Old 30-06-2004, 09:03 PM
The Watcher

Default Bush and his religion?

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 23:51:04 GMT, "John Watson" wrote:

(snip)
I may be a jerk but I do know what the truth is and it sure isn't some bible
thumper calling on some Santa Claus like bible character to destroy anyone
that doesn't believe the same bullshit as he does. G

Hey, I resent that(on behalf of Santa Claus). That bible character is nothing
like Santa Claus. If you're bad, Santa Claus puts some lumps of coal in your
stocking. No big deal. On the other hand, if that bible character(the one they
call god) decides you aren't worshipping him right or enough he'll send your ass
to the hell he created just for people like you. Not much similarity between
them. If I was going to believe in any sort of gods, I'd prefer to believe in a
good one like Santa Claus rather than an evil one like the christians have.
(snip)
Old 30-06-2004, 09:09 PM
John Watson

"Bill Oliver" wrote in message
In article dppEc.1397$XM6.1165@attbi_s53, John Watson
wrote:

"Bill Oliver" wrote in message
In article Dh4Ec.195489$Ly.75907@attbi_s01, John Watson
wrote:

Oh, I see, the bible only means what it says when probably interperted
by
Christian! Yeah right!

If the best you can do is deny that a parable is a parable in order
to promote your bigotry, I suggest you take your irrational hatred
elsewhere.

Yeah right! It has been noted that you deleted all of the bible quotes
that
you couldn't explain away as "parables".

The bottom line is that your lead example is false. Once you admit
that, I will be happy to move on to the next. The net habit of
throwing out a shotgun list of non-apropos tidbits, pretending
that they all apply to your point, and then jumping from one to
one in order to avoid dealing with your falsehoods is both classic
and easily dealt with. So, rather than jumping around, let's
deal with them one by one.

The first quote is a parable; Jesus did not give the command you
pretend. Once you admit this first falsehood of yours, we can
easily move on to the next.

My falsehood? It's a biblical quote that I have no interest in altering,
editing or lying about.

It's in the bible (God's reveled word) which seems to mean something
different to each Protestant Christian cult depending on their agenda.

If we can keep this discussion civil we won't bore the readers to death.

A parable is just a story used to illustrate a lesson. It conveys its
meaning by using a comparison analogy. Jesus used a parable to order his
minions to murder the Jews. The results have been horrible, bloodthirsty,
beyond the wildest imagination.

In the image of the parable Jesus told in Luke 19:11-27 (see below), he was
the nobleman who became king. Jesus directed this parable toward the Jewish
people who made up his audience (verses 1-9). These enemy-citizens
represented the Jews who reject Jesus as king. In verse 14 they were called
citizens, but by verse 27, through their rebellious refusal to accept the
nobleman's (Jesus’) kingship, they are now considered enemies. Therefore,
Jesus (the king in the parable) renders a judgment on the unfaithful and
disobedient. Just as Matthew’s Jesus declared, "He who is not with me is
against me . . ." (Matthew 12:30), Luke’s Jesus orders his followers to
murder those who reject his rule?and do it in front of him!

" But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them,
bring hither, and slay them before me.” (Luke 19:27)

Thus Christianity was molded with these words of Jesus for many generations
thereafter. How could Christians ignore Jesus’ call to action when the
Jewish people steadfastly rejected the dead man-god? Christians saw this
parable as a direct call from the lips of Jesus himself, to render a final
judgment on those who dared to reject Jesus?the bloody slaughter of those
who refused to carry the cross.

I have no hatred, just don't want people like you preaching a bunch of
nonsense to the uninformed.

Thomas Jefferson and I happen to agree on religious beliefs.

And to the sexual exploiation of slaves, no doubt.

Slaves? No, I don't own any but the bible doesn't condemn slavery, in fact
it encourges it.

Col 3;
17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord
Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.
18 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the
Lord.
19 Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them.
20 Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing
unto the Lord.
21 Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged.
22 Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not
with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God;
23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;
24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the
inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.
25 But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done:
and there is no respect of persons.

