Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2004, 02:35 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default [OTish] I think we might 'ave an 'awk!

Hi,

about a week or so back, one morning whilst glancing out of the window from
across the room, I saw what looked like an explosion in a pigeon factory -
feathers everywhere and rising in the wind to blow over towards our garden.

By the time I got to the window for a good look, there were just a few
drifting feathers.

I assumed 'something' had got a pigeon, but probably not on the ground
because of the height of the cloud of feathers.

Today, looking out on our lawn, there is a cluster of pigeon feathers but no
pigeon.

They weren't there about an hour ago.

The cats don't show any sign of pride in finally catching a piddy, and if
they have they have concealed the corpse very well and forgotten it very
quickly.

So methinks we may have a hawk.

We could do with one - there are a ridiculous number of pigeons around this
year and they keep pecking away at our plum trees.

Now wondering, if there is a hawk, where it takes its kill to eat.

Years back I saw one on the back fence with something in one claw, but I
presume they normally repair to somewhere discrete to partake of lunch.

We see Kestrels all the time, hovering over verges.

I presume that something which will take a full sized pigeon will be larger,
and hunt from a greater height.

Do they still hover, or do they drift around like the seagulls, just
looking?

Cheers
Dave R

I think my corn might be better off than I thought it was Suzanne D.[_2_] Edible Gardening 3 19-07-2009 07:19 AM
Ya know I think I might invest in Blue Tarps Dave Fouchey Orchids 18 27-02-2005 11:22 PM
OTish snake story kathy Ponds 3 25-02-2005 03:51 PM
OTish Beavers weave stolen cash into dam Ka30P Ponds 4 20-11-2004 05:50 PM
dam beavers - funny OTish K30a Ponds 3 01-08-2003 04:04 AM