AM
Ann

"Doug Kanter" expounded:

Well....sounds like it's all a matter of individual opinion, then.

Yes, it is. My opinion is I mind my own business (I'm not telling you
to mind yours, I'm just saying what I feel, and how I live). I've
said throughout this thread I wouldn't live in a managed area, that
seems to drive some people to hysterics. So what? So I don't want to
live like that. Others do. Whatever.

This all started over cutting down trees. I live in a semi-rural
area, there just aren't bylaws against cutting down trees. Maybe
someday there will be, when more and more people build up the area.
I'll be gone to Maine by then.
Old 17-06-2005, 02:44 AM
Vox Humana

"Ann" wrote in message
"Vox Humana" expounded:

I agree. If you notice that Ann, who claims that nothing is any of her
business, started by lamenting the mess in her neighbor's yard. There is

difference between "it's none of my business" and having an opi

I guess reading comprehension isn't your forte. I wasn't lamenting a
thing, I stated facts, and also told you I still bought the house.
But do continue misconstruing, it's getting pretty amusing.

In case you missed this recently I will repost as I see no reason to
reinvent the wheel.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...59adc334?hl=en

"Oh my god, I haven't been on here for years. I scan down, open a post and
its Ann from Massachusetts.
It must be 4 or 5 years since I stopped by here and you are still at it,
being a nasty, know it all bitch.
I would have thought a house would have fallen on you by now. Must be a very
sad life you have lead."

I would just add that for someone who claims that nothing is any of her
business, you sure have a way of getting into everyone's business. Oh, and
look out for falling houses, it's tornado season.

Old 17-06-2005, 03:14 AM
Doug Kanter

"Ann" wrote in message
"Doug Kanter" expounded:

Well....sounds like it's all a matter of individual opinion, then.

Yes, it is. My opinion is I mind my own business (I'm not telling you
to mind yours, I'm just saying what I feel, and how I live). I've
said throughout this thread I wouldn't live in a managed area, that
seems to drive some people to hysterics. So what? So I don't want to
live like that. Others do. Whatever.

Well, I think it's clear that if someone wants to cut down a tree because
they want more sun, or they just hate raking, that's one thing. But, cutting
one down because you THINK it's diseased, when in fact it's totally normal
and healthy - that's just plain stupid. Since most people want to see some
indication of expertise before they accept advise, I think it's a good idea
for townships to offer that advise.

What if the permit is free, but requires a 5 minute look at the tree and a 5
minute talk with the property owner, just to be sure they're not cutting it
down for stupid reasons? Would that be OK with you?

[IMG] code is On

Composting and neighbors LoneEarth Gardening 13 27-06-2003 11:56 PM
Gophers! Aargh! amjordan Texas 5 27-06-2003 05:32 PM
Gophers! Aargh! amjordan Texas 0 25-06-2003 06:38 AM
Peeing on Neighbors Yard BiG_Orange Gardening 47 02-06-2003 03:44 PM
Aargh! Blasted Orchids! Diana Kulaga Orchids 4 08-03-2003 09:25 PM