A slave must completely obey and fear his master, even if his master is
cruel and unjust

“Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good
and gentle, but also to the froward" (1 Peter 2:18). "Servants, be obedient
to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and
trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ" (Ephesians 6:5).

Whereas the men in any community invaded must be killed, the women and
children are to be taken as slaves

“And when the Lord thy God hath delivered [a city] into thine hands, thou
shalt smite every male thereof with the edge of the sword: But the women,
and the little ones, and the cattle, and all that is in the city, even the
spoil thereof, shalt thou take unto thyself; and thou shalt eat the spoil of
thine enemies, which the Lord thy God hath given thee” (Deuteronomy
20:13-14).

The Age of Reason

I believe in one God, and no more; and I hope for happiness beyond this
life.

I believe in the equality of man; and I believe that religious duties
consist in doing justice, loving mercy, and endeavoring to make our
fellow-creatures happy.

But, lest it should be supposed that I believe in many other things in
addition to these, I shall, in the progress of this work, declare the things
I do not believe, and my reasons for not believing them.

I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman
church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant
church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church.

All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish,
appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave
mankind, and monopolize power and profit.

Thomas Paine (1794)

John

Old 01-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Bill Oliver

In article z5EEc.5646$Oq2.4896@attbi_s52, John Watson wrote:
"Bill Oliver" wrote in message

My falsehood? It's a biblical quote that I have no interest in altering,
editing or lying about.

It's in the bible (God's reveled word) which seems to mean something
different to each Protestant Christian cult depending on their agenda.

If we can keep this discussion civil we won't bore the readers to death.

A parable is just a story used to illustrate a lesson. It conveys its
meaning by using a comparison analogy. Jesus used a parable to order his
minions to murder the Jews. The results have been horrible, bloodthirsty,
beyond the wildest imagination.

Good. At least you are at the point where you recognize that it
was just a story, and that Jesus, in his allegory was not
speaking literally. Nice first step.

So, let's look at your fanciful interpretation of this. Since you
claim that your interpretation represents Christian thought, and
what Jesus "really" meant (an odd claim for someone who doesn't
actually believe that he said anything at all), then you should
have no problem showing that your interpretation of this allegorical
tale does, in fact, represent the thinking as you claim.

Please feel free to show any modern mainstream theologian who
agrees with your interpretation. After all, it doesn't matter
what *you* believe it means -- since you are pretending that
it represents what *Christians* believe, you should be able
to document that.

I await your sources. Here, since we are talking about
Protestants, I'll give you a list:

Please provide a mainstream Baptist theologian who interprets it the
way you pretend:

Please provide a mainstream Lutheran:

Please provide a mainstream Methodist:

Please provide a mainstream Anglican:

Please provide a mainsream Presbyterian:

Go ahead.

billo
Old 01-07-2004, 03:03 AM
John Watson

wrote:
"Bill Oliver" wrote in message

My falsehood? It's a biblical quote that I have no interest in altering,
editing or lying about.

It's in the bible (God's reveled word) which seems to mean something
different to each Protestant Christian cult depending on their agenda.

If we can keep this discussion civil we won't bore the readers to death.

A parable is just a story used to illustrate a lesson. It conveys its
meaning by using a comparison analogy. Jesus used a parable to order his
minions to murder the Jews. The results have been horrible, bloodthirsty,
beyond the wildest imagination.

Good. At least you are at the point where you recognize that it
was just a story, and that Jesus, in his allegory was not
speaking literally. Nice first step.

Why are Christians always so arrogant, cocky and just plain nasty to people
who don't accept their fairy tale as fact?

Well I'm not going to play your little game, you don't make the rules.

The fact of the matter is that passage was used by Christians to murder
millions of innocent men, women and children.

Putting the burden of proof on me to show that mainstream Protestants didn't
endorse it, doesn't change the fact that it did happen.

You are probably a Baptist with an agenda that includes bashing Catholics
and will probably try to blame them for all of the Christian atrocities.

A Christian is a Christian is a Christian, I don't care which cult they
identify with or endorse.

Your dead-man "God" also said:
Luke 14:
25 And there went great multitudes with him: and he turned, and said unto
them,
26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife,
and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he
cannot be my disciple.
27 And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my
disciple

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his
creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who
is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the
individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such
thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism".

