Old 29-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Fox's aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhh

"Druss" wrote in message
"Jason Pope" wrote in message

I never said pacemaker! Some people are arrythmic and a shock could stop
the heart.

snip

A surprisingly large number of people die from licking the electrodes of
batteries every year, basically a shock of the order of milli amps and/or
milli volts is actually enough to kill, the timing just needs to be

precise,
and the person somewhat unlucky.

How large, approximately, is this number of fatalities which surprises you?
I doubt if the current which passes between two neighbouring points on the
tongue will do any harm worth mentioning. The real damage is done when a
substantial current passes throught the heart muscle.

Franz

Old 29-10-2003, 09:03 PM
Franz Heymann

"Anthony" wrote in message
Bloody hell Franz. buggered that up!!!!
Had to go back to see who had said what.
Do us a favour, make sure you don't snip too much, and mess with the
headers.
Cheers mate.
:-)

Yes. My apologies. I have already set the record straight in another post.

Don't top post.

Franz

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Jason Pope" wrote in message
Franz Heymann wrote:
"Druss" wrote in message

"Jason Pope" wrote in message

I never said pacemaker! Some people are arrythmic and a shock could

stop
the heart.

snip

A surprisingly large number of people die from licking the

electrodes
of
batteries every year, basically a shock of the order of milli amps

and/or
milli volts is actually enough to kill, the timing just needs to be

precise,

and the person somewhat unlucky.

And, more importantly, the current path has to pass through the

heart
if it
is to affect the beating of the heart muscle.

This is the second time you have indicated that your knowledge of
electricity is negligible.

Franz

Old 29-10-2003, 09:23 PM
martin

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 20:47:25 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Anthony" wrote in message
Bloody hell Franz. buggered that up!!!!
Had to go back to see who had said what.
Do us a favour, make sure you don't snip too much, and mess with the
headers.
Cheers mate.
:-)

Yes. My apologies. I have already set the record straight in another post.

Don't top post.

Franz

and please snip ;-)
--
Martin
Old 30-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Druss

"Jason Pope" wrote in message
Victoria Clare wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in
. 1:

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:32:49 +0000, Victoria Clare wrote:

I have some irregular paving, over which people might trip.

Ah now you have left a hazard unrepaired/marked/fenced off. You have a
duty of care to *everyone* who visits your property. If someone did
trip on that paving and break a leg/ankle WHY they *do* have a claim
against you.

Indeed. My point was that the risk is very unlikely. (The paving is in

the
back garden, well out of everyone's way but mine)

Victoria

Risk is irrelevent!

Somebody needs to tell the HSE, since they seem to believe that Risk is the
probability the a hazard would be realised, and is thus one of the most
important considerations when judging a hazard.
Duncan

Old 30-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Druss

"Jason Pope" wrote in message
Victoria Clare wrote:
Jason Pope wrote in news:3F9E24EF.1090002
@virgin.net:

It is illegal to fit anything, security wise, in your front/back
garden that could injure another person who is on the property!
Harsh I know, but that is definately the case!

********.

My greenhouse could injure someone. My pond could injure someone. I
have a patio raised 3 feet above a concrete surface: that could
injure someone. I have some irregular paving, over which people might
trip.

I said security wise!

Is your greenhouse a security device? Has your pond been put in to
prevent burglars?

I said it is illegal to fit anything to your outer walls that might harm
a person, and that is the truth of the matter!

Ask down your local police station!

Jason

Unless suitable warning signs are placed around the hazard, i.e. If you
choose to put barbed wire on a fence, and then a sign stating that the top
of the fence has barbed wire on it you can, to an extent cover yourself by
law. This occured in a court case not so very long ago, someone was trying
to sue since he cut himself trying to climb a wall, a wall he had no right
to climb, and the defendant was cleared because there were plenty of warning
signs to let any potential intruder know the hazard he was facing.
Duncan

Old 30-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Druss

Franz Heymann wrote:
"Druss" wrote in message

"Jason Pope" wrote in message

I never said pacemaker! Some people are arrythmic and a shock could

stop
the heart.

snip

A surprisingly large number of people die from licking the electrodes of
batteries every year, basically a shock of the order of milli amps

and/or
milli volts is actually enough to kill, the timing just needs to be

precise,

and the person somewhat unlucky.

And, more importantly, the current path has to pass through the heart

if it
is to affect the beating of the heart muscle.

Franz

So you're saying nobody could ever possibly die from licking the electrodes
of a battery, since the current would be confined to the tongue. Never mind
some people simply have to die to learn.
Duncan

Old 30-10-2003, 05:33 PM
Franz Heymann

"Druss" wrote in message
Franz Heymann wrote:
"Druss" wrote in message

"Jason Pope" wrote in message

[...]

You have attempted and failed to put words into my mouth. Read carefully
*all* I said and then comment, if indeed you have ant valid comment to make.