Albert Einstein

"A man is accepted into church for what he believes -- and turned out for
what he knows.".

Mark Twain

John

Old 01-07-2004, 04:07 AM
Blue

"John Watson" wrote in message

"Bill Oliver" wrote in message
Why are Christians always so arrogant, cocky and just plain nasty to

people
who don't accept their fairy tale as fact?

We all seek confirmation of our supernatural beliefs (or lack of) from
others, it is just human nature. Some just lack the strength to coexist
with others who believe they are wrong. The problem gets exquisite when one
raises his children to "believe" and either he or they changes their mind
about that belief.

The cockiness comes from the fact that this is a biblical country, no one
else is even allowed into federal power, so we are literally enveloped in
"confirmation."

Old 01-07-2004, 06:03 AM
John Watson

"Blue" wrote in message ...

"John Watson" wrote in message

"Bill Oliver" wrote in message
Why are Christians always so arrogant, cocky and just plain nasty to

people
who don't accept their fairy tale as fact?

We all seek confirmation of our supernatural beliefs (or lack of) from
others, it is just human nature. Some just lack the strength to coexist
with others who believe they are wrong. The problem gets exquisite when
one
raises his children to "believe" and either he or they changes their mind
about that belief.

The cockiness comes from the fact that this is a biblical country, no one
else is even allowed into federal power, so we are literally enveloped in
"confirmation."

I agree with most of your post but not that "this is a biblical country".

The founding fathers were for the most part Deists.

Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, February 10, 1814

Where the preamble declares, that coercion is a departure from the plan of
the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed by inserting
"Jesus Christ," so that it would read "A departure from the plan of Jesus
Christ, the holy author of our religion;" the insertion was rejected by the
great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend, within the mantle of
its protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mohammedan, the
Hindoo and Infidel of every denomination.

-Thomas Jefferson, Autobiography, in reference to the Virginia Act for
Religious Freedom

It is between fifty and sixty years since I read it [the Apocalypse], and I
then considered it merely the ravings of a maniac, no more worthy nor
capable of explanation than the incoherences of our own nightly dreams.

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to General Alexander Smyth, Jan. 17, 1825

James Madison:

What influence in fact have Christian ecclesiastical establishments had on
civil society? In many instances they have been upholding the thrones of
political tyranny. In no instance have they been seen as the guardians of
the liberties of the people. Rulers who wished to subvert the public liberty
have found in the clergy convenient auxiliaries. A just government,
instituted to secure and perpetuate liberty, does not need the clergy.
John

Old 01-07-2004, 08:02 AM
Blue

You are correct in that both Washington and Jefferson were not bible
believers. However both made many references to "god" - Washington even
regularly attended church and associated with clerics - and that was
enough to baffle the citizens into believing they were bible believers.
Yes, other "founding fathers" were also non -believers (Franklin and Paine)
but they did not hold national elected office. Paine went so far as to
ridicule the bible yet believe in "god" and was widely referred to even in
this day as an infidel.

The fact is that this government has never in our entire history had a
member of the federal government who was not a "believer" in biblical
mythology or a liar who said or implied (as above) that he was . That
makes America a de-facto theocracy.

It goes even deeper than that as your chances of any elected job anywhere is
nil if you identify yourself as a non-believer in the Jewish god system.

Workmen quite often put religious identifications on their trucks, yellow
page ads, etc. Doesn't hurt and might help but NOBODY goes around
publically identifying himself as a non-believer and that most certainly
includes our founding fathers. That is just not healthy.

Non-believers are thus effectively disenfranshised in America as they lack
the needed power base of Judeo-Christianity. Without that no amount of
qualification will do.

Old 01-07-2004, 09:02 AM
John Watson

"Blue" wrote in message ...
You are correct in that both Washington and Jefferson were not bible
believers. However both made many references to "god" - Washington even
regularly attended church and associated with clerics - and that was
enough to baffle the citizens into believing they were bible believers.
Yes, other "founding fathers" were also non -believers (Franklin and
Paine)
but they did not hold national elected office. Paine went so far as to
ridicule the bible yet believe in "god" and was widely referred to even in
this day as an infidel.