I would also appreciate a short list of a few of the people who have died
through licking the electrodes of a battery.

Franz

Old 31-10-2003, 08:03 AM
Jason Pope

Druss wrote:
"Jason Pope" wrote in message

Victoria Clare wrote:
[...]

Not everyone can read Duncan, warning signs only reducethe amount of
compensation, not the ability in the first place to sue.

Cheers

Jason

--
Check out my ebay auctions for Passifora caerulea and edulis seeds and
Morning Glory (Star of Yelta) seeds.

Old 02-11-2003, 01:02 PM
Chris

Chris wrote in message
Please please help !!!!!!!!!!!

Yes our urban fox is a very sweet creature BUT NOT IN MY GARDEN
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are now over run with the buggers , well OK we have a regular 3 that I
know of, and they are wrecking the place not to mention the ghastly smell

How do I get rid of them or move them on , I have tried all the regular

off the shelf stuff and they just laugh it off.

Its getting to the point where I wait by the back door and chase them off

when I see them , but one cant do that all night. They are even getting
cheeky enough to just casually walk off now when I shout at them , where as
they use to scarper at first.

They just dig everything new I plant or grow up after just a few days the

longest was a week , even if I try to fence it off it only lasts a few days
or a week before the whole lots strewn round the lawn along with the plants.
Then theres the lawn that keeps getting dug up , but we wont go there :-(

Why me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Any thoughts , is it just my garden they like or do they trash everyones

??????

Any help would be useful but I have tried all the normal stuff. It needs

to be "RADICAL" I feel.

Cheers
Chris

Well what can I say , who would have thought posting such a small thing as
"fox's in my garden what can I do" would have caused such a rumpus , from
physics lessons through to being sued by burglars.
I must admit you have all made the last 7 days extremely entertaining with
some good discussions.

As for the problem ........... well its seems like the lecy fence idea is
the best solution also its not permanent , which means I can install it,
get them to live else where and then remove it later , and if they come back
I just have to put it back up again. Its also nice and humane and wont hurt
them , well unless they are wearing a pace maker or have a dicky heart.
:-)))) so that will please the animal lovers.
Do you think fox's can sue ??? :-)

Cheers everybody

Chris

Old 02-11-2003, 07:03 PM
David Hill

And no mention of some form of Dogless Urban Fox Hunt.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 02-11-2003, 08:42 PM
martin

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 18:46:58 -0000, "David Hill"
wrote:

And no mention of some form of Dogless Urban Fox Hunt.

the good old fashioned man hunt? :-)
--
Martin
Old 03-11-2003, 01:02 AM
oldmolly

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
Because in English law you have a duty of care towards a trespasser.

Which is why my fence has a sign on it warning that it is an electric
fence.
The electric fence is the *least* of a trespasser's worries on my land.

Old 03-11-2003, 01:02 AM
oldmolly

"Jason Pope" wrote in message

That might be the case, but it doesn't negate that having an electric
fence in your garden is illegal.

Don't be silly. It is *not* illegal to have an electric fence on your land.
Jesus you are making yourself look really daft.

Old 03-11-2003, 01:02 AM
oldmolly

"Jason Pope" wrote in message
Victoria Clare wrote:

Also what happens if a guy with a heart condition gets shocked and
dies?

Oh c'mon. The English countryside is littered with electric fences. My
sister has one to keep her horses from eating a whole field at a time,
and I see them keeping cows in order quite often. It's a widely used
form of stock control.

The countryside yes, but you try putting it in your back garden/front
garden and see how quick the police get on your case!

Why would they get on your case? They are *not* illegal??

Old 03-11-2003, 01:02 AM
oldmolly

"Jason Pope" wrote in message
http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/walls.html

Protecting against Trespassers

Traditionally owners have put deterrents to trespassers on their wall or
fence and if it is a party wall just on their side. You will often have
seen spikes or broken glass or barbed wire on the top of walls.

However, if the wall/fence borders the public highway, then the local
authority has powers to protect the public by having the deterrent
removed if it thinks it could cause a danger to highway users. If the
deterrents causes a nuisance or by your negligence injures a passer by,
then they may be able to sue you. Err on the side of caution because if
the deterrent is considered to be excessive you could open yourself up
to a criminal prosecution for an injury caused.

Local Plod once told me (I live alone) that if I put spikes or glass on the
top of fences, so long as I did it to keep out unwanted cats (wink wink) it
was perfectly legal.

Does it realy fox the fox? John Towill United Kingdom 292 14-02-2004 09:34 AM
It's a Fox...not a coon... BenignVanilla Ponds 3 07-08-2003 01:32 PM
Is my Flying fox an SAE Scott Rogahn Freshwater Aquaria Plants 12 19-06-2003 10:32 AM
Fox toilet Judy Rigby United Kingdom 16 22-05-2003 07:08 PM
Urban fox hedgehog United Kingdom 5 18-03-2003 05:20 PM