I think that they both were fairly open about their being Deists.

The fact is that this government has never in our entire history had a
member of the federal government who was not a "believer" in biblical
mythology or a liar who said or implied (as above) that he was . That
makes America a de-facto theocracy.

I was a member of the federal government for many years, or do you mean an
elected official?

It goes even deeper than that as your chances of any elected job anywhere
is
nil if you identify yourself as a non-believer in the Jewish god system.

Probably, but the times, they are changing.

Workmen quite often put religious identifications on their trucks, yellow
page ads, etc. Doesn't hurt and might help but NOBODY goes around
publically identifying himself as a non-believer and that most certainly
includes our founding fathers. That is just not healthy.

True.

Non-believers are thus effectively disenfranshised in America as they lack
the needed power base of Judeo-Christianity. Without that no amount of
qualification will do.

Probably.

Old 01-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Bill Oliver

In article nfKEc.7736$%_6.7019@attbi_s01, John Watson wrote:

Good. At least you are at the point where you recognize that it
was just a story, and that Jesus, in his allegory was not
speaking literally. Nice first step.

Why are Christians always so arrogant, cocky and just plain nasty to people
who don't accept their fairy tale as fact?

Well I'm not going to play your little game, you don't make the rules.

In other words, your bigoted representation is wrong, and you
cannot back it up.

The fact of the matter is that passage was used by Christians to murder
millions of innocent men, women and children.

Well, then, you will have no problem showing a modern mainstream
Protestant denomination that interprets the parable the way
you say they do. Here, one more time:

Name one mainstream Baptist theologian or denomination that does:
Name one mainstream Methodist theologian or denomination that does:
Name one mainstream Presbyterian theologian or denomination that does:
Name one mainstream Anglican theologian or denomination that does:
Name one mainstream Lutheran theologian or denomination that does:

Putting the burden of proof on me to show that mainstream Protestants didn't
endorse it, doesn't change the fact that it did happen.

In fact, asking you to prove your bizarre claims is exactly appropriate.
You have been making bigoted statements about Christianity, you have
been making broad generalizations about what Christians believe. It
is entirely reasonable to ask that you back up your claim. You
have provided an interpretation of a parable and represented it as
the "Christian" view. The burden of proof is *yours* to show that
it is.

You are probably a Baptist with an agenda that includes bashing Catholics
and will probably try to blame them for all of the Christian atrocities.

A Christian is a Christian is a Christian, I don't care which cult they
identify with or endorse.

No, most bigots cannot see outside their stereotyped generalizations.
That's rather the point.

billo

Old 01-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Bill Oliver

In article , Blue wrote:

"John Watson" wrote in message

"Bill Oliver" wrote in message
Why are Christians always so arrogant, cocky and just plain nasty to

people
who don't accept their fairy tale as fact?

We all seek confirmation of our supernatural beliefs (or lack of) from
others, it is just human nature. Some just lack the strength to coexist
with others who believe they are wrong. The problem gets exquisite when one
raises his children to "believe" and either he or they changes their mind
about that belief.

You shouldn't be so hard on John. He can't seem to help his
narrow-mindedness.

The cockiness comes from the fact that this is a biblical country, no one
else is even allowed into federal power, so we are literally enveloped in
"confirmation."

No, the "cockiness" comes from knowing that John is lying, and knowing
that it is easy to show the lie. But, hey, if you want to show he
is telling the truth, please feel free to provide the examples supporting
his claim:

Please provide one mainstream Bapist theologian or
denomination that promotes his interpretation:

Please provide one mainstream Lutheran:

Please provide one mainstream Anglican:

Please provide one mainstream Methodist:

Please provide one mainstream Presbyterian:

billo
Old 01-07-2004, 02:02 PM
escapee

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 19:36:12 -0700, "Blue" opined:

We all seek confirmation of our supernatural beliefs (or lack of) from
others, it is just human nature. Some just lack the strength to coexist
with others who believe they are wrong. The problem gets exquisite when one
raises his children to "believe" and either he or they changes their mind
about that belief.

The cockiness comes from the fact that this is a biblical country, no one
else is even allowed into federal power, so we are literally enveloped in
"confirmation."

Actually, this is a free country where we can practice any religion we want.
It's not a Christian country. However, the religious right who starts wars with
people in the middle east based on what God says in that Israel must be in order
for the messiah to return...oh forget it. Bunch of kooks.

Old 01-07-2004, 09:02 PM
John Watson

wrote:

Good. At least you are at the point where you recognize that it
was just a story, and that Jesus, in his allegory was not
speaking literally. Nice first step.

Why are Christians always so arrogant, cocky and just plain nasty to
people
who don't accept their fairy tale as fact?

Well I'm not going to play your little game, you don't make the rules.

In other words, your bigoted representation is wrong, and you
cannot back it up.

You call me bigoted when you attempt to blame all Christian evil on the
Catholics.

You are a bible thumping Baptist, hater's of anyone that disagreed with your
putrid Protestant cult.

Won't work bilbo boy, shifting the burden to me isn't the way we play this
game.

The fact of the matter is that passage was used by Christians to murder
millions of innocent men, women and children.

Putting the burden of proof on me to show that mainstream Protestants
didn't
endorse it, doesn't change the fact that it did happen.

Told you I'm not going to play your silly game. As a Baptist you would
dearly love to blame the Catholics for all Christian evil, won't work, silly
boy.

In fact, asking you to prove your bizarre claims is exactly appropriate.

Nothing bizarre, it is recorded history, unlike the bible.

You have been making bigoted statements about Christianity,

Not bigoted, just the truth! G

"I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature."

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every
opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if
there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of
blindfolded fear". (from The Life and Selected Writings of Thomas Jefferson)

Thomas Jefferson

You are probably a Baptist with an agenda that includes bashing Catholics
and will probably try to blame them for all of the Christian atrocities.

A Christian is a Christian is a Christian, I don't care which cult they
identify with or endorse.

No, most bigots cannot see outside their stereotyped generalizations.
That's rather the point.

That sure is the point and as a Baptist you fit the description of a bigot.

"The Bible is not my book and Christianity is not my religion. I could never
give assent to the long complicated statements of Christian dogma."

"...Let us discard all this quibbling about this man and the other man--this
race and that race and the other race being inferior, and therefore they
must be placed in and inferior position...Let us discard all these things,
and unite as one people throughout this land, until we shall once more stand
up declaring that all men are created equal." Speech, Chicago, Illinois,
July 10, 1858

Abraham Lincoln

John

Old 01-07-2004, 09:02 PM
John Watson

In article , Blue wrote:

"John Watson" wrote in message

"Bill Oliver" wrote in message
Why are Christians always so arrogant, cocky and just plain nasty to

people
who don't accept their fairy tale as fact?

We all seek confirmation of our supernatural beliefs (or lack of) from
others, it is just human nature. Some just lack the strength to coexist
with others who believe they are wrong. The problem gets exquisite when
one
raises his children to "believe" and either he or they changes their mind
about that belief.

You shouldn't be so hard on John. He can't seem to help his
narrow-mindedness.

He was explaining your narrow-mindedness, not mind. G

The cockiness comes from the fact that this is a biblical country, no one
else is even allowed into federal power, so we are literally enveloped in
"confirmation."

No, the "cockiness" comes from knowing that John is lying, and knowing
that it is easy to show the lie.

Show me where I am lying, you can't, you and your Baptist agenda are both
bullshit! G

But, hey, if you want to show he
is telling the truth, please feel free to provide the examples supporting
his claim:

Hahaha, bilbo boy not wants to shift the burden of proof to Blue!

Headline: He/she is not going to play your game of shift the burden either!

"However sugarcoated and ambiguous, every form of authoritarianism must
start with a belief in some group's greater right to power, whether that
right is justified by sex, race, class, religion, or all four. However far
it may expand, the progression inevitably rests on unequal power and
airtight roles within the family."
"It's an incredible con job when you think about it, to believe something
now in exchange for something after death. Even corporations with their
reward systems don't try to make it posthumous."

Gloria Steinem

John